Brewer Fanatic

New Rumors Thread

I think Baltimore would want Villanueva, and then a reason to make the deal in the first place - which is to add more young players who are ready for the majors now, or at least very soon. My guess is, the best offer the Brewers could make is Villanueva, Gwynn and Gamels - I'm not sure if the Brewers would do it, and even if they would, I have no idea if the O's brass likes those players enough to accept the offer.

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hart's not going anywhere.

Bedard probably is not either, and certainly not for an A ball bat and some throw-ins.

Sheets for Buck and another player? Only if that other player is a time machined George Brett, circa 1980. That's such a silly rumor, I'm surprised I didn't start it.http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

Honestly I think there's a lot of attention (by GMs and agents, as well as the media) being lavished on the top couple of names right now...once the big chips start to fall, things will pick up. The big-market GMs have to start with 3b and the ARod / Cabrera situations will dictate allocation of resources by the teams in on those two players.

Sheets for Buck and another player? Only if that other player is a time machined George Brett, circa 1980. That's such a silly rumor, I'm surprised I didn't start it.http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

Funny thing is some KC fans on another board actually believe it. They think it would be DeJesus or Gathright and some of them wouldn't even do that!

They believe that we're actually going to non-tender Estrada and that Sheets is only worth Buck and either DeJesus or Gathright. It's laughable.

Aside from the notion that Sheets doesn't likely lineup well in trade for young, building teams, John Buck only has power going for him, and we have plenty of that. We need more things than what he has to offer. If he were the '08 Brewers' starting C, we'd all start realizing Estrada's injury-affected offensive production looked a lot better by comparison.

Keep Estrada and keep your ace. There. The '08 Brewers are already better off.

Yeah, that trade doesn't make much sense from the Brewers perspective.

Although, if KC and the Brewers are talking, I'd enquire about Teahen. Good OBP, lefthanded hitter, and you have some position flexibility with him.

Robert

Bedard?

The Orioles are nuts to deal him now. If they want to compete, they need to sign him to an extension, finally open their wallets.

But, if I'm the Brewers I'd offer Parra, Gwynn, and Hall for him. That guy would make Sheets very expendable.

Bedard?

The Orioles are nuts to deal him now. If they want to compete, they need to sign him to an extension, finally open their wallets.

But, if I'm the Brewers I'd offer Parra, Gwynn, and Hall for him. That guy would make Sheets very expendable.

Sheets expendable? I'm very skeptical about that. However, while I'd hate losing Parra, I'd dig this starting rotation:

1. Sheets

2. Bedard

3. Suppan

4. Gallardo

5. Villanueva

And they'd still have Bush, Vargas, & Capuano ALL available for bullpen duty or as trading chips. Without thinking out the full bullpen lineup, I'd take that rotation in a heartbeat.

The other variation would leave Capuano the #5 starter and Villanueva available out of the bullpen, which we know he would do. Vargas & Bush still trade bait, plus the bullpen would be stronger with Villanueva back there again. (Then again, CV seems to have put a great hold on a rotations position for next year, so who knows? I'm just thinking out loud at the idea of adding Bedard.)

I think sometimes we try so hard to not sound like homers, that in response to a trade proposal favoring us we under-value some of our own players. Sbrylski06 suggested Gallardo and Hart for Bedard. Think about that from an orioles perspective, gaining a number one prospect pitcher that's already had some success and a potential .900 ops player in Hart. We talk about Crawford's value being as high as it is, then there is no reason Hart's shouldn't be close. I think we still under-value Hart and other players on our team trying to avoid sounding like those Royals fans, who only over-value their players because they don't remember what good players are like.

I think sometimes we try so hard to not sound like homers, that in response to a trade proposal favoring us we under-value some of our own players. Sbrylski06 suggested Gallardo and Hart for Bedard. Think about that from an orioles perspective, gaining a number one prospect pitcher that's already had some success and a potential .900 ops player in Hart. We talk about Crawford's value being as high as it is, then there is no reason Hart's shouldn't be close.

Erik Bedard posted a 3.16 ERA in the American League, East Divison, playing half his games at the 6th best hitters park. He's 28 years old, and has two years of arbitration left. His trade value is right up there with Cabrera and even Santana, IMO.

In my opinion Hart is one of the guys who should not be traded.(along with our infield, Sheets, Gallardo, Villanueva) Compare him to the 2 big free agent OFers of last year.(Lee, Soriano) He compares pretty well, especially when you consider defense.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

I agree it should be higher, yet he doesn't seem to get the same respect from some on this board. Some say Crawford could net sheets, though it would take Hart plus Gallardo to acquire Bedard. I understand Bedard has a lot more value at the moment than sheets, but I don't know that's it's Gallardo higher.

You realize of course, none of us knows what the Orioles' braintrust thinks of any of the players under the Brewers' control. When you see different scenarios presented here, don't be so quick to say what's a good idea, and what's ridiculous. A salesman works on subjective information, if a guy loves Bill Hall, then focus around that, if he loves Manny Parra, then go there - you'd be shocked at the "logic" behind what people do or don't do.

To get Bedard, the Orioles are going to want a pitcher they can use right now, they've already said they're looking for their next centerfielder, and then they want as many young players as they can get. Just going by the quotes from Andy MacPhail, and also by what Doug Melvin has said in the past, I would think the best offer the Brewers could make is Villanueva or Parra for their rotation, Gwynn or Hall for their CF spot, and then it's time to decide how many minor leaguers, and which ones. Perhaps they love Gamels, perhaps they hate Gwynn....but none of us knows that.

Erik Bedard posted a 3.16 ERA in the American League, East Divison, playing half his games at the 6th best hitters park. He's 28 years old, and has two years of arbitration left. His trade value is right up there with Cabrera and even Santana, IMO.
I agree 100%.

However, as you mentioned, he has two years of arbitration left. Why are they trading him?

The fact that his name is out there as "available" and we haven't seen/heard much talk about him makes me wonder. I think he is one of the top 5 pitchers in the entire MLB. But no one seems to have any interest - wasn't he shut down at the end of the year with an injury?

And I think the price would be huge - Yovanni and Hart sounds about right. Obviously, we wouldn't do something that dumb - but I think those are the kind of players Baltimore would be looking for.

Of course, we'd have to see who was traded from the minors, but I wouldn't believe you'd have to gut the system.

Also, say Capuano and Hall were a part of the deal - that's a good chunk of change off the books. Why would Bedard have to walk? He could get a solid contract here...especially if Sheets ends up elsewhere.

A+ pitchers never "walk".

They are always signed to a contract extension or traded before hand to restock the system. The best pitcher in recent years to hit the free agent market has been Barry Zito.

The only time a good pitcher hits free agency is when he is an injury risk. (See: Sheets, Ben)

A+ pitchers never "walk".

They are always signed to a contract extension or traded before hand to restock the system. The best pitcher in recent years to hit the free agent market has been Barry Zito.

The only time a good pitcher hits free agency is when he is an injury risk. (See: Sheets, Ben)

Jason Schmidt: 3/47M

Kevin Millwood: 5/60M

I think you're right that it's rarer, but it happens.

Archived