Brewer Fanatic

Ted Simmons new bench coach!

RoseBowlMtg

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow --

Let me start by warning Rose that this does not get Simba closer to the HOF http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

I like Ted Simmons a ton. He definitely brings a cerebral and competency element that is sorely needed in our coaching staff.

I like the fact that I can explain what Dale Sveum does now, and unlike Sveum as a bench-coach, I can say that Simmons is the smart one.

The only thing that gives me pause, is I wonder if Simmons can last longer than Yount did.

I just expected to see Simmons in the front office somewhere.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
So how do we know SImmons is cerebral?
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Simba has been living at home in St Louis running the Padres minor league system and was incredibly happy there. Yost's respect for Simmons has been mentioned many times so his pull must be huge.

I just hope Simba can lead the way he did for the 82 team according to so many players from that team. He kept all 25 players involved according to Jerry Augustine.

I just hope he can teach the team some of the plate discipline he displayed when he was in his twenties.

24, 599, 47, 35

25, 581, 63, 35

26, 546, 73, 35

27, 516, 79, 37

28, 516, 77, 39

29, 448, 61, 34

If he can help some of the younger studs get anywhere close to that kind of discipline. Yost love for Simmons is well noted and Simmons has mentioned when he was back here last summer that he would want the firstbasemen, 3rd basemen and shortstop for his Padre team.

Very interesting and exciting move.

FTJ pretty funny, i think its true. I saw what Dale can do when Ned is thrown out or suspended and there isn't much there. It sucks that we now have a worse 3rd basecoach than last season to improve the bench coach position.

Also I would hope Ned learns his lesson from last year and there is no need to fire him in June as some as speculated.

I'm lukewarm on this. I like Simmons too, but just because you have a big vocabulary doesn't mean much to me. For all we know, he will over think things.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Simmons is universally respected for his baseball intellect, that part will not be a problem. I don't know how well he knows these players, etc, that side of the job is fair to question, but his baseball knowledge, and his ability to teach, have never been questioned.

Bill Schroeder goes on and on about all of the things Simmons taught him as a young catcher, Don Sutton tells of how he had no idea how to pitch the Orioles in the final game of the '82 season, because he had never faced them. Simmons provided a "mirror" of each player from the National League...pitch this guy like that guy, etc. Sutton gives Simmons 100% of the credit for that victory.

As a baseball brain, this is a terrific move, we'll see how well he fits in the role.

I'm lukewarm on this. I like Simmons too, but just because you have a big vocabulary doesn't mean much to me. For all we know, he will over think things.

Yeah -- I hear where you are coming from -- Ultimately Ned is going to be pulling the strings, and if Yount wasn't able to work with Yost, I am not so sure Simmons will either.

Yost wears number 3 for:

1: Dale Earnhart

2: Bobby Cox

3: Ted Simmons: who Yost said Simmons came up to him in spring training and brought him aside saying he has been in the game a long time and has learned a lot. Every game Simba took Yost aside and asked him questions regarding the game. Yost credits Simmons for getting his start into thinking about baseball. When Simmons was in the St Louis front office he tried to hire Yost so the respect goes both ways.

My concern is not btwn these two friends but if Braun, Hall, Fielder and Rickie will learn and improve. It is a very exciting possibility.

Yost credits Simmons for getting his start into thinking about baseball.
< Insert joke here>

Archived