Brewer Fanatic

Next years closer?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Eric Gagne. He was lights out for the Rangers, and he will come fairly cheap. I know he wilted under the pressure in Boston, but his career path DWARVES Coco's, and we forgave Coco a month's indiscretion when we took him. My guess...2 years/$12mil with incentives tied to ERA and saves, with probably a $1mil kicker for Rolaids.

I'd be a big fan of either Dave Bush or taking a chance with Kerry Wood. I'm totally convinced that starting pitchers can be real, real good closers. I know Bush gives up the big inning a lot, but it's often later in the game, after he's been lights out (it's either that or a huge first inning then lights out for 5 more innings...which is why I would be a little afraid of him). Wood? He could come cheap. I don't see anyone paying him a lot of money, considering his track record of injuries.

Sounds like Wood may attract quite a bit of attention and rumor has it he wants to try starting again. I've seen some estimates of 2 year / $12m plus incentives. To me that's crazy, but it could actually be NY (I guess there's history with Girardi that I can't recall at the moment).

Looking like Coco could be more in the 4 or 5 year range with $10-12 mil per. Author thought that was pretty steep, but also thought the Brewers could afford it if they really wanted to keep him.

Any thought about Linebrink? Rumor was that the Braves were looking at him to replace Wickman (who has already been gone), but seemed like they were considering him for the closer role. He'll certainly come cheaper than Coco.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Betcha Wood signs with the Reds to start for Dusty. There was talk of Prior going there, too. Those guys are nuts.

Our closer will be Cordero. 3yrs/33M.

If Cordero signs elsewhere, we'll go with a committee and some cheap gambles (Gagne could be one). Darkhorse? Luis Pena.

WSSP in Green Bay was talking about this yesterday (Wednesday) and their "thought" (do they do this?) was that the Brewers would sign Cordero for $10 mil plus per year for 3 years. I'm not so sure that this would be a good idea with the scale of economics of the Brewers. Would it be wise to blow 1/8th of the payrole on a closer? My thought would be to try to add a couple of set-up type of guys that are looking for their chance to shine. I'll edit this with a list shortly...
@BrewCrewCritic on Twitter "Racing Sausages" - "Huh?"

I just think the closer is one of the most over rated positions in sports (and the save is an over rated stat). Most pitchers in baseball should be able to come in and get 3 outs before giving up three runs...that's just my opinion. With that being said, I'm not sure I want to pay a guy $10-13 million to come in every 3-5 days to pitch one inning. I'd look for some cheaper options before considering resigning Cordero.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I've read that Gagne's stuff is still fantastic but he had control problems. Most scouts chalked it up to fatigue. I'd gamble on him but only a one year deal and incentive laden.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I've seen some estimates of 2 year / $12m plus incentives. To me that's crazy, but it could actually be NY (I guess there's history with Girardi that I can't recall at the moment).

Girardi was a C for ChC from 2000-2002 (Wood's age 23-25 seasons). I'd like to see an effort made at Wood, but not as a SP. If he's interested in that, and teams are interested in paying for that, then we have no shot of getting him to be a RP.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Wood - Closer

Gagne - Closer

Either of them would work for me if the Brewers are unavailable to re-sign Cordero. Personally Id like to see both of them, one as setup one as closer. Also if Linebrink is asking for a large deal I think I'd stay away as many reports surfaced when he was traded to the Crew that basically he was slowing down in his age etc. I would also be weary of Cordero, yes he was great for us, but at the same time I think we could take a Wood or Gagne at the cheap end and make them our closer and they could do most likely an excellent job equal to what Cordero could do. I really believe that the closer position at least this season can be attained on the cheaper end and we can spend that money elsewhere on the diamond.

I'm down with the idea of a guy like Fuentes, or just going by commitee with a mixture of some in-house guys and maybe some FA's.

The last thing I want to see them do is spend $5 million a year on a reliever, let alone the $10 million or whatever Cordero's going to cost.

Archived