Brewer Fanatic

With all due respect to EDR...

LouisEly
...because it was nice to see him make an appearance from his hiatus in the opening day minor league thread, but is anyone else a bit concerned that Chuckie Fermaint is still in A-ball (Brevard County) in his fifth season in the minors? Perhaps even more concerning is that he couldn't beat out the likes of Ron Davenport (who?) and Mel Stocker (who??) for a spot on the Huntsville roster. Unless I'm missing something, not being able to beat out a couple of minor league free agents for the starting LF job in Huntsville may say a lot about what the Brewers think about his development (or lack thereof).

Does this mean that Gillespie, who is more than a year older than Chuck REALLY sucks?

I think that Reid Nichols has a plan to keep some of the latino kids at the same level, and we would all agree that Escobar wasn't ready for advancement, so why not let Fermaint hang out in Florida with Escobar and Parejo at least until Ford is healthy?

Also I think the CF thing seems to be important.

Stupid Steve Moss!

Shouldn't Katuluu's comments have been in blue? We're talking about Steve Moss, a guy who has purposely been left off of the 40-man and exposed to the Rule 5 draft.

My point is that Fermaint is in his 5th year, and IIRC will be a minor league free agent after his sixth season, but isn't even in AA yet. It has nothing to do with his age - I understand he is still only 21 - but if he becomes a free agent after his sixth season then has two years to advance from A to the big leagues. Or am I wrong about guys becoming free agents after their sixth year in the minors?

they become free agents after year 6 if they havent been added to the 40 man...

i'm guessing that fermaint would fall into the "sarfate" rule category, so he should get an extra option year, meaning he has this year, plus 2 more to make it to the show...

since he should play half of this season at AA, there's no worries..

The Brewers seem to be slowing almost everyone down this year - maybe it is a new organizational philosophy. I could list another 8-10 guys who I thought would have been sure-bets for promotion, but are stuck with the same clubs they were last year. Could be that with a much better big league team, there's less of a need to rush anyone, especially non-front line prospects.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

they become free agents after year 6 if they havent been added to the 40 man..

Six-year free agent is a bit of a misnomer. The term is derived from the fact that a player can have his contract renewed six times. What that means is that the total number of years is seven that a player is under control.

And it wouldn't surprise anyone if Fermaint is added to the 40-man roster before those seven years were up. And no, Fermaint was not Rule 5 eligible this past off-season.

Archived