Brewer Fanatic

Vote for Crew Broadcasters Powell, Schroeder or Molina, amogst others, for HoF Frick Award

And That

Click here.

I don't want to be a total homer, so I won't pretend Powell, Schroeder or Molina are the three best options amongst the many broadcast personalities out there, but I'm just sayin', they are options. If you comment in this thread, please steer clear of this becoming any sort of pro/con Schroeder thread.

I would like to hear everyone's thoughts about who they are voting for here.

Bill King.

I always vote for him, because he was GREAT. He's one of the best announcers I have ever heard, and he always made it entertaining.

Tom Hamilton - Normally I don't like overly obnoxious guys, but Hamilton is an exception.

Jim Powell - Obviously.

The Frick Award really needs to be awarded every 2-3 years only, maybe even four years, like an Olympics. Basically, within the next 10-15 years or so, when you add the past Frick award winners with those about to go in, every long-term announcer will have been voted in to the Hall of Fame. And part of that is unfortunate, because longevity in the business (or more importantly, longevity with one organization), doesn't necessarily equate to greatness.

I can see it now in 2017 -- for his tireless work in the past decade for the Tampa Bay Devil Rays, __________.

And the Hall really needs to officially honor scouts somehow.

This if from the Hall of Fame. I think Bob Uecker signs his autographs with an "HOF" now (I have a pre-award Uecker ball), but it is important to distinguish that technically he's an award winner, not a Hall inductee:

The Ford C. Frick Award is presented annually during the Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony. Each award recipient (not to be confused with an inductee) is presented with a calligraphy of the award during the Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony and is recognized in the "Scribes & Mikemen" exhibit in the Library of the National Baseball Hall of Fame. Below is a complete list of the Ford C. Frick Award recipients.

Who are the only three Frick Award recipients who also played in the major leagues? The answer is Joe Garagiola, Bob Uecker, and Jerry Coleman.

1978 - Mel Allen, Red Barber
1979 - Bob Elson
1980 - Russ Hodges
1981 - Ernie Harwell
1982 - Vin Scully
1983 - Jack Brickhouse
1984 - Curt Gowdy
1985 - Buck Canel
1986 - Bob Prince
1987 - Jack Buck
1988 - Lindsey Nelson
1989 - Harry Caray
1990 - By Saam
1991 - Joe Garagiola
1992 - Milo Hamilton
1993 - Chuck Thompson
1994 - Bob Murphy
1995 - Bob Wolff
1996 - Herb Carneal
1997 - Jimmy Dudley
1998 - Jaime Jarrin
1999 - Arch McDonald
2000 - Marty Brennaman
2001 - Rafael "Felo" Ramírez
2002 - Harry Kalas
2003 - Bob Uecker
2004 - Lon Simmons
2005 - Jerry Coleman
2006 - Gene Elston
2007 - Denny Matthews

Can I vote to EXCLUDE some of these guys? http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

And if I hear one more media creature on WSCR call for Ken Harrelson for the frickin' Frick Award, I'll puke...

"So if this fruit's a Brewer's fan, his ass gotta be from Wisconsin...(or Chicago)."

Archived