Brewer Fanatic

New Rumors Thread

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

According to Rotoworld the Marlins turned down a trade over the summer with the Dodgers that sent Cabrera in exchange for Billingsley, Loney, and Kemp. If that is true the Marlins are extremely foolish.

Umm wow yeah I have a hard time thinking that the Marlins could pass that up. They get an MLB ready pitcher who was pretty successful and a stud OF prospect as well as a 1B/OF prospect in Loney. If that's true the Marlins are dumb.

No substance, and no details, but ESPN's Rumor Central says the Brewers are expressing interest in free agent pitcher Ron Mahay.

Mahay

Cubs, Mariners and Phillies all pursuing Hiroki Kuroda.

Good to know we're cornering the market on old LOOGY's from Illinois. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

Luke Scott resides in my one-time hometown of DeLand, FL (same hometown as Terence Trent D'Arby, incidentally, for those of who lived through mid-'80s pop). Not that that's a reason to trade for Luke Scott, but I did find it interesting.

That's just a little more exciting than the fact that I have the same birthday as Bud Selig, which has never excited me as much as if I shared it with a player I liked. Five days earlier & I would've shared my birthday with Walter Payton. Oh well.

Sorry for the digression. The Brewers' transaction quest has gone quiet for the night once again and the mind wanders....

By the way, I'd still love to see the Brewers come away with both Cordero & Linebrink back in the fold.

I would prefer Gagne/Linebrink to Cordero only, and the money that would probably be involved would dictate that you would have to choose the bonafide closer or two slight reclamation projects that were supposed to be ours last year anyway. Though, I'm quite sure Boston rues the day they got involved Bill Belichick-style.

Orioles are waving Miguel Tejada around, teams are interested in him as a 3B now. As of now, teams are focusing trade efforts on Miguel Cabrera, but once he's gone, Tejada will probably move, quite possibly to the Yankees.

Um, A-Rod....Lowell is a free agent, Cabrera is available, Tejada is available, the White Sox want to be rid of Crede, and Melvin Mora says he wants to leave Baltimore too.

"Brian Fuentes...what would it take for him?"

Josh Fogg and Jorge Julio are FA. They'd want a back of rotation type starter (Capuano or Vargas) to replace Fogg and a bullpen arm to make up for loss of both Fuentes and Julio (Turnbow). I'd be very interested in a deal like that if I'm Doug Melvin.

Even if you re-sign Cordero, Fuentes gives you prime setup man.

"Brian Fuentes...what would it take for him?"
I think the Lidge deal should be pretty comparable.

Meanwhile, SI.com has listed their projected salaries for some of the top free agents. They have Cordero receiving a 4 year 44 million dollar offer. They also have Gagne receiving a 1 year 6 million dollar offer. If those numbers are true - sign me up for Gagne.

This story linked below is more about how the Marlins want to free up money to sign Yorvit Torrealba to solidify their team defense. So basically, they would trade Miguel Cabrera to sign Torrealba:

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/baseball/marlins/sfl-flspmarlins09nbnov09,0,4213182.story

I bring this up, because in this story the Brewers are mentioned to possibly have interest in Torrealba should they decide to move on from Estrada. But the part about Cabrera vs. Torrealba is fairly amusing.

EDIT: And the more I think about it, the more I like the idea about Brian Fuentes, who has quietly had a very nice career. The Ks have gone down the past couple of years, but so has his WHIP, and he's pretty equal in regards to getting RH batters out as he is LH batters. The Rockies, as JohnBriggs noted, have quite a few decisions to make with quite a few free agents and a few heavy arbitration cases, while they want to keep their payroll in the $70M range, and Fuentes is sure to enjoy a solid increase via arbitration from his $3.5M salary from this past year.

I agree that Briggs' proposal may be one of the more realistic overall trade possibilities I've seen floated out there, and one of the most appealing.

"What also makes Torrealba an attractive option is his rapport with pitchers.

Regarded as an exceptional game caller, Torrealba was credited for furthering the development of young Rockies starters Ubaldo Jimenez and Franklin Morales, and closer Manny Corpas."

That's from the article cj linked. Honestly, is the 'he calls a great game' required jargon when a C is a free agent? We heard the same about Estrada, all year about Posada, every freakin' game (seemingly) about Varitek. Can't we remember that the pitcher is the one who ultimately signs off on a pitch? How much of a game does a C really 'call'? I know he has influence, but it seems a fairly empty compliment to me.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Archived