Brewer Fanatic

Stevenson Joins Heck with Astros

Mass Haas

That's two crosscheckers in the past two years the Brewers have lost to go to other teams to become scouting directors. That's a pretty good sign of a successful scouting department, as Jack Z. typically gets all of the credit.

That's what I was thinking, cj. When I first saw this thread title, I thought, 'I've probably been giving too much credit to just one guy... I wonder how deep the talent goes in our scouting department...' Congrats to Bobby Heck, that's quite a promotion!

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I'd be interested in knowing who'll replace Heck. That crosschecker position is starting to become a springboard. It's a good thing than any of Jack Z or his top lieutenants are getting calls for these things. They certainly deserve it. It almost seems like our farm system and drafting prowess has become a perpetual motion machine under Jack's leadership.

I'd be interested in knowing who'll replace Heck.

Recent history has shown that it will likely be someone in-house, as Ray Montgomery recently took over as the Central CC after serving as an area scout, as he took over for Jeff Cornell, who was the Central CC and is now the Roving CC. Bruce Seid replaced Tom Allison last offseason as the West Coast CC when Allison took the D-Backs SD job.

I would guess that Douglas Reynolds, Tim McIlvaine and Charles Aliano are the most likely candidates, with the organization likely preferring someone that is familiar with the talent on the East Coast.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Bobby Heck of the Astros has signed away Jim Stevenson as an area scout for North Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas and Missouri. Stevenson spent six years with the Brewers, five in amateur scouting, and last year in pro scouting. Among current farmhands signed by Stevenson are Mike Bell, Andy Bouchie, Chuckie Caufield, Shawn Ferguson, Brad Miller, David Welch, Josh Wahpepah, and Travis Wendte.

But Stevenson's legacy to the Brewers will be in recommending and signing Yovani Gallardo -- thanks, Jim!

I didn't see this mentioned anywhere else, tucked at the bottom of the MJS story by Tom Haudricourt:

http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=691193

Scouting moves: Zduriencik announced he hired Daniel Nellum as an area scout for the mid-Atlantic region. Tim McIlvaine will move from that area to central Florida.

Does this mean Charles Aliano has also left the Brewers? Did he also follow Heck to Houston? I don't remember hearing about that, as I thought the only opening was Jim Stevenson's territory in North Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas, Missouri and Arkansas, which according to the Brewers website is handled by Kevin Ellis.

I'm not sure what year this is from, but Daniel Nellum served as Navy's director of baseball operations, and this link gives some idea to his baseball background:

http://navysports.cstv.com/sports/m-basebl/mtt/nellum_dan00.html

Archived