Brewer Fanatic

Curt Schilling - latest: Close to re-signing?

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've heard anywhere from 10 - 15 million for one year (discounted price is reportedly for the Phillies so he can retire there). I don't think this is a guy we have to have, but it wouldn't hurt. Suppan (IMO) pitched well down the stretch and it'd be nice to have another veteran with big game experience. I think the problem is with the amount of starters we currently have. Obviously we'll trade at least one starting pitcher and signing Schilling means moving a young guy to the pen or AAA. I think one interesting thought here (and I know I'll get those against me) is the thought of trading Sheets. If we know now that we're not going to sign Sheets, let's trade him (if we can sell high which is a different topic). To be honest, in terms of only 2008 I'd rather have Schilling than Sheets.

My guess - I don't know if he has any contacts/friends w/ the Crew (hopefully Suppan), but I think it takes closer to the $15 million to get him. If Sheets is gone, that's not a huge hit. I still think he's going to Philly. Interesting thought though brewers255.

A one year deal is practically no-risk, but I don't see a huge need for the guy. It seems like he's running out of gas. He's throwing mid-80's now, and that's great that he was all gutty, gritty, etc. in the playoffs with that stuff, but soon enough hitters catch up to it. He's always been kind of prone to the HR, and I would expect that to worsen now. And what better place for a guy who serves up homers than Citizen's Bank Park?

He was throwing higher than mid 80s in the World Series. The FOX gun said 94 @ Boston, but from what the media says that is usually 3 mph high than reality.

Thoughts from the blog....

- He wants to play for a playoff caliber team (why wouldn't he?)

- And that includes every team except the Yanks and Rockies (since he just beat them)

- From his blog he wants to be in the NL

- He wants to play for 1/3 of the teams in baseball

Other teams that he is considering, directly from his blog: "Cleveland, Detroit, Anaheim, New York Mets, Philadelphia, Atlanta, L.A., S.D., Arizona, Chicago Cubs, St. Louis, Milwaukee."
And Orlando. And Minneapolis. And Tampa Bay. And Kansas City. And Omaha. And Nashville. And Sacramento. And Salt Lake City. I can't imagine he is actually interested in all of those teams - that just sounds like leverage.

If we are planning on letting Sheets pitch out this year and than lose him via free agency, I would be all for signing Schilling to a one year deal and then trading Sheets now. I would prefer Schilling over Sheets at this point - plus a league change would likely help Schilling.

However, as mentioned - we would have to move a few more pitchers to make this even possible. I am ok with moving Sheets.

Would you be ok if the Brewers signed Schilling, kept Sheets - and traded Parra and Villanueva for Crawford?

as mentioned on the big board, this speaks volumes for how far the brewers have come that a guy like Schilling would even consider us for possibly his last season. While i highly doubt the brewers would actively pursue Schilling, this could lead to other quality free agents to at least thinking about the brewers and being willing to listen to our offers. In the past, free agents would give their agents a list of teams/gms to talk to and we were not even thought of to be contacted. the brewers are finally getting some respect as a viable option.

Scott Boras knows Melvin's phone number.

Would you be ok if the Brewers signed Schilling, kept Sheets - and traded Parra and Villanueva for Crawford?

I definitely wouldn't do that. We'd most likely only have Schilling for one year and Sheets is a free agent after next year too so if both of them leave and we trade Parra and Villanueva for Crawford we're left with Capuano, Gallardo, Bush, Suppan and Vargas as the only starters with no immediate help in the minors to fill in in case of injury.

Schilling would be fantastic -- a one-year committment -- $14 M should do it -- don't overlook the fact he'd be back in Arizona for spring training, a huge selling point for him. I'm sure he respects Jeff Suppan, and would prove to be a tremendous mentor to Gallardo, Villanueva, and yes, Sheets.

Make the call, Doug!

I don't know if I'd trade Parra and CV away. I'd like to keep one of them. It's too bad we can't package him with Inman...

On Mike & Mike in the morning today it seems that what the Red Sox are willing to pay and what Schilling wants his quite far apart (they didn't give any specific numbers).

I wouldn't either. I am just pointing out that IF we were to sign Schilling and keep Sheets we would have to deal some of our starting pitchers. It would really provide us with an opportunity to "go big". Signing Schilling and trading Parra and Villy for a top notch left fielder would have to make us the favorites in the NL. (But it would also sacrafice a lot of our future)

I have always been of the opinion that you build a good team every year and hope that some year the cards just fall right. (Well, at least as a smaller market team)

All of this said, it is fun to be a part of the hot stove - but I can't imagine Schilling not ending up in Philadelphia. They fit his NL preference. Are loaded on the bases. Are a big market. Have money to spend. Might also sign Lowell. And horribly need pitching. It is just a perfect fit for him.

The Brewers will have money next year. Its after that that things start getting tight with Weeks, Fielder, and Hart all hitting arby at the same time, Sheets needing to be resigned plus further arby raises.

So in other words, as long as Schilling is gone after next year, there wouldn't be any problem.

From the Schilling blog:

There are a million little things that go into this from stadiums to school districts to travel to spring training to etc. etc. etc. but the list represents the teams after Boston that have some of the off the field things that are big to us, plus the potential to go into October next year.

I'd like to be a fly on the wall and find out what Milwaukee brings in terms of "off the field things that are big to us." Just curiosity.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

You could realistically sign Lofton ($6 million), Cordero ($9 million) and Schilling ($14 million) and still keep the payroll under $80 million. And I agree with endaround if they're going to spend money now would be the time. With Sheets contract needing to be extended, all the young guys hitting arby, Suppan getting raises along with Hall and money is going to get tight.

Archived