Brewer Fanatic

How are divisions determined in High School FB playoffs?

RyDogg66

Sorry, burnie. When I was in high school, Monroe was bad at all high profile sports. Their run didn't start until I was in college. And if it's of any comfort, the Cheese stumbled to a 0-9 record this year

I'm just messing with you. We had a little discussion about this some time ago and I figured this would be the time to nudge you again.http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

"His whole life is a fantasy camp. People should plunk down $2000 to live like him for a week. Sleep, do nothing, fall ass-backwards into money, mooch food off your neighbors and have sex without dating... THAT'S a fantasy camp."

Oshkosh also has 3 high schools and I think there might be a couple schools like North Fondy and high schools in the suburbs of Appleton who would draw the rural kids away from Oshkosh.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

I'm just messing with you.

Oh, I know. And I'll always have 1986 to dangle over your head, won't I?

Yes, you will. My freshman year and you ruined our trip to Madison.

"His whole life is a fantasy camp. People should plunk down $2000 to live like him for a week. Sleep, do nothing, fall ass-backwards into money, mooch food off your neighbors and have sex without dating... THAT'S a fantasy camp."

gotta go with kewaunee here, they were ranked 1st in the state rankings in the js polls for about the last month and a half of the year in the middle enrollment schools and end up with a 2 seed from the WIAA in D5? after going undefeated with scoring an average of 42 ppg and giving up 17ppg? don't think they had a game within 10 points all year, but brillion gets a 1 seed and they were in the small school section of the same conference? WIAA i swear smokes some really good stuff, anyway, kewaunee rolls onto a 62-6 win in their first round game - after they were up 35-0 after the end of the first... wait... you got it... QUARTER, when a 1 seed in D5 gets bounced 24-12 , niiiiiiiiiiiice, i hope i just didnt jinx them, and GO INDIANS

gotta go with kewaunee here, they were ranked 1st in the state rankings in the js polls for about the last month and a half of the year in the middle enrollment schools and end up with a 2 seed from the WIAA in D5? after going undefeated with scoring an average of 42 ppg and giving up 17ppg? don't think they had a game within 10 points all year, but brillion gets a 1 seed and they were in the small school section of the same conference? WIAA i swear smokes some really good stuff, anyway, kewaunee rolls onto a 62-6 win in their first round game - after they were up 35-0 after the end of the first... wait... you got it... QUARTER, when a 1 seed in D5 gets bounced 24-12 , niiiiiiiiiiiice, i hope i just didnt jinx them, and GO INDIANS

Weird. One team got really screwed in the rankings apparently (they were talking about it in the JSonline chat don't remember which team though.) Arrowhead steamrolled everybody this year but they'll probably run into another good run defense and their lack of a passing game and the blah playcalling of Taraska will once again lead to their downfall.

That seems strange that it would be enrollment, because a school like Oshkosh North as 1,400 students, while the entire city of Tomah is 9,000 people and Milton is just over 5,000, yet from what I can tell, they are in the same division (D-II)

I figured that division was based on school enrollment size, but some of those D-II schools are pretty big I think.

IIRC Milton's school lines go all the way to I-94(for those who don't know, is into northern Janesville) or very near to it, so they have a lot more students than just in Milton(however i believe this changes after this year).

( '_')

( '_')>⌐■-■

(⌐■-■)

This isnt the Premiership. Really good teams are almost always full of seniors, and few teams can reload year in a year out. You could get a team like Tomah, in D-II this year who could win it all and then move them to D-I and now they graduate their whole team and have to face Holmstead. That just wouldnt work.

Yeah, but you have some teams (i.e. Waunakee, Ashwaubenon) that are just ridiculous good year in and year out. Reloading doesn't really happen at those schools. Waunakee is too good year after year to be playing in D-II.

Weird. One team got really screwed in the rankings apparently (they were talking about it in the JSonline chat don't remember which team though.) Arrowhead steamrolled everybody this year but they'll probably run into another good run defense and their lack of a passing game and the blah playcalling of Taraska will once again lead to their downfall.

You're probably thinking about Wisconsin Lutheran. They only lost one game to Hartford AT Hartford, 21-19, they beat Marquette 37-20, and they are a four seed. But seeding is determined by conference wins. Wisconsin Lutheran plays in a "smaller" conference, team wise. So they are always "penalized" in the seedings. It shouldn't matter much though because they are always very good.

In any event, I'm rooting for Wisco, the only Vikings I'll cheer for.
Follow me on Twitter

Summer baseball, I believe, still just has one division. Makes for a tough road to state for schools like mine, which had about 175 students at the time I played in the late 80s. There are so few teams, though, that it makes sense to just have the one division.

My alma mater Eleva-Strum (Div 7) is beating teams Patriot-style this year with their smallest margin of victory at something like 27 points. I can't bring up the brackets this morning, FTJ, but maybe we'll see you in Madison?

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

"Summer baseball, I believe, still just has one division."

I went to a school of 1200 and we played Sheboygan Falls at state. I think Baldwin-Woodville was there too.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Yeah, but you have some teams (i.e. Waunakee, Ashwaubenon) that are just ridiculous good year in and year out. Reloading doesn't really happen at those schools. Waunakee is too good year after year to be playing in D-II.

I just can't get on board with this sentiment. I don't see why a team should be punished for being consistently good. Enrollment is a far more fair way to group schools than by arbitrarily bumping teams up or down based on performance year-in and year-out. Every team in each division has a fairly even field of students from which to draw their team. There's no reason why other DII schools shouldn't be able to compete with these elite teams that you mention.

Just would like to give a shout out to my Wausau West Warriors for getting there first ever playoff victory in football on Tuesday. Pretty big upset too as this years team was 4-5 and beat a Chippewa Falls team that had only 1 lose the whole year.

If you're in the Milwaukee area tomorrow and are looking for something to do, head over to Greendale for the Wisco/Greendale game at 4 PM. Possibly the two best D3 teams in the state going at it in round 2. Should be a good one! I'll be there rooting for my Vikings!

Archived