Brewer Fanatic

Brian Shouse Illinois Hometown Newspaper Story

Mass Haas

Nice story, plenty of quotes, just your regular LOOGY:

http://www.effinghamdailynews.com/sports/local_story_298123751.html

Shouse returns home

Millie Lange

Effingham Daily News

Perseverance and love of the game. Those are the key elements when talking with Brian Shouse, an Effingham native who pitches for the Milwaukee Brewers.

Shouse was in Effingham Wednesday signing autographs and talking with fans who have followed his career for quite some time.

"It was kinda neat since it's been a long time since I've been here," said Shouse. "It's a shame that it was just myself instead of Trish and the girls coming with me."

Shouse was referring to his wife Trish and daughters Haleigh (age 14), Emmy (age 11) and Daisy (6 weeks).

"I wish I could stay a little bit longer," said Shouse. "But that's the life of a parent being a father of three. It's been a big adjustment for me with Daisy. She was a couple of weeks old before I got back from the season. I didn't get much sleep. But she's fun and she's getting to the point where she smiles at you and wants to talk back to you in baby talk."

Shouse was drafted by the Pittsburgh Pirates in the 13th round of the 1990 amateur draft and was signed June 8, 1990. He made his Major League debut with the Pirates in 1993 where he played in six games. He was released by the Pirates in 1996 then signed as a free agent with the Baltimore Orioles. He signed with the Boston Red Sox in 1997 and finally got to pitch in the Major Leagues after five years.

From there he signed with the Arizona Diamondbacks in 1998, the New York Mets in 2000, the Orioles in 2000, the Houston Astros in 2000, the Kansas City Royals in 2001, the Astros in 2002 and finally with the Texas Rangers in 2002. He was used as a left-handed reliever with the Rangers for three seasons where he had a 5-2 record.

He was traded by the Rangers to the Brewers in 2006 and that's where he is right now.

"I spent a good portion of my career in the minor leagues, like 12 years," said Shouse. "About 2002 until the present day is when I established myself.

"I had a lot of support from Trish and the girls. There are many times when I was frustrated. I really enjoy playing the game and that's what kept me going. My wife was very supportive of everything. Having God on my side and persevering."

Shouse talked about the pros and cons of playing in the Major Leagues.

"We are able to make a living doing it," said Shouse. "Being away from everybody is the hardest. Haleigh and Trish came with me but when the kids went to school they couldn't come with me. I missed out on a lot of school activities they were involved in. That's the sad part of it. The kids enjoyed picking up and coming where I was and that was a fun part for them.

"You're gone from seven to eight months out of the year and even when my family comes during the baseball season, I still don't see them because I'm on the road half the time. Trish always laughs saying she would get the kids disciplined then I'd come home and there it all would go."

Shouse graduated from EHS and competed for Bradley University. He is a member of the Bradley Braves Hall of Fame after playing baseball there from 1987 to 1990.

"I'd like to keep playing a couple more years for sure. I always said I wanted to play until I was 40 year-old or older. I'm 39 now. Really I keep having fun playing and when that ends then I'll quit. As long as someone wants to keep paying me."

The Brewers finished second in the Central Division behind the Chicago Cubs with an 83-79 record.

"I think as far as the team we had a very successful season even though we didn't make the playoffs," said Shouse. "After we started at 24-10 expectations went sky high. We thought we'd make the playoffs and all this stuff but we kinda came back down a little bit.

"We just need to stay consistent throughout the season. Our starters just need to go out there and give us what they can. The bullpen needs to come in and do what we're supposed to do. There were a couple of months where the pitching staff struggled. It wasn't real good at that point. We need a couple more arms in the bullpen.

I know we probably need another bat or two in the lineup. We'll try to find those in the organization. We have quite a few guys who can step up and help us."

Shouse talked about the Major League ballparks he's pitched in and the players he's faced.

"I don't really like Wrigley Field because I don't do well there. Every ball park is a nice ball park to go to. Philadelphia is a launching pad because of the shorter fences. They even say that about Milwaukee. If you make your pitches you should do okay where you are. I spent a lot of time in the American League in Texas and I know more about those ball parks.

"I always liked San Francisco and Seattle. You want to pitch in the bigger ballparks. Here in the NL a lot of teams are getting new stadiums that are fantastic. Milwaukee has a great ballpark with the dome. St. Louis has an unbelievable stadium now. You just kind of like them all really. I don't really think I have a favorite. I think it's just the thrill being able to go to them.

"Barry Bonds was never fun to pitch to. I always get stuck with pitching against the Barry Bonds, Ken Griffy Jrs. Jason Giambis, the good leftys.

"You're out there, your knees knocking, sweating bullets and saying 'I hope I get this guy out.' I enjoy the pressure and challenge and I wouldn't have it any other way. You're either the hero or the goat. Hopefully eight out of 10 times you're the hero. To get out of a huge situation when there are two outs and you're facing Barry Bonds and you get out of it. That's what makes it all worthwhile."

Shouse is the son of Al and Elaine Shouse.

"Dad helped me a lot when I was growing up," said Shouse. "He caught me in the back yard. He took a lot of beatings and bruises. He even took one off the head one time. He did all the dirty work. I just needed to practice. He'd get a couple handkerchiefs and put in his glove so he wouldn't hurt his hand.

"As I get older and have my own kids I appreciate what my parents did for me. I wouldn't be where I am without my family."

Archived