Brewer Fanatic

Cards Release Mike Maroth

DHonks
Maroth is a lefty with a very smooth delivery who has had some success. His recent bouts with bone spurs in his elbow have slowed him lately, but he was looking like a solid lefty, especially coming from the AL, entering this season. I'd love to consider him this offseason

This is a fine guy to take a risk on, as he had a bad '07 after several quality campaigns. He may well have not been near 100%, as those types of dips almost always indicate an injury. However, it'd be a lot easier to throw him out there every 5th day for many teams other than the Crew.

Basically, this is a guy that a team that plans on being pretty bad in 2008, and has young pitchers they don't want to rush, picks up to try and eat 200 innings on a one year deal for a couple million. Best case is he throws up a 4.50 ERA, which has some value, of course, but I don't see it being in Milwaukee.

I could see him getting a invite as an emergency starter in Milwaukee but he'll have a bunch of those offers. Basically he'll likely get a one year deal somewhere with the hope for both parties last year was all injury related. Houston looks like prime candidate given their utter lack of pitching.

Scott was never that bad with us.

Absolutely correct. Even with his disasterous 2000 campaign (7.42 ERA), he was exactly a league average pitcher for his career (100 ERA+) and he threw right around 200 IP year in, year out. Very valuable. How much money are the Giants giving Barry Zito for what is likely to be no better than this level of performance for the next 6 years?

Not sure Karl's a good comp for Maroth though - maybe for Maroth's upside, as previously stated. But when the upside is league average innings eater and the downside is worst starter in MLB, he's not really worth a look from a team that already has 8 pitchers with a higher upside and higher downside.

Best case is he throws up a 4.50 ERA, which has some value, of course, but I don't see it being in Milwaukee.
I really hope a 4.50 ERA doesn't have value in Milwaukee next season. Looking at last season, though, it would have been nice to have someone to throw out a 4.50 ERA.

If I had Braun's pee in my fridge I'd tell everybody.

~Nottso

Archived