Brewer Fanatic

Buying a Smart Phone

rluzinski

What can Brewerfan.net Nation tell me about smartphones? I've been focusing in on Sprint, since their internet plan only adds $15/month. The two Sprint phone front runners are the Mogul ($300) and the Centro ($100):

http://nextelonline.nextel.com/NASApp/onlinestore/en/Action/DisplayPhones?filterString=PDA_Smartphone_Phone_Char&id12=UHP_PhonesTab_Link_PCAandSmartphones

Both have decent reviews on CNet.com but I haven't fallen in love with either (well, I really like the Mogul but the price is a little high for me). Anyone have these phones or any smartphone? I'm still open to any carrier, really.

I have actually been looking into them as well. My choice after some research has been the Moto Q 9M for Verizon. I went to the store and played around with a few of them and liked the Motorola Q the best. The buttons on the keypad are bigger and the interface is intuitive.

I'd suggest actually going in-store to use a live version of each phone so you get a feel for the operating system.

I've been a Verizon user for 5+ years because they have the best coverage nationwide. I travel a lot and need the coverage area. Their internet/ email fee are pretty steep though ($30+ I think).

I'm actually going to get mine tonight or tomorrow. I'll let you know my early review.

What kind of features do you "need"? I think that could also help to steer you in a direction.

I would take a look at the new Blackberry Pearl offerings. Verizon and Sprint are launching their versions this month, previously the Pearl was only available on GSM networks like AT&T. This is Blackberry's first phone aimed at the consumer, I also think Verizon and Sprint are doing some data plan repricing along with the lauch. I read somewhere the price of the phone for Verizon customers will be around $149 after mail in rebate.

From what I understand, one thing to keep in mind about Sprint is that if you're away from a city or a main highway, coverage will be zilch.

Verizon, on the other hand, frequently partners with Alltel for coverage. Between the two, you're in great shape.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

I've used..

Treo: 600, 650, 700w, 700wx

Blackberry: 8830

Misc Mobiles: Q, and some other mobile platform I can't think of.

All in all, best all around device goes to the 8830. Not only does it have by far the best cell phone reception (Quad band "world phone" 4tw) it also has the best email integration I've seen or used. With that said, if you are looking to dink around on the internet any of the Windows Mobile platforms work well. (700w+, Q) but the reception seems to be lacking at least on the Verizon footprint. So if you are looking for something best all around, I'd look at a blackberry as long as you are ok not being on the Windows Mobile platform.

I've got the Mogul and I swear by it. I don't know what I would do without it at this point.

RE: the Sprint coverage issue - yes; I have had a few issues with coverage, but I travel for work 100% of the time and don't notice as many outages as you'd think due to all of the bad reports. Of course Verizon's network is better, it is the best. The way I look at it is this: the company I work for pays the cell bill and would reimburse me if I was to switch carriers (they have a Sprint business account). I don't see it as a big enough issue to go ahead and switch carriers even though it would be free either way.

So I've had the Moto Q 9M for exactly 3 days and so far I love it.

The good:

Interface is easy to use and intuitive

Screen is beautiful

Phone is really freaking cool to look at.

Features are too many to name

Click wheel is awesome

Windows mobile is everything I'd hoped and better.

Windows media player and documents to go software is really cool.

Reception and call clarity have been great so far.

The Bad:

Internal memory in the unit is very small. Shouldn't be a big deal with the added-on 1 GB SD card but every time I save more than a few emails/ text messages I get an alert that the phone's memory is running low and I should transfer files to the SD card.

Battery life is terrible. I ordered the extended life battery but it hasn't come in yet.

Bluetooth headset that came with the package I bought is crappy at best.

Ringers are a little quiet and the vibration function don't exactly make you take notice.

All and all I'm very happy with the unit.

I got a sweet deal that made it hard to pass up. I got the phone, car charger, bluetooth headset, case, memory card, extended battery and extra home charger for under $300.

Unlimited data/text with 1350 minutes for $129/month.

Good luck with your search Russ.

I don't see it as a big enough issue to go ahead and switch carriers even though it would be free either way.
bullox, would you characterize this issue as big enough to make a difference if you were starting from scratch?

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

That's a good question. If I found a Mogul equivalent (or better) that Verizon offered then yes, I would start would Verizon. If I didn't find a phone that does everything that the Mogul does, then I would start with Sprint.

I've got the Centro and I like it. I haven't done any email from it (I never email anyone anyway) so I can't vouch for that though. It has significantly upped my volume of text-messaging as the tiny keyboard is actually very easy to use and pretty much mistake free (and I have large hands). I also bought a 2GB microSD card to go along with it which enables you to put some music on it, which is pretty neat. It has google earth, which is also very cool (no more printing out mapquest directions), but maybe every phone has that now, I'm not really sure.

I was going to get the Mogul because that's the only phone Sprint has that supports Wi-fi, but my wife convinced me it was foolish to get that when the iPhone is comparably priced. I figure I'll scoop up an iPhone once a safe way to unlock it from AT&T has been found (they say unlocking phones is legal).

Archived