Brewer Fanatic

Curt Schilling - latest: Close to re-signing?

On Mike & Mike in the morning today it seems that what the Red Sox are willing to pay and what Schilling wants his quite far apart (they didn't give any specific numbers).

As far as that goes, I don't think it's Schilling wanting more than he's worth, it's the Red Sox knowing they don't need him back next year. As it stands right now, Boston is looking to replace Wakefield and Schilling in the rotation with Buchholz and Lester, and spend that money elsewhere (keeping Lowell, maybe making a run at Torii Hunter or at least a quality 4th OF, etc.). I think Boston realizes that Schilling spent most of '07 on the disabled list, and when he did pitch, he got killed by teams that could actually hit well.

At this point in his career, he's not much more than a 6 inning pitcher. Signing him to a 1-year deal would be a symbolic signing (kind of like Suppan) than a signing that could actually help the team. He'd bring a ton of playoff experience to the team and could really help out the younger pitchers on the staff, but I don't know how much he could help the team considering he's spent about as much time on the DL as Ben Sheets has recently. Just my two cents.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I hate Schilling. He's good, but he's whiney and always grabs attention for himself. We don't need another 6 inning pitcher that will kill our bullpen. He went past 6 innings only 4 times last season. No thanks.

He went past 6 innings only 4 times last season. No thanks.
If you don't want him fine but don't lie. He went 6.2 innings or more 10 times in 24 starts.

Also to compare Sheets had 24 starts this year and went 6.2 or more innings only 6 times.

I think we're all just enamored that he even mentioned Milwaukee (OMG, A SOOPER-STAR KNOWS OUR NAME!!!!).

Five, heck, even two years ago I would have been all over this, but his velocity is -so- far down, and his health-reliability just isn't existent anymore. He can't be on a team where there is pressure for him to make it through the entire year/.He's just not able to provide what we're all hoping for. Thanks, but pass.

Is Wakefield also a free agent?

I think Schilling would be interesting, but I don't see the Brewers putting him at the top of their list. The free agent market isn't huge, so Schilling wouldn't be that bad of a signing. I think the Brewers will have to figure out what starters they want to keep on their team first.

I think the question is, would the Brewers be interested in a player like Schilling who can stir up some distractions?

Don't underestimate the effect of signing Jeff Suppan has on a guy like Schilling. The Brewers paid a lot for Suppan in part because he was a solid citizen on and off the field and some in the game took notice.

I'm a little torn on Schilling. His ability to go deep in games at his age concerns me and he's not the pitcher he once was. But against all non-Yankee opponents, he posted a 3.42 ERA last year and that was in the AL.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Even if Schilling regresses with the crappy D behind him, he'd still be heads and tails above Vargas.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

"being a realistic Brewer fan we have to aim a bit lower than Curt"

Except what FA starting pitcher out there is looking for or would accept a one year deal? None close to his class or any better than the ones they already have that's for sure. That he's only looking for a one year deal (even in the $14 million range) makes him eminently affordable for a Brewer team coming off record attendance, has already lopped off considerable payroll for 2008, and which doesn't have to pay most of it's core players much more than the minimum for another year or two.

The Brewers are in a unique situation right now that fits with Schilling's needs/wants. Now if Mariano Rivera would be looking for a one year deal, he'd be a better fit. But I doubt he is and even if he was, unlike Schilling who's on record mentioning Milwaukee as on his list, Rivera might not want to come here.

I'd like to be a fly on the wall and find out what Milwaukee brings in terms of "off the field things that are big to us." Just curiosity.

As noted before, spring training in Arizona. The best travel schedule in all of baseball, as Jim Powell often points out. No rainouts, or hanging around for rain delays. Fantastic clubhouse quarters and amenities. He lived in the suburbs of Boston, plenty of opportunities in that regard for he and his four children. A chance to be "the Man" on the squad. Probably respects Mike Maddux. Going back to the N.L. A chance, even as media-hungry as he is, to be in a press room with only one entity that covers the Brewers day-to-day, home and road.

Makes sense on many, many levels.

I'm skeptical. Yeah, I'd like him, but how much would the Brewers benefit for the one year or his service? I guess it could help by putting somone who could be a starter into the bullpen, like Bush or Yo (if he needs limited innings yet). It would give the young starters more time to develop, and add some more experience to a pretty young team. But how good would he be? Could he average 6.2 innings or better? Get an ERA under 3.5? How about K/BB? How many starts would he be good for?

How many starts would he be good for?

More than Sheets, most likely.

I'm with Mass on this one. There are many, many reasons why this is potentially a great fit.

A chance, even as media-hungry as he is, to be in a press room with only one entity that covers the Brewers day-to-day, home and road.
That one entity happens to be The Prince of Darkness, so Schilling might actually be able to contribute something insightful to the general public via his blog...

EDIT:

Does "off the field" things include BF.Net? Maybe he's actually read this site, unlike JSOnline's Dynamic Duo...

Also... I'd agree that the "going rate" will be around $14 million.

What's the first date that teams can "discuss" stuff with players? I'd have Doug Melvin and Mark Attanasio pulling up at Schilling's house right away on that date.

I think this would be a major mistake. First, the Brewers are not poised to make a championship run. They're defense and pitching health will see to that. Hiring Schilling doesn't really get you "healthier." Old people usually don't. Secondly, he's probably not worth 2 draft choices (especially how well the Brewers draft--would you really trade the next LaPorta for Schilling?), and I don't believe the Brewers as a small market team can afford to lose these too often. Third 10 to 15 million would be better spent toward a longer term solution, say Coco or some other free agent that could bring value over three to five years. Fourthly, don't go after him because it simply pits one team against another, which does nothing but screw small market teams as costs just soar. Small market teams have to let the marketplace work for them, which in this case means trying to destroy the market so salaries increase at a slower rate.

Has anyone heard anything about the Phillies and Schilling? I'm going to guess the Phillies are interested in him and where he ends up depends on what happens with the Phillies. The Phillies are the best fit in my opinion, but maybe they don't want him?

Tbadder, one element that's attracting people to Schilling is that it is just a one-year deal he'll likely get. While your general point is true (search for long-term as opposed to short-term), I don't believe it is in this case - our young bucks are getting closer & closer to big $. I do think you're onto the right focus though regarding the draft picks, however we're set to inherit picks for at least CoCo & Linebrink, so it'd be less of an issue.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

First, the Brewers are not poised to make a championship run.

The Rockies have shown that all it takes to make a pennant run is being hot in the playoffs. The Brewers could have made some noise already this year, so I don't see why upgrading the pitching, which is one of their weaknesses, would be a bad idea.

Secondly, he's probably not worth 2 draft choices

The Brewers would only give up one of the 2 draft choices. The other comes from MLB.

I think this is a no brainer. As noted by many, Payroll is not a problem next year, and we should have significant dollars free NEXT YEAR, but we don't want to sign a 3-4 year deal with established players because that threatens our payroll in the future. I liken this situation to David Cone in 1992. We might have to outbid a bit, but I think this is a HUGE win for us.

The Brewers will never be a team that can afford to pay an entire starting lineup $10M+ annually. We can however afford (with the right planning) to have 3-4 players at that level IF we can mesh those higher salaries with a cheap, young, core of talent. We have Hardy, Hart, Braun, Fielder, Weeks, Villy, Yo, and Parra (for less than $10 million total)... I don't know that we'll EVER have that group of talent for that cheap ever again. The window is now. There is maybe a 50/50 chance this flops, but so what. For a one year contract we can afford a mulligan. If it works, and we make the World Series, we'll have all the revenue we need to keep our core AND we'll give them even more of a reason to want to be here

As many have said, we want schilling for a few reasons

1) He's better than Vargas

2) He's perhaps one of the Top-5 "big game pitchers" in MLB currently

3) He can help us in the stretch run

4) He brings Milwaukee up another rung on Free Agent Credibility

5) This would insure that ESPN covers Milwaukee and Schillings blog every 5th day (should be in blue)

I think the Brewers would be in GREAT shape if they could sign Schilling, sign Lofton, sign Cirillo, and trade Hall & Vargas to NYY for Abreu and $$$

Sheets Schilling Soup Villy Cappy/Parra CL: Bush

Weeks Lofton Braun Fielder Hart Abreu Estrada Hardy

Bench: Gross, Cirillo, Dillon, Backup C

Has anyone heard anything about the Phillies and Schilling? I'm going to guess the Phillies are interested in him and where he ends up depends on what happens with the Phillies.

Yes, he said that in his blog.

but I think it takes closer to the $15 million to get him. If Sheets is gone, that's not a huge hit. I still think he's going to Philly.

I couldn't agree more with what you said right here, but I do think Arizona is important too, and obviously that would be had with spring training, like others have said. Schilling may just be the type of player this team needs, with Schilling and Sheets healthy, and Suppan, there are three solid starters, that would probably make Milwaukee the best rotation in the NL Central, but that is what we said last year.

Abreu had a nice second half, but the yankees are going into MAJOR rebuilding. Abreu also is significantly overpaid. I believe he has one year (at approx $15 million) left on his deal. Hall ($6M) + Vargas ($3M) + 5M or so in cash would get it done i think. The Yankees do it because they get a decent young player (Hall), and a serviceable pitcher.

Brewers spend $15M on Schilling ($12 million upgrade on Vargas)

Brewers spend $10M on Abreu (Yankees pay $5M of $15M total) (A wash when you consider Hall/Mench's salaries)

Brewers spend $5M on Lofton (save $3 Million for Jenkins)

Brewers spend $1M on Cirillo (save $2 Million from Graffy)

Look at it this way: Brewers spent approx $24 million on Vargas, Jenkins, Hall, and Mench, Graffy in 2007

We could spend: $31 million on Schilling, Abreu, Lofton, Dillon, and Cirillo in 2008

Thats a serious upgrade on four players for only a $7M increase in payroll. Replace Cordero with Bush at CL and the team is nearly budget neutral (only arby raises to Hardy and Weeks, and increases to Sheets/Soup)

Archived