Brewer Fanatic

Is this the off-season the Bill Schroeder finally gets the boot?

2hoophead

I had the feeling Mark Attanasio would have replaced both he and Sutton after last season but did not.

It is no secret to me Bill does not add much to the telecast. And it is a fact there are others much worse out there doing color for other teams. I am of the belief that it is definitely time for a change here.

I don't know who is available at this time, though, but would you like to see in his place?

Ned Yost, hopefully we would get some insight on what it means when he says things like "We still have math on our side," when there's three games to play and we're back 2.5.

Otherwise, I don't think Bill is that terrible, it could be worse, he doesn't do anything that makes me dislike him, sometimes I think his repetitiveness and other habits are actually kind of funny.

I kinda like him, because he criticizes the home team when it does something stupid. His end of the year observations that the team needs major changes, and that there are no laurels to rest on, I thought was awesome.

I always thought Darrin and Bill were horrible. Then I got ExtraInnings and my perspective changed. Some teams are unwatchable because of the broadcasters. Bill at least chats it up a bit and comes across as decent fellow. Brewers broadcasts are one of the better productions.

I love the Rock. Sure, he makes his mistakes, but as mentioned - he's better than many other (bigger) markets. Part of this, to be sure, has to do with the fact that he's been our color announcer basically since I can remember religiously following the team on TV. He's the Jenks of the broadcast booth. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

All in all, our broadcast is really quite good. Our cameramen/truck guys are really, really good on replays/camera angles, and I've mentioned how much BA has grown on me as well. I'm really looking forward to enjoying them in 2008.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I have two of the most horrible words in broadcasting: Ron Santo.

Ron Santo and his arsenal of moans makes the Rock look like Mel Allen. I'm still bitter about his shabby treatement of Prince a few seasons ago, but he did lend credibility to the Piggly Wiggly grilling segment. Keep him, for lack of anyone substantially better.

I like Bill S., too. This summer, I had XM radio on my motorcycle to listen to baseball games. XM uses the home team announcers for their game feed. When the Brewers were on the road, we'd hear the other teams announcers. I know this is radio and this thread deals with TV, but our announcers - radio and TV - make other teams' guys sound like first year radio school interns! I think we have it pretty good!

I would agree that Santo is terrible. Pat Hughes has to feel like he is babysitting during most of the games.

The Brewers should write in Bill S.'s contract that he isnt allowed to do commercials. Nothing is worse than his horrible sense of humor during the Good Feet Store commercials.

"maybe I could have hit .250, or not"

Wow.

I love Davey, but as a human being and a first base coach. He's got no business being in the booth. Dang, I hate dumping on guys I love.

That's exactly how I feel. I've met him and he's a super nice guy. The good thing is that if he does stop Brewers Live he'll still have a job for the Brewers.

While we're at it, could we also please dump Davey and the other guy who struggle mightily to add value during and after the broadcast? Wow! I'll bet someone on this board could handle the job as well...

I liked the coach insite that Davey tried to add, his problem was that he would stumble over words and looked as if he was lost most of the time. I think the speed of being a broadcaster would take time to adjust to and that for his first year in the booth he did alright. I would like to see what he can do when he gets more comfortable, if he isn't getting any better then I'd say it would be time to move on.

On a side note, I was listening to the end of the Bears game on Sunday after I was done golfing to see how much they were losing by and noticed how we are just spoiled in Wisconsin with our play-by-play guys. While Bill is alright, I think he improved with Anderson along side and with Bob and Jim, Lepay and Lucas we are really spoiled. If only McGee and Irwin were still doing the Packers, but Larrivee and McCarren work well together and I think Larrivee has a smooth voice.

I would agree that Santo is terrible. Pat Hughes has to feel like he is babysitting during most of the games.

The Brewers should write in Bill S.'s contract that he isnt allowed to do commercials. Nothing is worse than his horrible sense of humor during the Good Feet Store commercials.

In Bill's defense, I would venture a guess that he did not write this line but a script-writer thought it would be funny and Bill just read the line. Now, maybe he ad-libbed it, but I doubt it. Wow.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

Sign me up on the "Keep Rock" team. I think he really improved as the year went on. I really enjoyed him during our playoff chase giving an honest and open view at times instead of always sugar coating the facts.

The last month of the season I thought he was fantastic.

I liked Rock before, but I thought he was even better this year with BA. I think a lot of that was I felt they got along better that DS and Rock did. It just seemed like they were put in the booth together and acted like they got along, but really didn't.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Wow.

In 1987, he hit well over .250. IIRC, it was .332. Great year, even if he didn't get as many ABs as I'd have liked.

I'd like to know of this mythical color man who the Brewers could get, who would be better than Schroeder. Until then, I like him, and think he should stay on the broadcasts. I personally felt he got a little more serious, and better this year. Maybe he took the departure of Sutton as a sign that he needed to inject less humor, and more insight.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

I have two of the most horrible words in broadcasting: Ron Santo.

Ron Santo and his arsenal of moans makes the Rock look like Mel Allen. I'm still bitter about his shabby treatement of Prince a few seasons ago, but he did lend credibility to the Piggly Wiggly grilling segment. Keep him, for lack of anyone substantially better.

Agree completely - listen to Santo for just a few minutes and you'll be craving the ROCK! Santo is a big homer, but a moron to boot (which makes it worse!).

One thing I do enjoy is when they have guests join them in the booth - and not just to plug something or talk about "where have you been", but when they actually comment on the game and the Brewers. I think it would be great to have more frequent visits from DM, Yount (when in Arizona), Molitor (if they can convince him to do it), etc. And not just for a partial inning, but for several. Kind of mix up the broadcast a little bit.

But who am I? Certainly not a TV producer!!

Archived