Brewer Fanatic

Who has a more prestigious job?

BrewCityUnit

Hmmm...really?

Is it just becuase of the school he is coaching at and the time he is coaching (Big Ten...usually ranked)? Otherwise 30 MLB managers vs. How many college head coaches? I guess I'm not seeing that his job is more prestigous, hands down. Whats the reasoning?

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
But there are only about 30 D1 head coaching jobs that are worth a hoot. I wouldn't say the head coach at New Mexico St is more prestigious than Ned.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I'd throw Bo Ryan in the mix as well as more prestigious.

The Badgers have more of a national presence than the Brewers do. I have lived in different parts of the country, and have always been able to

find Badger fans -- not so much for the Brewers. NCCA sports > MLB in a lot of markets.

I am not saying Bielema is a better coach, but that the position is more prestigious.

The University of Wisconsin System Board of Regents today (Feb. 9) approved an amended contract with UW-Madison head football coach Bret Bielema that will increase his compensation package to $1.3 million in the deal's first year.

The UW System Board of Regents approved a $250,000 salary increase for men's basketball coach Bo Ryan at a meeting Friday, making his total projected salary for next year $1.25 million.

Ned Yost makes $825,000 at a job he has been at longer than Bielema

So, then the point is that prestige has to do with sucess of the program at any given moment? What about during the Yoder years...was Yoder's job more prestigious than Kuenn's job? What if the Badgers are 5-7 two years from now and the Brewers are WS champs? Does that change things? What makes a coaching job at a D1 college "worth a hoot".

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

Great joint FTJ. I also think the college basketball position at Kentucy is right up there as well. As far as professional sports go, I would say Yankees #1, Lakers #2.

I think Florida is starting to become more prestigous than Notre Dame however in football. Didn't Myer turn down ND?

If you were out at dinner, and Ned Yost was sitting at a table and Brett Beilema was sitting at a different table, which table would generate more buzz. I think it is closer than some people think but I give it to Beilema.

A good point that has been brought up is the level of current success the organization is having. In general I would rank the level of prestige in this order

1) UW Football

2) Packers

3) UW Basketball

4) Brewers

5) Bucks

Does that change with success. I think Bo Ryan is more prestigious right now than McCarthy. Will that change if the Packers win a Super Bowl?

you can also look at it this way, if you did a phone poll of sports fans "Who is the coach of Wisconsin" "Who is the manager of the Brewers". I can almost without hesitation say that you will get people who know Bielema more then Yost.

Two things perplex me:

A good point that has been brought up is the level of current success the organization is having. In general I would rank the level of prestige in this order

1) UW Football

2) Packers

3) UW Basketball

4) Brewers

5) Bucks

Does that change with success. I think Bo Ryan is more prestigious right now than McCarthy. Will that change if the Packers win a Super Bowl?

Really? One of the most, if not the most storied franchises in all of the NFL is less prestigious than a Big-10 school who as of 12 years ago had never won anything important in my lifetime? Badger goggles activated!

The NFL is the most successful sports league in the WORLD. Any NFL job is more prestigous than any college job. There is a reason college FB is broadcast regionally and the NFL nationally.

And UW baseketball is ahead of the Brewers? Yes they've been more successfull recently but they have never been a big draw for attracting top coaching talent. Ryan is here becasue of his previous connections, he's made the program very good. But the Badgers are never going to a sign a Rick Pittino when Ryan leaves, not going to happen.

It is however, fairly likely that the Brewers could get someone of Joe Torre's reputation. That right there speaks to prestige.

you can also look at it this way, if you did a phone poll of sports fans "Who is the coach of Wisconsin" "Who is the manager of the Brewers". I can almost without hesitation say that you will get people who know Bielema more then Yost.
Maybe college FB fans but casual sports fans? No way. The average sports fan from North Carolina has no idea who Brett Bielema is. I guarentee that even casual baseball fans know who Ned Yost is.

You guys are thinking way too loaclly here. Brett Bielima and Bo Ryan are heros and becomming legends on a local and even regional level but if you ask people from say...Tennessee neither of them is known.

I guaruntee you that the most of country knows that Ned Yost is the manager of the Brewers and Mike McCarthy is the coach of the Packers.

Doesn't Camp Randall and Kohl Center sell out EVERY single game. Unfortunately Miller Park does not.

I agree the Packers have a richer history than UW but I think Bielema's job is more valuable than McCarthy's. Look how many college coaches turn down jobs in the pros to stay coaching in the college ranks.

One more thing, down south I guarantee more people know who Brett Bielema is compared to Ned Yost. Baseball is pretty irrelevant in that part of the country.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I dunno, BCU...many college coaches leave and go coach in the pros too.....not to mention that if the Brewers only played 5 home games or had an 18,000 seat ballpark they'd sellout every game too.

I think we need to come to a consensus on what 'prestigious' means. To me its:

1) tradition

2) pay scale

3) success

4) expectations

5) responsibilities

Not necessarily in that order.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Doesn't Camp Randall and Kohl Center sell out EVERY single game. Unfortunately Miller Park does not.

There are 5 home games a year for Badger football, and if there that many home Brewer games I think it's not a stretch at all to say they could sell out a 70-80,000 venue for each game. And the Kohl Center has only 17 home games in a place that holds 18,000. Miller Park averaged 35,000 for 81 home games. Using that comparison actually is in support of Ned Yost being more prestigous.

81 games vs 7 games vs 22 games. Add to that a semi-captive fans base (students and faculty) and you're not even in the same ball park comparing apples to apples.

You are aware that the Packers have a waiting list 50,000 people deep just for the right to own season tickets right?

I agree the Packers have a richer history than UW but I think Bielema's job is more valuable than McCarthy's. Look how many college coaches turn down jobs in the pros to stay coaching in the college ranks.

How can you even to attempt to quantify that Bielema's job > McCarthy's?

Arguably the most storied franchise in the most successful sports league in the world vs the head coaching job at a team that is a consistent 3rd place at best in the Big-ten? And those 3rd places have only come in the last 10 years or so.

Choosing to stay in college has nothing to do with job prestige in most cases. Most of those guys who stay in college like the college game better or have a system that wouldn't work in the NFL.

One more thing, down south I guarantee more people know who Brett Bielema is compared to Ned Yost. Baseball is pretty irrelevant in that part of the country.
Huh? Having lived in TN I can tell you with certainty that they don't pay any attention to teams that don't play in the SEC.

The fact that you say baseball is irrelevant in the South shows how little you know about the region. Just because they don't have a MLB team, don't assume they don't follow baseball. They are probably, on the whole, better baseball fans than most Milwaukeans.

I am getting blasted on this topic....I deserve it! The attendance thing I will admit I was wrong in bringing up. I agree with what everyone said, you can't compare that. As far as people in the south not following baseball, I still think more people in the south would know Bielema compared to Yost.

I agree with homer, we need to come tp a consensous on what presigious means. How would people rank the 5 coaches in the state of Wisconsin. I can't see how you would have McCarthy #1, especially when I think if you walked by him in the mall, you would have no idea that he is Mike McCarthy. I could be wrong since I'm not a Packer fan..but I think Bielema is more recognizable. Who would you be the most star-strucked by if you ran into any one of Bielema, Ryan, McCarhy, Yost or Coach K?

Blazer, your argument about the NFL would have been more accurate years ago, when Lombardi, Halas, Shula and Landry roamed the sidelines.

With the amount of mobility in the coaching ranks these days, nobody stays anywhere long enough to build a legacy. And I think that when you talk about "prestige", a legacy is an important component.

Look at who is coaching some of the most "storied" franchises in the league now. McCarthy, Wade Phillips, Cam Cameron, Mike Tomlin, and Lane Kiffin.

I know that we're talking about the prestige of the job, not the guy....but at the same time, when there's no continuity and guys are changing jobs every 2-3 years, it really detracts from the prominence of the position.

I would definitely consider Alabama, Penn State, or Notre Dame on par with any NFL team.

Archived