Brewer Fanatic

Laundry question

Weirdos19

OK folks. Settle a seven year arguement that Teri and I have had going on. Teri does 90% of the laundry and I do 90% of the dishes, so this arguement doesn't come up often.

When I do laundry, I fill my washer about 6 inches from the top, not packing anything down. She says that's too high. We have a regular size washer and we aren't large people. So, I tell her she doesn't fill the washer enough. Here are the size of the loads she does:

If she does a load of Towels: 6-7 towels

Jeans? 6 pairs - 8 if doing my jean shorts in the summer (Yes, I'm stuck in the early 90's)

It just seems as though she is doing more work than she has to. And I think we use way, way too much water.

Am I right?

If you're worried about water, you should switch to a front loading machine. Besides having a higher capacity, they use less water than top-loaders.

That said, your question was about "who's right, me or my wife?"

I can tell you that the answer--regardless of the question--is always, your wife is right and you are wrong. Because winning an argument about laundry isn't worth the loss you're sure to take about something more important.

And if you're doing dishes 90 percent of the time, you're losing that trade off anyway.

You were all waiting on the 'female poster perspective', weren't you? http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

I do not worry a great deal about filling the washer too full. I wouldn't put so much in that it would be hard to remove an item is needed, but Weirdos19's stated M.O. doesn't sound unreasonable to me.

I can't measure a load as he does, though (6" from the top), because we have a front loading washer - which kind of makes it harder to overfill the basin anyway.

As for water usage, depending on the settings of your washer, you may have a lower-water-use option of some sort. We have a "quick" cycle which I think uses less water. Then again, the front loader is supposed to use less water to begin with.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

If you're worried about water, you should switch to a front loading machine. Besides having a higher capacity, they use less water than top-loaders.

Yes -- Plus the clothes come out dryer as well, so your clothes spend less time in the dryer. I like our front loader a lot -- The agitator in the top load

started putting little holes in our clothes, so I begrudgingly made the switch -- but it is well worth the investment.

I do the laundry, the dishes, the cooking and the cleaning at my house. My wife and 3 daughters keep me supplied with an endless amount of clothes, I can wear stuff for a couple days. Especially if the shirt I had on helped the Brewers win the night before! So anyways here's what I got.

Fill the washer with water, detergent and bleach if desired before adding clothes. An average load size is 7-9 lbs. Most washers have some sort of load size gauge you can adjust. Mix the size of things your washing- big things like towels with socks, underwear, etc. It helps them move around more freely. A load of all big thing turns into a lump and might not clean thoroughly. Also separate brighter colors from dark colors. I can give you my recipe for my fettuccine alfredo with grilled chicken, roasted red peppers, herbs and pesto I've recently perfected too. It rocks!

Ok then. Let's see the recipe.

Also, I never seperate the whites from the colors and I stuff the washer full with clothes and then turn it on. The more clothes the better which makes for less loads. Important when dealing with a family of 4 with a 3 year old daughter than can go through 4 outfits on a given day. Never had any problems and I've had the washer for over 10 years.

Here ya go Barbs4339, I'll give you a recipe for two and you can double it to feed the whole clan. That's what I do, but have to make this recipe 2 times because of saute pan space.

Marinate two 4-6 oz. chicken breasts for a couple hours then grill. I usually use a mix of melted butter, lemon juice, chablis and salt & pepper. You can use precooked chicken if you don't want to grill it. Dice the chicken and set aside.
I usually roast the red pepper while I grill the chicken.
Boil the fettuccine al dente, drain and rinse with cold water. A one pound box will feed a family of 4.
Then in a 10-inch saute pan (or close to) add 4 Tbs butter and minced garlic to taste (I use about 1 Tbs) cook on med-high heat
Add chicken to melted butter/garlic combo
Add pesto to taste ( I use 2 Tbs) and spices if desired like oregano, basil, thyme etc
Add 2 cups heavy whipping cream
When the cream starts to bubble, add 1/2 to 1 cup of shredded Parmesan cheese (I like it thick!)
keep stirring mixture while it thickens for about 2 minutes then add your noodles (1/2 of the one pound box) turn off heat
toss in pan to coat noodles
garnish with diced red pepper and parsley and BAM!

that's off the top of my head so I might be forgetting something but it's pretty easy and healthy too, or maybe not

Archived