Brewer Fanatic

AJ Burnett trade?

He really had a good under the radar season last year. He's the kind of pitcher the Brewers could use - lots of K's. But, he's available because he's a lock to miss probably at least 7-10 starts, which isn't really what the Brewers need.

Is his agent Boras? At least then you know he would likely opt out after this season.

Oh, definitely. I like him a lot, and the Brewers do have the depth to be able to absorb his missed starts, but the thing that scares me is that he Ben McDonald's all over them and he doesn't opt out because he gets some kind of 18 month arm injury.

He's solid but not reliable. According to mlb4u, though HE can opt out after this season, he's still owed $12MM per year in 2008, 2009, an 2010. I just don't know how comfortable I am giving 3 years $36MM to a guy who may make 20-25 starts, but could also miss the whole season, or have a major injury and give us nothing for $36MM. It'd basically be like adding another Sheets, but without the same potential for domination and higher probability of missing significant time.

His agent is listed as Darek Braunecker.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I think a package of Tony Gwynn Jr., Claudio Vargas, and Steve Moss would get him.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

With Burnett's injury history, I wouldn't be surprised if he never opts out of that ridiculous contract. Even with Boras as his agent, he'd be stupid to think anyone would give him that kind of money when he wasn't able to stay healthy for Toronto.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

I think the Jays would love to just get out from that contract, so a trade with no money being kicked in from Toronto would not have to involve any key players from the organization. If Toronto actually wants some decent players/prospects then they would have to kick in at least half of what he is owed in 2008 to lessen the burden of the two remaining seasons if Burnett doesn't opt out.

I am not sure Burnett would go for it, but perhaps he would consider a move to closer. If he could make that adjustment and help him stay healthy, I think he would be as dominant a closer as there is in baseball. If Coco heads elsewhere, which I think will happen, then I would seriously look at trading for AJ if he would be willing to go to the pen. Even as a starter, it would not hurt to explore a trade, although it might have to be a three team deal that would send one of the other starters to a team for a reliever as well.

With Burnett's injury history, I wouldn't be surprised if he never opts out of that ridiculous contract. Even with Boras as his agent, he'd be stupid to think anyone would give him that kind of money when he wasn't able to stay healthy for Toronto.

If he gets 30+ starts next year I'd bet my house he'd opt out. Teams desperate for pitching would talk themselves into thinking his injuries are behind him. Not to mention some teams can absorb the financial burden of a bad contract and take a gamble on his health more than others.
There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

Archived