Brewer Fanatic

Just an idea from McCovey Chronicles - Hall for Lowry?

An old Tony Gwynn Jr. and a pitcher who struck out as many as he walked? I'll pass on that and hope that Hall rebounds.

The Brewers need pitching more than they need a center fielder who hit like Hall last year.
Yeah it's not like we have Sheets, Gallardo, Villanueva, Suppan, Capuano, Parra, Bush and Vargas. We really need Lowry.http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/eyes.gif

One response after that article mentioned Jonathan Sanchez - depending on other players involved, I could get excited about Sanchez or Lowry. Sanchez didn't have a great year this year, but he still has tremendous upside (and I believe is only 24 or 25). And is left-handed.

That was also at MLBtraderumors.com. I threw up a comment saying that I'd pass on Lowry because his peripherals are awful, and he was even helped at AT&T. I'd much rather go after Hennessey or Correia, much better bets going forward, and they're the same age as Lowry.

Yeah it's not like we have Sheets, Gallardo, Villanueva, Suppan, Capuano, Parra, Bush and Vargas. We really need Lowry.

you always need pitching, period.

Yeah but Lowry isn't good and giving up Hall to get him would be stupid. 87 walks and 87 strikeouts? No chance I take him. Maybe if we traded Gwynn.

I wouldn't mind a Hall for Lowry swap as long as we made a move for a legit centerfielder with some onbase skills (*cough* Lofton). I think it's really the ripple effect that you have to consider when making a deal like this. Hall will cost a bit more than Lowry the next few seasons and it really puts us in a position to trade some excess pitching for a bat or closer.

Plus I think Lowry isn't as bad as many think. Over the past three seasons, he's basically a younger, cheaper, left handed version of Suppan:

Noah Lowry (3 season splits): 4.12 ERA, 1.41 WHIP, 5.9 K/9, 3.8 BB/9, 0.9 HR/9

Jeff Suppan (3 season splits): 4.11 ERA, 1.45 WHIP, 5.1 K/9, 3.0 BB/9, 1.0 HR/9

Servicable at worst. I consider it a classic buying-low scenario (i.e. the opposite of acquiring Suppan). Afterall, he is only 2 years removed from a season in which he K'd 172 and BB'd 76 as a 24 year old.

After reading the article more closely (i.e. actually reading it... guilty!), I actually wouldn't mind a discounted Dave Roberts thrown into the deal. I didn't like the idea of throwing a bunch of money at him last year, but if the price is right he fits the bill as a "professional" hitter and he'd be a great option off the bench if we found someone more attractive for center.

Plus I think Lowry isn't as bad as many think. Over the past three seasons, he's basically a younger, cheaper, left handed version of Suppan

And everyone here loves Suppan. [/blue]

Noah Lowry would not make us a better team.

I threw up a comment saying that I'd pass on Lowry because his peripherals are awful, and he was even helped at AT&T.

Bingo, kgb. Let's pass, please. I don't care if he's young(ish) and cheap, he's not a player that will help make us better. Remember why Doug Davis frustrated Brewers fans? Yea, that's what Lowry does. When you walk nearly 90 guys, it almost - almost - doesn't matter how many you strike out. It's really, really hard to get a favorable BB/K rate with that many free passes.

Can you even imagine what he'd look like if he'd been playing at Great American Ballpark or Chase Field? *shudders*

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Any discussion of Lowry has to start with his health. He was not the same pitcher after coming back from his injury in 2006 and it seemed to carry over into 2007. If there is some reason to think he reverts to his 2005 and earlier numbers he would be a great addition to the team.

Archived