Brewer Fanatic

New Rumors Thread

Through ESPN Insider, I have access to local papers throughout the country. I'll mention the interesting bits, but I'm not going to post all of the links, because you usually get one paragraph on the good stuff , and two paragraphs on Brad Ausmus.

Astros - Confirmed they have contacted the agents for Torii Hunter and Aaron Rowand, Pence will play RF if they are successful. No interest in A-Rod.

Blue Jays- Expect a quiet winter, mostly just hoping for better health next year. Looking at bench players and 5th starter types.

Mets- "Will bid" on both LoDuca and Posada, have not ruled out a pursuit of A-Rod.

Phillies- Organizational meetings yesterday, yes to Schilling if a one-year can be worked out, also will talk to Lowell. As of now, Myers will close next year.

Tigers- Re-signing Todd Jones and Kenny Rogers is top priority - will not pursue Geoff Jenkins. Jones says he'd like to pitch closer to home (Alabama), so if the Braves call, he'll listen.

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply
ESPN Radio has said numerous times the Mets are planning on going after A-Rod -- despite the lack of need for a SS or 3B. Their reasoning is with the new stadium they should have additional revenue and Mets GM is in a win now -- or lose his job mode.

As long as the Cubs don't get A-Rod, I'll be satisfied. However. If I were Mark A, and I'm not...why not make a push for A-Rod... The Rangers are still paying close to 14 mil of his contract, we just lost Jenkins salary and most likely will lose Mench's salary. With the amount of revenue that A-Rod will bring in while chasing Bond's record...why the heck not. Marky A...dish out 310 million, 320 million I don't care.... We can move Braun to LF and have A-Rod play 3B. Imagine a line up of Weeks, Hart, Braun, A-Rod, Fielder, Hall... Unstoppable.

This won't happen unfortunately which saddens me.

Matt Mantei is attempting a comeback with Detroit. The club will have him throw a bullpen session in January, if they like what they see, they will sign him.

White Sox want a new leadoff hitter, they may try to go that route at SS, if they buy out Uribe's last year, or they may look at 2Bs, including Luis Castillo.

If Andy Pettitte plays next year, it will only be for the Yankees.

Luke Scott would make an excellent target.

I completely agree. Wouldn't need to be platooned, good OBP, good power. I'd take Scott over Hunter and Rowand. Glad to see the Astros are going to try to spend on another big contract that isn't worth it though.

I'm not opposed to adding Scott either, but one thing to make note of, he's not a good baserunner. He's the type that will assume he's out, and jog, with his head down. I've actually seen it several times, and that's just in watching Astros-Brewers games.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Pro Sports Daily has a free rumors section as well.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Other than hitting lefties very well albeit in a small sample, Scott's 07 numbers are pretty close to what I'd expect from Gross in a comparable number of AB's.

Not that having both competing is a bad thing just I don't think I'd hand a guy like Scott a job over Gross. He'd have to earn it. It would come down to what they'd have to give up to get him.

Am I way off to think that all it'd take to get Scott from the SP-starved 'Stros would be Vargas? I don't see why much else would be required. I do like that Scott can handle both LHP & RHP. If nothing else, it would make for a higher level of competition, which is rarely - if ever - a bad thing. This, so far, has the appearance of the best way to fill the LF void for 2008. Not only does the team have a player we desire, the 'Stros have a need where we have depth (SP).
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Archived