Brewer Fanatic

Carlos Gonzales

splitterpfj

I've seen him mentioned as a player AZ may be looking to deal this winter, as they target starting pitching. He's got some power and at least decent speed, and he's a lefty, but his career OBP is .340. He's still very young, having just turned 22.

He's barely touched AAA, having played 10 games there this season, but he looks like a very talented young man, is he a possible target for the Brewers?

stats

He's a tremendous prospect, and has been the top rated outfielder by scout.com in the past. I thought for sure he would be untouchable, but with Arizona already having their outfield set for the next few years, he's definitely someone to target. It'll certainly take a lot to get him.

I'd take any of the three outfielders, DHonks, but I think I'd put Quentin third on the list right now. He's definitely a great prospect, just turned 25, minor league OPS of .940, with an OBP of .413, but I really want a lefty bat, and Quentin is coming off of shoulder surgery. I'd love to get him, but I think I'd ask for the others first.

We've had this discussion a few times before on the trade rumors forum, noting how a top prospect like Gonzalez (not Gonzales by the way, the way it was initially thought that he spelled his name up until a year or two ago) couldn't be any more blocked at the big-league level. Gonzalez is by far my favorite of the perceived extra outfielders in Arizona, as I know DHonks has had a place in his heart for Chris Carter, although I believe he was dealt to the Red Sox this past year (I don't remember as a part of what trade).

Gonzalez got off to a slow start this year at AA, but really picked up as the season went on. As you noted, he hasn't posted the greatest OBPs during his minor league career, but he is considered a really good, natural hitter with the ability to hit for both power and average, and that the walks and strikeouts will start to even out as he continues to mature. He's considered a prototypical right fielder with a very strong, accurate arm with the ability to play center.

However I don't think his acquisition is likely since the team seems more intent on finding more of a stopgap solution in LF, he isn't ready for the big-leagues as noted and I personally don't feel the Brewers and D-Backs match up very well. I'm sure the D-Backs are looking for pitching, but I think Gonzalez would fit more in rumors for pitchers such as Tim Lincecum and Chad Cordero than what the Brewers are likely to part with.

Thanks, Colby, I thought it was Gonzalez, but baseball-reference.com has him as Gonzales, so I went with it.

They should be able to get a very solid pitcher for a kid like that. How many teams would love to have Quentin or Gonzalez, and AZ is willing to move either guy, because they've got the OF spots filled. That scouting stuff must work sometimes.

Thanks Colby, I never heard about the Carter deal. Seems like a guy the A's or BoSox would love to have, as he just flat out produces. I still like Quentin, but would happily shoot for Gonzalez, too. I'm just a fan of Quentin's ability to help in 2008, with OBP and defense being solid for him

Archived