Brewer Fanatic

Is this the off-season the Bill Schroeder finally gets the boot?

2hoophead

I was pining for Cirillo after last season upon hearing him in the booth while he was injured.

Very well spoken, he was.

Also, let's not compare Santo to Schroeder. Santo would NEVER be on anyone's telecast. We are speaking about TELEVISION analists, not radio buffoons http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/eyes.gif

I think the whole Brewer TV crew is very good. Brian Anderson was outstanding and had great rapport with Rock. I thought he was funny, insightful and while rooting for the Brewers was not afraid to point out their shortcomings. The Brewers Live show with Coshun and Davey is great too. Living in SoCal, these guys are my lifeline to Milwaukee baseball. When Extra Innings has the other team's announcers on, it's usually a dark night. Half because they are homers for the other team (I prefer my own homers) and the other half is they flat out aren't as good.

When you see someone every night like you do in Milwaukee...it's natural to get tired of them or notice their shortcomings. Trust me...we've got it very good with these guys right now.

I know that Ron Santo isn't going into the Hall as a broadcaster, but I think many here are a little unfair to him. He's a color guy, not a play-by-play guy, after all. And yeah, he is a homer, but I know that I LOVE when the color guy bleeds with the fans. Take Larry McCarren, on Packers broadcasts, for instance. (i know he's much better than ron) The emotion they display is nice, unlike some gun-for-hire, who you know is insincere. Cub fans love Ronnie. I don't think he's a moron, and he has sort of an everyman working-class appeal. Other ex-players have more insightful things to say, but not all of them endear themselves to their fans the way he has. And while I'm sure that Pat knows he has to be the pro in the booth, I have little doubt that he loves working with Santo.

I know that Ron Santo isn't going into the Hall as a broadcaster, but I think many here are a little unfair to him. He's a color guy, not a play-by-play guy, after all. And yeah, he is a homer, but I know that I LOVE when the color guy bleeds with the fans. Take Larry McCarren, on Packers broadcasts, for instance. (i know he's much better than ron) The emotion they display is nice, unlike some gun-for-hire, who you know is insincere.

I agree about enjoying the emotion that somebody close to the organization will show, my issue with Santo is his complete bias and inablility to see that the world isn't against the Cubs. I was listening to a game in late September, I believe, when the Cubs were playing the Marlins and somebody got doubled off first. Santo was screaming about how horrible of a call that was, that the umps were trying to cheat the Cubs out of the playoffs, etc. Then Pat calmly says, if you watch the replay he was clearly out. Santo does this kind of thing all the time.

To answer the original post, Schroeder was nominated for the Frick Award, so I doubt he's going anywhere soon.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

the problem i have with Ron Santo is that he is only about 60% there(not a reference to his legs). The times i have listened and he goes into stories or statements you can feel the frustration in Pat Hughes voice when he answers him or has to talk over him.

I have always been back and forth on bill until the Atlanta game where he got really upset with some of the umps calls. Sure he can get old with the "go the opposite way" and other things that he says all the time but I like him now.

Archived