Brewer Fanatic

BF.Net Roundtable - Billy Butler

splitterpfj

I'd like to hear some feedback on some of the exciting young players in the game, please feel free to share your thoughts.

First up, Kansas City's Billy Butler - Butler

Drafted 14th overall, at age 18, Butler is already in the big leagues, at age 21. His minor league OPS was .977, he averaged one home run every 21 ABs, with a batting average of .336.

Butler does not have great speed, and isn't much with the glove, but he projects to be a monster with the bat.

If you've seen him play, or you've followed his ascent to the Royals, what do you project for this young man? Who does he compare to from recent years in MLB, etc?

I honestly didn't know Butler's minor league numbers were as good as they were. A minor league OPS of .977 definitely supports why this kid is already in the big leagues.

Butler reminds me a little of Braun in that the Royals reached a little to get him, otherwise he probably would have gone 10-15 picks later (and possibly farther), but he had refined offensive skills coming out of high school and many projected that he would move quickly or have an immediate impact at college (he was a Florida recruit, where his skills are actually somewhat similar to former Gator Matt LaPorta). Natural power and very good bat speed led almost everyone that had the chance to see Butler to believe that he would be an equally natural run producer.

Unlike the athletic Braun, whose future at third base (where Butler was originally drafted) is in question, Butler may be a DH at best. He's been tried everywhere, which in his case is left field and first base, and he doesn't project particularly well at either position. The good thing for him is that the Royals are strong at the IF and OF corners, and may not have a problem with him being a future DH.

Alex Gordon and Butler may produce a 3-4 tandem very similar to the Brewers' Braun-Fielder, although the Royals are still working on the rest of the supporting cast while the Brewers seem to have most of their future lineup in place.

Butler is just so incredibly interesting because who breaks into the big leagues as a designated hitter? Butler may play a little more left field and first base, but I think he'll be a career DH by the time he's 25. I'd hate to say it since it is so incredibly unfair, but his upside is that of a Manny Ramirez or Gary Sheffield as a hitter, with Pat Burrell being a more grounded comparison.

Here's what I wrote about him 3-4 years ago:

http://www.brewerfan.net/ViewAmateurPlayerProfile.do?playerId=229&draftId=2

One post compares him to Manny Ramirez, the next post says he may be the dumbest player ever, with great instincts....is that not also a great Manny comparison?

I think Butler's going to be a total monster, I think he'll have a solid 2008, then really make a move in '09.

Archived