Brewer Fanatic

Brad Lidge

What concerns me is that Lidge didn't drop his SLGA at all in 2007. Is that too small a sample to justify concern? I'd bet his SLGA will drop in '08, but if he can't do anything to reduce it, he wouldn't be very reliable.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Would Vargas for Lidge be enough?
If that would be enough, we would have had Lidge at the deadline last year. Lidge actually had a pretty good year last year, I would love to acquire him.

But I think his price would be closer to Villanueva.

And the problem is that Houston doesn't think they are rebuilding yet. They still think they can spend a lot of money this offseason and be right back in the NL race. If they falter badly to start the season, I could see him on the block. Until then, I can't imagine them trading him.

I don't think the Astros are willing to use him to close anymore.
What makes you say that? He was their closer this past year from July 19th through the end of the season.

He had a 1.25 WHIP, he struck out 88 in 67 innings, he had a BAA of .219.

Granted, I don't follow Houston much, but I can't see any reason why they wouldn't expect him to be a closer again this year. If Cordero is worth 4 years and 40 million on the open market, Lidge can't be too far behind.

Last three seasons:

Brad Lidge, 31 R/R

3.68 ERA, 1.27 WHIP, 12.5 K/9, 3.8 BB/9, 1.02 HR/9

Claudio Vargas, 30 R/R

5.04 ERA, 1.47 WHIP, 6.7 K/9, 3.2 BB/9, 1.55 HR/9

Man, are the Stro's really that desperate for starting pitching that they would take Vargas for our pick of Lidge or Luke Scott (as I think was proposed in another thread)? Heck, why not package them together and offer Vargas and Bush/Cappy for Lidge and Scott with prospects rounding out the deal as necessary? Lidge has one season in the past five years with an *ERA+ under 121 and Scott would be a perfect replacement for Jenkins. I think we might actually come out ahead with the salaries even with that, allowing us to make a serious push for Linebrink and Cordero (or possibly Schilling).

Just finishing my arguement...

15 Brad Lidge 78.600 A

Lidge is a class "A" free agent and likely to keep that ranking when he becomes a free agent in a year. Would you trade Vargas for 2 first rounds picks? I sure as heck would!

Add to that the fact that we would get a year of Lidge (A potential all star closer) for a year as well. Lidge will have a very high asking price.

Man, are the Stro's really that desperate for starting pitching that they would take Vargas for our pick of Lidge or Luke Scott?

When your WHOAs are SOLVVD by Jason Jennings heading into 2007, yea, you could say that.

Turnbow posted pretty similar numbers to Lidge in 2007. Honestly, the numbers are freaky close. The main differences are TBow's MUCH better SLGA, and Lidge's lower BB total.

The value Vargas brings is his ability to throw many more innings than a RP. Why is that to be laughed at?

Its hard to value Lidge. If he is still seen as a closer, Vargas isn't enough. If a setup guy, he's overpaid. Astro's management should trade him since they are still 4 pitchers short of a rotation and are missing starting quality catcher, 2B, SS, and 3B. If they want to have a shot while Oswalt is still there they need to rebuild quickly so trading Lidge for prospects makes little sense. That said theses are the same Astros that gave Lee his contract.

Considering what they're paying Lee, Oswalt, and Berkman, they should be building for now. That said, it's no surprise that the Lee signing didn't make much of a difference.

I'd be more than willing to do a "change of scenery" swap of Turnbow for Lidge.

Robert

Archived