Brewer Fanatic

Renteria traded to Tigers

YoGo24

That's what I thought, but he played 2B and 3B for the Braves (and SS in '07). I've read also that the Braves maybe packaging Kelly Johnson to get a replacement for Andruw Jones. Either way Escobar looks like he'll be starting somewhere in the infield for the Braves in 2008. It's nice to have those kind of options.

There's nothing wrong with Kelly Johnson, but I've got to imagine the Braves are going to look to fill in Jones void via a trade. The free agent crop isn't all that impressive. It'd be a nice SS/2B combo with Escobar and Johnson.

The free agent crop at CF is the only place where its deep. Besides Jones, you have Cameron, Hunter, and Rowand. Basically you have three players who have been All Stars recently plus Cameron who can fill in decently. Add to that Lofton is available again.

It will be interesting to see what they do with Lillibridge.

It probably bears mentioning that Renteria has a pretty decent shot at 3000 hits. He'll be entering his age 32 season with 1934 hits in the bank. He needs good health and to not fall off a cliff like Alomar, but he certainly has a reasonable shot at it.

Robert

I don't think Mike Cameron is all that great and he's old/getting old. Torii Hunter isn't all that impressive to me when compared to Jones (he's 2 years older, but did have a lot better year than Jones). He plays a great OF, but if they're looking to get an Andruw Jones type player (when he was in his prime) it's not Hunter. Aaron Rowand wouldn't be a horrible fit -- nice mention on him endaround. I think he would fit pretty well in Atlanta -- with his 2007 numbers -- and hasn't been really consistent yet year to year to be a sure thing.

I think out of those the options for the Braves would be to retain Jones at a discount (unlikely since they've said they wouldn't), try to get Cameron to agree to a short deal (if all else fails), pay Hunter a ton of money (when in fact Andruw Jones is 2 years young and might bounce back and be better than Hunter), or pay Rowand a ton of money and hope the 2007 Rowand is the future Rowand.

I'd say with all these options I wouldn't forget Jones (bridges may have been burned) or make a trade. The Braves haven't been known as of late to make big splashes in free agency (offensively). That's why I'm guessing a trade might be possible.

And remember the name Jair Jurrjens - I think he's going to be huge.

As long as I don't need to pronounce the name, I can probably remember it. Oddly, he's a native of Curacao along with Andruw Jones (and that weird blue liquor?)...there's probably some conspiracy involved actually.

And remember the name Jair Jurrjens - I think he's going to be huge.

Gorkys isn't so bad himself, I saw him play in the MWL this year and he is a great player. He doesn't hit for power, but he is really fast and good. Won the MWL MVP this year, I don't know what the Tigers are thinking here, it makes no sense to me.

Don't think so MS, I read somewhere they see Guillen as only a 1B, and i thought they were nuts.

Yeah, I think they're nuts too. He's not great defensively, but he's definately passable and probably worth it for the offensive production they can get from 6.

Archived