Brewer Fanatic

Do we need a WNBA team?

jaybird2001wi

With the Seattle Storm possibly losing a ton of money and there has been talk of them relocating to another city within a couple years, could it be possible we may house them?

Imagine having Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson in Milwaukee and being a role model for the female athletes around. I would think some fans would embrace a team like them. And I know I am probably going to get a total thrashing of, "Bad idea!" or "Why?" But why not? It won't take much to support a WNBA team and we got the two facilities (with the former US Cell Arena being a possible backup plan?).

How do the Milwaukee Do's (a deer, a female deer) sound? Or how about the Milwaukee Riverwoods?

Jaybird, the Milwaukee Does were the name of the original women's league team in Milwaukee from 1978-81.

http://www.wblmemories.com/ebay.h2.jpg

http://www.wblmemories.com/images/DoesTeamPhoto78.jpg

"His whole life is a fantasy camp. People should plunk down $2000 to live like him for a week. Sleep, do nothing, fall ass-backwards into money, mooch food off your neighbors and have sex without dating... THAT'S a fantasy camp."

burnie, that has got to be the most ridiculous sports logo of all-time. Looks like Bambi donned a cartoonish wave of weird hair.

You have to remember that was 1978 and they likely weren't dealing with much of a budget. It was probably done by a fan in a mascot contest or something like that.

"His whole life is a fantasy camp. People should plunk down $2000 to live like him for a week. Sleep, do nothing, fall ass-backwards into money, mooch food off your neighbors and have sex without dating... THAT'S a fantasy camp."

If you're interested, there are a bunch of pictures here: http://www.wblmemories.com/milwaukee.htm

i issued this rant before but here it goes again. This city is over-saturated with sports franchises. Its really hard for a city with a metropolitan population of about 1 million to support Marquette, Brewers, Bucks, Admirals, Wave, BoneCrushers, Panthers. Add to it alot of people from the area regularly attend Badgers and Packers games. Also add the all the arts venues we have (PAC, Riverside, Pabst, Rave, Milwaukee Theatre, The Cell, etc). I really don't like the idea of bringing in new things when the things that have been here for a while are suffering.

I wasn't living in Milwaukee back then, but didn't the Does have a home game where only *one* fan showed up?

I just don't see Milwaukee as a city that is progessive enough to support professional women's athletics. Marquette's and UWM's basketball/volleyball/soccer/etc teams are barely supported as it is.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
If a blue collar town like Milwaukee can't support arena league football, then women's basketball has no chance.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

homer we supported the arena football team very well. The problem was that the bc was being closed for renevations one summer, noone told the mustangs, so they were homeless and had to leave. I think the bigger point is that bringing is a wnba team, the bonecrushers, the mustangs whatever is going to only hurt the brewers. A team that alot of people in this city like and just built a new stadium for. Just as college teams like mu and uwm only hurt the bucks.

Sounds like the Sonics and the Storm will be going to OK City. Oklahoma City SuperSonics- that's a short name.

But the question that needs to be answered: are there any Super Sonics in Oklahoma City?

Archived