Brewer Fanatic

New Rumors Thread

Jason Schmidt: 3/47M
Wasn't Schmidt party because of an injury concern?

I know he got hurt very quickly this year. I always thought the Giants had figured something out that others hadn't?

And Schmidt and Millwood are no where near the level of Bedard in my opinion, but you are correct. It can happen. My point wasn't really that it never happens - just that it is unlikely that we would trade for a player of Bedard's stature only to lose him for nothing.

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Jason Schmidt: 3/47M
Wasn't Schmidt party because of an injury concern?

I know he got hurt very quickly this year. I always thought the Giants had figured something out that others hadn't?

And Schmidt and Millwood are no where near the level of Bedard in my opinion, but you are correct. It can happen. My point wasn't really that it never happens - just that it is unlikely that we would trade for a player of Bedard's stature only to lose him for nothing.

Millwood was coming off a 2.86 ERA season, and Schmidt had been an extremely durable pitcher up to that point.

I was just responding to you saying that "A+ pitchers never walk". Bartolo Colon, Andy Pettitte, and Pedro Martinez also come to mind.

From October 31 Jim Callis Chat...

Ben (Centerville, OH): Would a package of Josh Hamilton, Edwin Encarnacion, and Johnny Cueto be enough to trade for Eric Bedard?

http://assets.espn.go.com/i/sn2.gif Jim Callis: I would think so. I like Bedard, but I'd do that if I were the Orioles.

Is it possible that Manny Parra could develope into Eric Bedard?

I was looking at Bedards numbers and he had a steady improvement in numbers his first 3 years in the bigs before his quantom leap last season.

His first year as a starter he had a whip of 1.60 a 4.49 era and 121 k's in 137 innings.. Followed it up with a 4.00 era a 1.38 whip and 125 ks in 141 innings.

2006 3.36 era 1.35 whip and 171 ks in 196 innings.

Last year he exploded. 3.16 era 1.09 Whip and 221 K's in 182 innings.

I guess for every young lefty who developes like Bedard there are 50 who never do but I thought it was interesting how he went from mediocre as a rookie to very good in year 3 and lights out dominant in year 4.

How did Bedard's numbers compare to Manny's in the minors?

Is it possible that Manny Parra could develope into Eric Bedard?

Yeah, it is possible. I think Bedard is like a lefty Sheets, he has a very good curve to complement his good fastball. Parra has a better fastball than Bedard, but he needs to improve his secondary pitch to reach Bedard's level, as well as continue to stay healthy.

Last season, Cappy's fastball is in the mid to upper 80s and that is worrying me. I've more confidence with Parra in the rotation than Cappy for 2008. Parra is a potential stud, I really hope the Brewers don't trade him, Yo or CV this offseason. They are keepers.

Joe Sheehan has an article at Baseball Prospectus behind the pay curtain for bargain free agents that could help a team. One name jumped out to me as a good target to upgrade the team's depth, Jeff DaVanon. DaVanon is a switch hitter that can play all three outfield positions and has a lifetime OBP around .350. That's pretty much an ideal 5th outfielder. He had some injuries that derailed 2007, but if healthy I think he'd be a good target to look at for around $1 to $2 million.

Robert

Would taking a chance on Chad Tracy be worth moving Bruan to LF?

Apparently the D-Backs are looking to move him for pitching, but he is coming off of knee surgery. So, on the bright side, his value is diminished. However, he'd obviously be a risk both health-wise and in a possible reduction of production.

Thoughts? I liked him before the injury, but now, I don't know.

Would taking a chance on Chad Tracy be worth moving Bruan to LF?

I think the only way Braun is moved to LF is if the Brewers acquire a "proven" MLB 3B. I don't think they'll be looking to "take a chance" on someone by having Braun shift positions. I'd guess that it'd be more of a Rolen/Glaus type target.

I'm not saying that's how or who it should be, but I have a feeling that DM wouldn't tamper with Braun to roll the dice on a 3B coming off injury or who was once a top/"can't miss" prospect. More likely is DM bringing in someone who needs to get moved for contract reasons.

Yeah, microfracture surgery is always dicey.

Last season, Cappy's fastball is in the mid to upper 80s and that is worrying me.

That's where it's always been since he's joined our squad, though. What in particular are you worried about?

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

That's where it's always been since he's joined our squad, though. What in particular are you worried about?
Currently, Cappy's fastball is the slowest in the Brewers rotation and might not be good enough as opponents become more familiar with him. His stuff isn't that good and his control has slipped. I'm afraid he could continue to decline just as he's getting more expensive. He might be too costly for the Brewers middle relief. I think this offseason is a good time to trade Cappy while he has decent SP value with a favourable contract status.

I don't buy endaround's argument that Capuano stuff is good based on his strikeout rate. The guy allowed 170 hits in 150 innings (.286 BA), had a very mediocre 1.49 WHIP, allowed 20 HR in 150 innings. That tells me more about his stuff than his strikeout rate. Capuano gets strikeouts because he has a plus changeup and that is a put away pitch. But other than that, the rest of his stuff isn't so hot. While it's plausible that Capuano is better than his W-L record since July 2006, it's also indisputable that he's been a well below average starting pitcher for the past year and a half.

By the way, how can you guys be objective when you insist on referring to him by such a warm and fuzzy term like Cappy?

Cappy's stuff is fine. The guy struck out 7.92 per 9 innings last year. Thats good stuff. He was killed by a high BABIP (.340) and a relatedly poor strand rate (68.1%)

Cappy was pulled from the rotation when his struggles became intollerable at the point of the season when he historically struggles. What would his stats look like if he would have continued to start in the 2nd half?

He is tollerable, but nothing more, and I'd like to give his starts to someone with more upside.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

More Rumors tons of them

David Eckstein: Mets are targeting him, wants 4 yr 36 mil.

Luis Castilo: Mets havent made a offer to him, but he wants to stay in NY. Other teams after him: Indians, Dodgers. Seeking 4 yr 32 mil or 8 mil per year.

Geoff Blum: Astros have signed him to a contract.1 yr 900 K deal.

Tony Clark: Twins contacted him, Twins are among 7 teams intrested in Clark most of them in the AL.

Tom Glavine: Braves have made a offer, a deal could get done as soon as today. 1 yr 8-10 mil per.

Kris Benson: He will work out with teams during the winter meetings.

Mike Lowell: Seeking 4 yr 60 mil total. Several teams after him, wants to return with the Red Sox.

Cesar Izturis: Cardinals are after him.

Bartolo Colon: Diamondbacks, Nationals, Phillies, Padres, Mariners intrested in him.

Matt Clement: Diamondbacks, Padres, Royals among 6 teams after him.

Mark Sweeney: Diamondbacks intrested

Yorvit Torrealba: Mets deal fell through, Rockies, Brewers, Rays, Marlins have re-entered into the sweepstakes.

Aaron Rowand: Nationals, Rangers, Padres, Dodgers, White Sox and Cardinals are among 10 teams that have expressed interest.

Tori Hunter: Twins, Braves, Dodgers, Royals, White Sox, Rangers and Reds have expressed interest. Astros are out of the running. Seeking 7 yr 120 mil.

Jon Lieber: Astros, Phillies intrested in him. The Padres, Brewers, Rangers and Pirates expressed interest in him the trading deadline.

Jose Molina: Yankees set to sign him at 2 yr 4 mil.

Pedro Feliz: Wants a 3 yr contract, Brewers intrested.

Kaz Matsui: Rockies offered 2 yr 6 mil, cubs have offered a 3 yr deal worth 15 mil.

Kazuo Fukumori: Wants to play in the majors, Rockies, Red Sox, Padres, Rays and Royals interested in the Japanese free agent closer.

Thoughts?

http://mlb4u.com/rumor.php?order=date&spec=DESC

Lieber?

are you kidding me?

washed out bum, no thanks...

If we pick this guy up in hopes that he completes our rotation, I'm gonna be angry, VERY ANGRY!

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Archived