Brewer Fanatic

BA Top Prospect lists

colbyjack
Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Would David DeJesus be a fair comparison for Brantley?
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

DDJ put up a 288/373/436/809 in 413 ab between a+ and aa as a 22 yr old.

brantley went for 296/386/373/759 in 405 ab between a and aa as a 20 yr old so it would seem like DDJ might be a good comp for brantley, though brantley's two year age advantage and slightly better bb/k numbers might bode well for a little higher upside than DDJ?

I watched Brantley in Charleston, and I think he will be fine! You can't teach his patience at the plate, and knowledge of the strike zone. He is still very young, and has a lot of physical filling out to do yet. You have to remember that many of your A and AA hitters are guys that have spent 3 or 4 years in college and are 22 and 23...give the kid a chance! I think when he and Lorenzo Cain get another year or two of physical growth on them, they both could be solid 20 HR guys....neither will ever put up 40, but 20 shouldn't be out of the realm of reality. Brantley should turn out to be a good top of the order, or solid, productive 6 7 kinda guy!

Maybe I'm mis reading your post, Madrx, but Tom has worked with BA in the past. It's not a claim.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

The Brewers list is up:

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/prospects/features/265240.html

Matt LaPorta graces BA's homepage today:

http://www.baseballamerica.com/images/mlaporta07428309sof.jpg

Top 10 Prospects:

1. Matt LaPorta, of

2. Manny Parra, lhp

3. Alcides Escobar, ss

4. Jeremy Jeffress, rhp

5. Cole Gillespie, of

6. Mat Gamel, 3b

7. Brent Brewer, ss

8. Angel Salome, c

9. Lorenzo Cain, of

10. Caleb Gindl, of

Best orgnaizational tools:

Best Hitter for Average: Mat Gamel

Best Power Hitter: Matt LaPorta

Best Strike-Zone Discipline: Michael Brantley

Fastest Baserunner: Darren Ford

Best Athlete: Brent Brewer

Best Fastball: Jeremy Jeffress

Best Curveball: Nick Tyson

Best Slider: Robert Hinton

Best Changeup: R.J. Seidel

Best Control: Manny Parra

Best Defensive Catcher: Lou Palmisano

Best Defensive Infielder: Alcides Escobar

Best Infield Arm: Alcides Escobar

Best Defensive Outfielder: Darren Ford

Best Outfield Arm: Brendan Katin

Projected 2011 Lineup:

Catcher: Angel Salome

First Base: Prince Fielder

Second Base: Rickie Weeks

Third Base: J.J. Hardy

Shortstop: Alcides Escobar

Left Field: Matt LaPorta

Center Field: Ryan Braun

Right Field: Corey Hart

No. 1 SP: Yovani Gallardo

No. 2 SP: Ben Sheets

No. 3 SP: Manny Parra

No. 4 SP: Jeremy Jeffress

No. 5 SP: Carlos Villanueva

Closer: Rob Bryson

Keep in mind that the starting lineup is mostly for kicks, and shouldn't be taken too seriously (remember the debate when Prince Fielder and Richie Sexson were part of the same lineup years ago?).

Tom Haudricourt will chat about the Brewers with BA subscribers at 1pm CST.

For those with BA subscriber status, please don't copy and paste the entire scouting reports for the top 10 prospects. I'll add some snippets from those reports below:

LaPorta: The Brewers don't expect him to be more than an average LF. They say he's already better than Carlos Lee in LF.

Parra: If he doesn't crack the big-league rotation, don't be surprised if he's sent back to AAA for regular work.

Escobar: Scheduled to spend 2008 in AAA. Could move Hardy to 3B and Braun to LF.

Jeffress: Getting busted by the team for marijuana was actually the fourth time he has been caught, only once by an official MLB test.

Gillespie: Compared to Tim Salmon. AA in '08.

Gamel: Not moving off of 3B at this point in time. AA in'08.

Brewer: Highest potential as a 5-tool SS. Great range, arm, work ethic & leadership qualities. Should play in BC in '08.

Salome: Brewers are convinced we won't use performance enhancing drugs again.

Cain: Compared to Corey Hart as an all-around athlete, team expecting a similar breakout season at AA.

Gindl: Ceiling is limited as he's maxed out physically.

AA should be loaded next year if LaPorta, Gamel, Gillespie and Cain all start the season there, likely joining Brantley and possibly joined by Salome.

Interesting comment on Hardy moving to 3rd. I don't think that's been mentioned before.

3. Alcides Escobar, ss

Best Defensive Infielder: Alcides Escobar

Best Infield Arm: Alcides Escobar

Escobar: Scheduled to spend 2008 in AAA. Could move Hardy to 3B and Braun to LF.

I've never watch Alcides Escobar play before, but seeing how highly he has been rated by BA given his offensive numbers, he should be really spectacular defensively or could it be an exaggeration?

Escobar gets as high of a ranking as he does for his glove and age relative to the levels he has played at more so than his bat. I've never seen him play in person either, but according to every report I have seen and hear, he is truly a special player defensively with outstanding range, hands, feet and a cannon for an arm. Tom H. noted in today's chat that his prowess defensively did somewhat play into his high ranking since so few other prospects in the system are known for their D'. He has some upside as a hitter, but it is definitely limited.

So far nothing surprising from Tom H in the BA chat. I'll leave it at that.

Just a few initial reactions. I don't understand the Escobar love. He seems to project as a great fielding SS with a very average bat. Seems like he would be a great back-up someday. Just too limited of a ceiling.

I wonder how much (if any) they discounted Jeffress for his inability to get his head on straight.

I like Gamel more than that. (see picture)

Salome may be closer to the bigs, but I consider Lucroy a better prospect.

Mat Gamel intrigues me. If he's as good a hitter as it appears, why do some consider him blocked no matter where he plays? I understand he's not great defensively, so that limits things. However, with Braun & LaPorta arriving before him (in all likelihood) in Milwaukee, why couldn't there conceivably be room if, say, Hall could attract some pitching help down the line (just an example)?
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

The Astros' top 10 list is up today:

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/prospects/features/265244.html

I don't know about everyone else, but despite being two years removed from the World Series I don't really consider the Astros much of a threat over the next several years. Starting with mismanagement at the top, the failure to sign top draft picks, losing most of their top draft picks while spending seemingly foolishly on the free agent market and losing their dominance scouting Venezuela not too long ago, this is a team that really needs to start over and place an emphasis from the bottom up. They have several good hitters in the middle of their lineup, and some talent worth pointing to, not to mention one of the most dominant starters in the NL, but again, I just don't sense the Astros are going back up anytime soon.

And to me they have been leaning this way for a few years now. I think they're desparately trying to hold onto the fact that they are only two years removed from the World Series.

As a fan, I don't mind seeing this, but as a fan of Coop...nah, I still don't mind seeing this http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif.

Sapp had a tough year at Lexington in the Sally League, but I'm sure the Astros still think mighty high of him. He's still 3-4 years away from the big-leagues if he ascends one level at a time. I've always been a big fan of Sapp's, as he's a great kid and I hope he bounces back next season.

The Pirates top 10 list is up today:

http://www.baseballamerica.com/online/prospects/features/265251.html

Not nearly as bad as the Astros, but the Pirates are sorely lacking in impact talent. McCutchen is a good, not great #1 prospect (I would guess there are 15-20 teams out there at least that have a better #1 guy), and Neil Walker has promise, they've lost a ton of top pitchers to injury in recent years, they've netted some mediocre talent in trading some of their better players (Aramis Ramirez) and they make goofy draft decisions such as taking a college reliever (Daniel Moskos) last year with the fourth overall pick, and of course the Bryan Bullington selection (over B.J. Upton) with the first overall pick in 2002.

Not that I mind http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif.

• 1 month later...

Way behind updating the team-by-team lists as they come out. Oh well, I'm sure everyone knows where to find them if they're interested.

Jim Callis has a column out listing his annual 31st team, a list of prospects and their respective scouting reports that just missed the organizational top 30 lists that will be released in the prospect handbook (which I keep forgeting to order).

Anyway, the Brewers had two guys that just missed...(free content):

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/prospects/features/265470.html

Tim Dillard, rhp, Brewers

Born: July 19, 1983. B-T: B-R. Ht.: 6-4. Wt.: 205. Drafted: Itawamba (Miss.) CC, D/F 2002 (34th round). Signed by: Doug Reynolds.

Once considered a future candidate for the Milwaukee rotation, Dillard was so inconsistent in 2007 that he was moved to the bullpen in Triple-A at midseason. His future in the big leagues now appears to be as a middle reliever. The son of former big league infielder Steve Dillard, Tim isn't overpowering, usually sitting at 88-92 mph with his fastball. He relies on a sinker that bores in on righthanders and a slider that he tries to keep in on lefties. His slider and changeup remain inconsistent, forcing him to rely heavily on his sinker, which has good downhill plane. Dillard is a smart pitcher and hard worker, so the Brewers expect him to get to the majors, probably as a reliever used to go once through the lineup. They sent him to the Arizona Fall League to continue to hone his pitchers and become accustomed to coming out of the bullpen. He'll return to Triple-A at the start of 2008.

Derek Miller, lhp, Brewers

Born: Nov. 8, 1981. B-T: L-L. Ht.: 6-1. Wt.: 215. Drafted: Vermont, 2004 (47th round). Signed by: Tony Blengino.

Miller is a big-body lefty sometimes compared to David Wells in physique and style, though he's not as big as Wells. Signed as a fifth-year senior out of Vermont, Miller is 26 and has pitched just 11 games above Class A. Neverthless, the Brewers believe he'll find a niche in the major leagues because he has four pitches that are all around average. Miller works with an 88-90 mph fastball, a curveball, slider and changeup. He throws strikes and has a knack for setting up hitters, keeping them off balance. Miller's stuff seemed to play up a little after his promotion to Double-A last July, an encouraging sign. He's a lefty with a feel for pitching, and Milwaukee will move him to Triple-A in 2008.

How cool is it that we now have this tier of prospects that aren't going to be stars necessarily but will fill a niche and have a career at the big league level. I can't recall us ever having this second tier (even though I know I'm probably missing something here).

Archived