Brewer Fanatic

Bucks beat Cavs in dramatic fashion

milwaukeesportsfan

I don't think blaming Blake's lack of production on him not wanting to be in Milwaukee or how Stotts used him is valid. If that's true, it says a lot about Blake's character.

My point with the Magloire trade is that the deal for Boozer was most likely never on the table. Kohl signed off on Mo's contract, Gadzuric, Redd, and Simmons so I don't think it's fair to say he's not afraid to spend money.

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply
My point with the Magloire trade is that the deal for Boozer was most likely never on the table. Kohl signed off on Mo's contract, Gadzuric, Redd, and Simmons so I don't think it's fair to say he's not afraid to spend money.

And when he signed all those players you mentioned they weren't coming off playing 33 games the year before and only 51 the year before that. It was a high risk, high reward and Kohl didn't want to take the risk.

Simmons played almost one full season right before we signed him, so there's no way the Bucks knew if he was durable or not when they took on that contract.

I really don't know if that deal was ever on the table. I'm hoping it wasn't, but I just find it hard to imagine the Bucks wouldn't do that deal. Did we still have Ford at the time of this rumor?

I really don't know if that deal was ever on the table. I'm hoping it wasn't, but I just find it hard to imagine the Bucks wouldn't do that deal. Did we still have Ford at the time of this rumor?

My understanding from what he's told is yes we still had Ford. Boozer was Harris' first choice and when Kohl declined it he had to go shopping for a cheaper option which is when the CV for Ford trade happened.

The Ford deal looked like a steal when it happened. Can we get a do over?

TJ Ford is an overrated PG; granted, he's a better distributor than Mo (which admittedly is not setting the bar very high) but a far worse shooter. Teams will dare TJ to shoot from outside because, well, he just can't hit a jump shot. Thankfully he's not being paid (yet) like Mo.

I'm not going to write Villanueva off just yet.

TJ has dramatically improved his shooting though. I think we remember too often his lack of shooting in Milwaukee, but his FG% has gone up every year. I also don't think he's all that overrated when you consider how fast he can get the offense moving. That was my favorite part of watching him play. He also ran the point for a team that won their division last year.

I liked trading him when it happened because I'm still somewhat skeptical on his health. He's one wrong move from being out of the league or worse. I hope it doesn't happen, but that was real scary when it happened against the T Wolves. I also don't think the Bucks were a big fan of when his condo got raided and drugs, etc. was found at his place.

Actually he is. He's going to make an average of $8.25 million over the next 4 years where Mo will make an average of $8.67 million over the next 6 years.

UGH... I forgot that TJ got his extension http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/mad.gif

So... point guards that are severely deficient in one major aspect of their game (TJ's being shooting and Mo's being playmaking) command over $8 million/year now? Gross.

TJ has dramatically improved his shooting though.
"Dramatically" meaning "can't hit anything" to "can occasionally hit a jumper." Teams still defend him the same, as evidenced by the Bucks game the other night - they contain his drive and dare him to shoot from the outside. And until he develops a good outside shot (watch him - he hasn't), that's not going to change.

I liked trading him when it happened because I'm still somewhat skeptical on his health.
I liked the trade largely for this reason. Who knew, ironically, that Villanueva would be the one spending half of last season on the bench...?

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

TJ also had trouble defending didn't he?

Yi vs. Yao TONIGHT!

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

TJ did have trouble defending, but so does Mo. I think TJ was really limited in his height and was often posted up on.

I think TJ has improved a lot shooting since he was drafted. He's much more of a pure point guard than Mo, but Mo is a better shooter. TJ has worked his tail off to improve his shot and it shows. I do use the word dramatic because his rookie year he would rarely take wide open shots even and would shoot lay ups and free throws.

I also think dramatically fits since his FG % has gone up every year he's been in the league. He averaged about 15 ppg, so I don't think it's out of the question he could average 20 in 2 - 3 years (maybe not likely, but no impossible).

I'd rather have TJ on my team than Mo (if all health concerns were gone). Does anyone remember how fast the Bucks were on transition offense with him? I for one was really impressed by that. Maybe Charlie develops, but I think he's going to have a hard time doing it in Milwaukee with the players that are ahead of him right now.

TJ did have trouble defending, but so does Mo. I think TJ was really limited in his height and was often posted up on.

TJ still defends like a sieve. He's always going to have issues with bigger PGs.

TJ has worked his tail off to improve his shot and it shows.
So has Dan Gadzuric; when I'm at games, I see Danny G out there working on his shot and shooting free throws well before anyone else comes out. But, Danny G still doesn't have that great of a shot... and nor does TJ.

I agree that I'd rather have TJ than Mo (if TJ's injury past wasn't what it was).

Danny G might work on his shot before games. That's not really relevant here. I would argue that Danny G has regressed with the Bucks over the past few seasons, which is the opposite of what TJ has done.

Ford has spent a ton of time with John Lucas. In the past few off-seasons he's literally shot hundreds of balls per day to improve. His FG % has improved every season. That is a fact and is largely due to his dedication. I just don't think you write off the work he's done and the improvement from his rookie. It's been pretty impressive.

Do I think he'll every be a good 3 point shooter? I don't think he will be. Average? That's quite possible, but good 3 point shooters usually don't play PG.

Just thought of this while watching, does Yi get voted into the all-star game thanks to the votes from China? I don't feel like looking up the number of votes Yao gets, but I know he always gets a ton from China.

I get frustrated watching Mo push up the court with numbers and pull up for 15 foot jumpers. And I thought he was very poor on D. It'd be different if he'd make them. CV is the epitome of a shoot first player. I don't get the Ruffin love. Great effort...and not much else. Yi looked great. Now that his shot is falling he should be able to ball fake and attack the rim more.

Oh, and that push/hook/pull something out of my butt-shot that Mason shoots is sweet. I can't believe how high percentage it has been for him.

Oh, and that push/hook/pull something out of my butt-shot that Mason shoots is sweet. I can't believe how high percentage it has been for him.

That shot is incredibly sweet. It always just seems to find the hoop when he throws it up there.

On a side note, Yi was very good tonight. I'm impressed.

Archived