Brewer Fanatic

Anyone like Hank Blalock in a part-time role?

I don't know how many of you all read Sports Illustrated, but their most recent issue has a "Fire Up the Hot Stove" section written by Joe Sheehan of Baseball Prospectus. He suggests 5 trades that should happen league-wide this offseason. The following is the one of interest to us (with a summary of the article as well):

Brewers trade SS Alcides Escobar to the Rangers for 3B Hank Blalock

Rationale:

- Thinks Braun could move to RF (says that he's the first 3B in 14 years to have a sub-.900 fielding percentage)

- Hart to CF, where he'd be stretched a little

- Hall to 3B in a platoon role, as both he and Blalock are "high-split" guys.

- Says that Blalock would be a key lefty bat on a team that "lists to the right"

- For Texas, Escobar would be a glove-first SS that could eventually move Michael Young to 3B

I looked into Blalock, and he clearly would be a platoon player. He's a career .292/.358/.504 (.862) hitter against RHP, .226/.280/.349 (.629) against LHP. As we're all well-aware, Hall is stronger against LHP.

I've never been a big fan of Blalock and always thought he was overrated, but in a relatively strict platoon role he could be a nice addition, a left handed bat with some pop, and an adequete defensive 3B. I certainly don't think that Escobar alone would be too steep a price. What do you think?

Hall is not going to be a platoon guy either. Sheehan needs to get a clue.

Yeah, that was the other aspect of this. I wouldn't mind a guy like Blalock that hits righties that well, but putting Hall as the right handed portion of a platoon will really cut into his ABs (ask Kevin Mench). Hall's career splits (.771 OPS vs RHP, .834 vs LHP) aren't nearly as dramatic as Blalock's.

Although I think you're probably right sbrylski06 (about Braun being the 3B next year), I think the Brewers would be foolish not to at least consider shuffling Braun to the OF if the right opportunity presented itself. I don't know that Hank Blalock would be "that guy", but you get what I'm saying.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
In the last 3 years, Hall had 2 very good seasons, followed by one that was just a touch below average. There's nothing to suggest he's not capable of once again putting up a solid .825 or better OPS for several more years. One mediocre season does not mean that a player should be dropped into a platoon role.

This is a good idea. You wouldn't have to move Hall to a platoon role - an outfield of Braun in left, Hall in center, and Hart in right is probably just fine.

Joe Dillon would make an adequate platoon partner for Blalock if no other alternatives emerge.

I'm somewhat skeptical that Escobar would be enough for Blalock, though.

Archived