Brewer Fanatic

Reactions to the Doug Melvin interview

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
It seems like it is up to homer and me to bring up Fukudome's name whenever we get a chance. He really would be a perfect fit for the Brewers given the kind of hitter he's projected to be in MLB (decent average, high OBP, lots of doubles), although I doubt the Brewers get involved, as they seem to have left field reserved for LaPorta, meaning a stop-gap for the next year or two is a more likely option, at least for left field. I still have a feeling Hall could be one of the bigger named players dealt this offseason which could prompt Hart being moved to CF leaving the Brewers with two corner OF spots that need to be filled. Hall is one of the bigger OBP culprits in the lineup.
I think the reason I keep bringing up Fukudome is that it's almost as if Melvin is describing him when he talks about the kind of player he wants. He's absolutely a perfect fit - left handed, outfielder, hits for average and some power, takes walks.....etc.etc. I wouldn't hesitate to sign him to a four year deal (if the money is there). As you said, they can always trade Hall, move Hart to CF, put Fukudome in RF and let LaPorta play LF.

But the money will be an issue. I would think he'd get something similar to Matsui - possibly less because he doesn't have the power.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived