Brewer Fanatic

Elias Rankings out

bretsky07

Saw this on MLBTradeRumors. AL here, NL here.

CoCo and Linebrink both Type A's, so we'll get some nice picks if both are taken by the right teams.

I also thought this was interesting. How was Thatcher almost a type B and somehow higher than Shouse?

57 Taylor Buchholz 54.949 B

58 Ryan Madson 54.641

59 Justin Miller 54.055

60 Joe Thatcher 53.191

61 Rudy Seanez 53.130

62 Brian Shouse 52.760

The NL catcher rankings just go to show how weak catcher is in the league.

1 Russell Martin 86.100 A

2 Brian McCann 82.625 A

3 Bengie Molina 77.413 A

4 Ronny Paulino 76.641 A

5 Josh Bard 75.869 A

6 Johnny Estrada 73.745 A

Nice that we'll get pretty much what expected out of Cordero and/or Linebrink.

Graffy as a B, but I'll be shocked to see us offer him arby, barring some team nabbing him up early.

Last I heard was he had to rehab until June, so the chances the Brewers offer him arby of someone signing him right away are next to nil.

It's a complex, computer-generated series of logarithms, matrixes and nexuses that take into account ability, lack of ability, hitting, pitching, fielding, coolness factor, status, and suckiness. After that formula is figured out, the list is created. Each name on the list is written down on a little sheet of paper, perfectly folded in half, placed in a hat, and is drawn at random.

I don't know, but my way sounds cooler, I think.

Here is what I could find:

"In settling the 1981 Major League Baseball strike, players and owners agreed to a system for ranking major league players for the purpose of determining the compensation to be received by a team when it loses a player through free agency.

The settlement to the bargaining impasse included a formula that would be applied to the statistics accumulated by all major league players over the most recent two-year period… the parties agreed that the application of the formula and the consequent production of the rankings would be the responsibility of The Elias Sports Bureau.

The system divides players into five different groupings in each of the two leagues-starting pitchers, relief pitchers, catchers, 1B/DH/OF, and 2B/3B/SS. Players are placed into the position at which the player appeared the most over the last two seasons… and then they are rated against one another based upon a variety of statistics. For offensive players, the categories include batting average, on-base percentage, home runs, runs batted in, and fielding percentage… for pitchers, the statistics include appearances, innings pitched, wins, winning percentage, saves, earned run average, WHIP, strikeouts and strikeout-to-walk ratio.

Players are then 'compared' to one another based upon these statistics using the agreed-upon formula… they are rated within each of the five grouings, as well as overall (by league). The top 20% of the rankings within the respective groupings are designated as "Type A" free agents and the next 40% are designated "Type B" free agents."

Certainly not a complete answer, but it does explain some of the stranger rankings, when you consider the time frame used.

how are the rankings created?

They have been around for along time -- I think since after the 1981 strike. I am pretty sure that they don't take into account all of the advances

in the last 25+ years.

All I can say is that the owners and players had to agree on them so someone knows how they are generated.

Interestingly

24 Troy Tulowitzki 67.033 B

47t Ryan Braun 49.714

(SS's and 3bs are ranked together with 2bs)

The Elias rankings are very old-school, with heavy emphasis on batting average, playing time, and counting stats. I believe they cover two years prior to the ranking...in that two years Braun put up about two thirds of a season, so it's not a surprise that he's behind a lot of players who are certainly not as good.

I'm a bit surprised to see Jenkins not make the cut, but only a bit surprised.

I think Russ was talking about the difference between Tul's and Braun's rankings. I don't think either team will be letting those players go for draft picks. Braun, Weeks, and others are low on the list because they use counting stats for the past two years. The only Brewers we should care about are the vets that might leave the team.

Sucks Jenks missed the cut for Type C.

The poster previously known as Robin19, now @RFCoder

EA Sports...It's in the game...until we arbitrarily decide to shut off the server.

I understand what happened with Graffy last year, but wouldn't it be worthwhile to offer him arbitration? Perhaps we could even get him to do a bit of a handshake "under the table" that he won't accept. I just want to see "Moneyball 2; BEER Ball" on bookshelves next X-Mas.

Depending of how Graffanino likesl Milwaukee he might actually sign a minor league deal with Milwaukee (assuming he wants to try to come back). But he won't be offered arby because even if he was, no one is going to sign him. Last I saw his return was June at the earliest and August is more likely.

Archived