Brewer Fanatic

Next years closer?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I really believe that Vargas would make a nice closer. I voice my opinion on it during the season also.

I agree, he seems to pitch well out of the stretch (with runners on), throws hard, and has some relief experience. He would be my choice if we don't go after someone else this winter.

I know I may get beaten up for this, but what about Greg Aquino? Didn't he close for the D-Backs a couple of years back? He's very inconsistent, but he has pretty good stuff.
If you are going to go with an inconsistent pitcher, why not just stay with Turnbow?

He has a longer track record of success and better stuff. (Though I agree that Aquino could play a large role in the pen next year and many seem to overlook his presence)

I'm down with the idea of a guy like Fuentes, or just going by commitee with a mixture of some in-house guys and maybe some FA's.

The last thing I want to see them do is spend $5 million a year on a reliever, let alone the $10 million or whatever Cordero's going to cost.

If we were the Brewers of the past, i'd 100 percent agree with you. I never understood the point of non-contenders spending quite a bit of cash on a closer, but legit contenders, i think it's worth the money if a team can afford it.

I see almost zero chance Ned does some close by committee, he's going to pick a closer. The difference between a closer that does a very good job and one that struggles quite a bit or just somewhat can be anywhere from 2-8ish games. For a Brewers team that should be in a playoff race next year, that could be the difference between a playoff berth or missing the playoffs.

I'd be fine with acquiring a power arm that had success as a setup man or trading for a guy like C.Cordero, but i wouldn't be comfortable with say Bush going into the year as closer. My guess with Coco is the number of years he wants will scare away Melvin more than the yearly amount unless a team throws 12-15 million a year at him.

I have a good friend who is a die hard Rockies Fan and during the WS I asked about Fuentes and these were his comments, "I hope they trade him for a bag of stale chips and a 6 pack of Schlitz". I asked why and he said his slider has flattened out making it very hittable, his velocity is way down and he's just extremely standoffish. He also pointed out that between June 22nd and July 1st he blew 4 straight saves and also got himself another loss in there as well. Not the guy we're looking for.

Just my 2 cents.

thanks for the info, kattleflap. Good to get that perspective

Let's not forget about Joaquin Benoit of the Rangers, either. Pogokat will flip (at least I think that was his RP-crush)! Benoit's got a solid track record at this point, and won't cost either an arm or a leg.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Is there any reason in general why we are not looking at Claudio Vargas? He really buckles down when runners are on base. He can hold runners on, and as far as getting tough when the tough get going, Vargas didnt really pitch last year till he got into trouble. I just think this guy has clutch closer written all over him.

There is a reason he has the nickname "Magic Man". His best work is done in clutch situations.

After much thought I really don't care who the closer is as long as it's not Cordero. Being a small market team, I think the domino effect could reek havoc on the organization. Melvin keeps coming up with closers, and I think the Bush/Vargas idea is worth a try. I think the money should be put in a bank somewhere, collect interest and try to use it on Fielder or Hart or Braun or Gallardo down the line. Reclamation projects can work here, and I'd target a guy like Lidge. If he can regain the "magic" like Coco did...

Just curious, but did you watch Fuentes in the WS? He was very hittable and gave up key runs in both games 2 and 3 if I'm not mistaken in the 8th innings of both games. Also, if a guy is fine when he comes of the DL then why exactly did he lose his job? I'm fairly certain that a Major League closer who is doing his job well doesn't lose his job when he comes off the DL unless he's not doing his job well.

The reason Fuentes didn't get the job back was that BEFORE he went on the DL, he got lit up about 4 times in a row (on my fantasy team) and when his replacement played well while he was out, he never got the chance to reclaim his spot

Archived