Brewer Fanatic

New Rumors Thread

Per Jayson Stark...

Johan Santana - Has rejected MN's best offer, and is now at least tentatively in play. The Twins want 4 top prospects, at least 2 of whom will be MLB ready for Opening Day. Mets are expected to be very aggressive, but Red Sox, Yankees and Dodgers all have better young players to offer - if they will.

Miguel Cabrera - FL wants 4 players with no more than three years of MLB service time, right now, no one will do it because teams fear his poor training habits will shorten his career ala Kevin Mitchell. Marlins will not allow a time window for teams to attempt to negotiate a new deal with Cabrera. Many believe the Jon Garland deal was done to set up a Cabrera deal for the Angels - more young pitching can now be given. Giants have pitchers the Marlins like, White Sox have hitters - neither team has both.

Dontrelle Willis - Mets, Diamondbacks and Mariners all checking it out. Marlins want two young players who "blow them away."

Miguel Tejada - Owed 26 million over two years, O's want someone to eat that contract, and provide two "quality" players.

Erik Bedard - Is available for a "boatload of players." O's want power bats and power arms...if it happens, it'll probably have to wait for Johan to land somewhere.

Scott Rolen - Cardinals will not pick up any of remaining money on contract, and want a top prospect - asked the Yankees for Chamberlain, Hughes or Kennedy while A-Rod was away.

Matt Garza- Could be had for the "right young centerfielder" if the Twins keep Johan.

Ian Snell - Pittsburgh having "Monstrous internal debate" on whether or not to offer him for young bats.

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd love to pick up Garza, could the Twins be interested in a Gwynn package?

If you were a Twins fan, would you say "I'd love to pick up Gwynn, would the Brewers be interested in a Garza package"? I'm going to guess not. Garza's probably a high-end #2 starter for a long time. Gwynn's a 5th OF in all likelihood.

Gwynn is a throw-in caliber player at this point. I don't see why it would make sense for the Twins to trade one young pre-arby guy for two more (on that hasn't even played at AA yet). It's not like Gamel is ready to be plugged into a big league 3B job, didn't he also have like 50 errors?

To tail off of Al's point, TGJ has a high trade value to the teams that value defense and speed in CF. Add in his age, relative amount of success so far as a pro, as well as his last name, and you have a CF tailor made to be overvalued by a number of teams. The Padres are the first team that comes to mind, but the Twins aren't that far behind. The Twins don't really have a CF right now... I'd love to pawn Gwynn off on them for a reliever.

The LA Times yesterday had discussions of the Angels' efforts to land Cabrera or Tejada...they're talking a pitcher plus Wood for Tejada, which is their plan B right now. More for their top priority of Cabrera, of course: Kendrick, a catcher (Napoli or Mathis), plus prospects Adenhart and Wood, with speculation that Santana or Saunders could be substituted for Kendrick, whom the Angels would like to keep. The Dodgers could trump that, as we've all read, but the rumored package associated with the Dodgers seems too steep a price.

Scott Rolen - Cardinals will not pick up any of remaining money on contract, and want a top prospect - asked the Yankees for Chamberlain, Hughes or Kennedy while A-Rod was away.

Wow. That is just rediculous.

I completely agree with fondybrewfan. The only way the Cardinals even sniff a prospect is if they eat most of the contract. Not only is Rolen a huge health risk, he has a huge contract, and the Cardinals have very little leverage as most teams believe he will be dealt.

Otsuka is also 37 years old

If the player is signed to a favorable 1.5 year contract, as he was at the deadline, I don't care how old he is really. Especially relief pitchers.

The point is Otuska has a much lower vale at 37 than 27. To pretend the Rangers make the same trade if thats the case is wrong.

Jose Guillen - Has offers from KC and Baltimore.

Matt Clement - Drawing interest from 6-8 teams.

Hiroki Kuroda - Has offers from Seattle and Philly - Cubs also believed to be interested.

Jason Bay - Indians confirm interest. Didn't Pitt's new GM come over from Cleveland?

Marlins/Angels deal has hit a snag.

The Angels' talks with the Marlins about a trade for third baseman Miguel Cabrera appear to have hit a snag, The Los Angeles Times reports.

If the Angels are going to send two young pitchers to Florida, they are unlikely to include both second baseman Howie Kendrick and catcher Jeff Mathis, the newspaper reports.

If Kendrick has to be included in any package, the Angels reportedly would be reluctant to give up prospects Nick Adenhart or Brandon Wood.

Seems a tad odd to me that, with Uggla already in place at 2B, Kendrick's inclusion would be mandatory. Guess the Fish'd plan on shifting either Kendrick or Uggla (the latter is my guess) to 3B should they ship Cabrera. Then again, if the Marlins are insisting either Kendrick or Mathis, I don't know why the Angels wouldn't just ship Mathis and call it a deal.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Have read the Cubs may research trading Prior. He becomes a FA after 08, so the scenario the Cubs fear is that he rebuilds and has a good 08, then walks.

The Orioles are waiting on any trade of Eric Bedard (Dodgers linked) until Miguel Tejada is figured out.

Yabuta to the Royals.

Jose Valverde wants huge dollars in Arizona (4 years/$50-$60). He has two arbitration years left. It's curious if Arizona might look to trade him right now when his value is highest.

I didn't see this article from Adam McCalvy posted anywhere, but I have a feeling it was shared somewhere that I missed. Anyway, McCalvy has some interesting notes that I don't recall hearing before:

http://milwaukee.brewers.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20071126&content_id=2309217&vkey=news_mil&fext=.jsp&c_id=mil

Filling that hole could be complicated. Rookie of the Year third baseman Ryan Braun told Melvin earlier this month that he would be willing to move to left field if the Brewers are able to add a quality third baseman. Melvin confirmed that there have been some internal discussions about the Cardinals' Scott Rolen, but he carries a high price tag and health concerns. Others have speculated that the Brewers could improve their defense by moving Braun to left, Bill Hall from center field to third, and focusing on a top-flight center-field option like free agents Aaron Rowand or Andruw Jones. Melvin said he talked recently with Jones' agent, Scott Boras, but did not get the sense that a deal could be reached.

Melvin's first choice, by the way, is to leave Braun and Hall where they are.

Some big names listed there that the Brewers have considered. Interesting that they may consider moving Hall to third bumping Braun to LF with Andruw Jones as a possible solution to CF, while also confirming that they have pondered the possiblity of pursuing Scott Rolen.

I know I'm not alone in feeling that some kind of series of moves along these lines would be the best way to improve the team moving forward, keeping both offense and defense in mind.

Indians want a hitter, are looking at both Bay and Tejada -Tribe also wants one more bullpen arm.

Padres want a shot at both Clement and Prior.

No arby for Colon, AZ will offer to Livan, expecting him to leave.

Yankees no longer interested in Loretta, but Colorado is.

Archived