Brewer Fanatic

Looking for a car---what do people recommend?

NeedMoreFans

So I'm going to begin to look for a new car. I'm wondering what kind of cars do people like. I'm looking at something like either at Toyota Corolla or Honda Civic, or maybe a Toyota Camry or Honda Accord, depending which size I want to go with (medium or large). I want something with great gas mileage both in town and on the freeway (but not hybrid because I can't afford it), 4-door, and a decent sized trunk. I'm 6-2, 230, so I need somthing that is comfortable for me to drive in. Also, I'd rather have something that is reliable.

I'm not sure about new or used. I'd rather buy used, as long as it's within three years old and has under 60,000 miles (would really like somthing around 40-45 K) and still under warranty. If it isn't that much cheaper to buy used as it is new, I'll go new.

Any ideas? What would people recommend?

I bought a 2007 Honda Civic a few months ago. And I just got 30 mpg the last time I filled up virtually all city driving. I'm 6'0" 215 pounds, so not as big as you, but I'm not a smurf either. It's really a lot bigger than it even looks from the outside. Plenty of trunk space. So far, I'm very pleased with it.

I am 6'8" 260 and drive a 2006 Honda Accord...I have driven roomier vehicles, but like you, I wanted gas mileage. I fit with a little room to spare, so you wouldn't have a problem. Love it to death, and haven't had any problems with it.

I just bought a 2005 Accord and I love it. It's got everything: V6, Navigation, XM radio, sunroof, heated seats, dual zone climate control, etc. For the cost, I could've gotten a used Infiniti G35 (which I have a soft spot for) but I decided on the Accord as it has so much more bang for the buck.

The one I got was a Honda Certified Used Car which means it still carries the factory warranty as well as a 100K Powertrain, transmission, transaxle warranty. The mileage is decent considering it's a V6, I get about 27-28 on the highway and 24ish when driving through town.

I've owned three Toyotas since 1990 (Corolla, then Camry, then switched this summer to a Prius), and can count on one hand the problems I've had with each. They are ultra reliable. I'm not your size, so I fit in most any car; but my S.O. is almost your size (6-0) and was comfortable in both the Corolla (though that was a while ago and the car has since been redesigned) and the Camry.

For what it's worth, the passenger space in the Prius is comparable to that of a Camry. You wouldn't think so, looking from the outside. Not that that'll suddenly put a hybrid within your price range, but I thought I'd mention it.

We test drove the hybrid Civic this summer and it felt smaller to me; also had less in the way of interior amenities. But it cost less than the Prius, and the standard Civic is presumably also less expensive. I'd say they're worth test driving too. We went to Zimbrick for the test drive and weren't hassled at all - no salesperson called back later or anything.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

Go with a Mazda3 or Mazda6. Cooler looking and more original than Toyota/Honda with the same quality.
I'll second third the Mazda love. I have a 2006 Mazda3, it gets 30mpg and is as zippy as all heck. It's got me out of a couple of scrapes already when idiots have pulled a ridiculous manouver. Add in the sunroof and 6CD changer and I'm a happy boy.

I'm also of the larger persuasion and there's plenty of room for both me in the front and my 6'3" kid in the back. 2 sets of golf clubs will fit in the trunk (or lots of shopping bags for those that care about these things).

Like Valpo said, it's just a little more stylish than the average saloon. Just my 2c.

I allways driven Honda Accords and really like them. I just bought a used 04 Accord and am very happy. Good gas milleage (around 30), very relliable, great resale value! If you want a sportier looking car look at the two door coupe Accord, pretty sharp. These cars will go forever with very little maintance too. I have owned a v-6 accord and it nice to have when you need the extra juice but you will loose a little on gas mileage with it. Best of luck!

I'll second third the Mazda love

I guess i'll 4th that love. I have a 2004 Mazda 6 with the bigger 6 with a manual transmittion and it's a blast to drive. I don't drive too much and don't put a lot of miles on my car (17,000 in 3+ years) so I wanted a fun car to drive and wasn't as concerned about the mileage. I get about 20 in the city and close to 30 on the HWY, but the Mazda 3 is much better and overall gets better ratings overall. I test drove both and both are very solid fun cars. I just liked the bigger Mazda 6.

i would go with either of the honda's. my family has had 5 of them in the past 10 years and they all have been great.

i have had an accord and a civic (and a pilot, but dont get one of those unless you need to!) and neither have been space issues for be. gas on both is great.

i generally get about 25MPG on a '02 accord and got close to 30MPG on an '04 civic before i traded it in for the beastly pilot.

We have two Hyndai Accents because of their reliability and economy. They are cheap to buy new have A 100,000 mile warranty, are inexpensive to drive and the first one was reliable enough for us to get another without hesitation. No break downs at all for either of them.

I jsut read this in the local paper about govenment vehicles for sale. Might be worth looking into.

http://www.postcrescent.com/includes/newspaper/data/property/surpluscars.shtml

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

I was wondering about Hyndai. I know they are cheap, but does that make them cheap? Looking at the advice of some people, I've checked out the Mazda 3, and I like what I see. The only thing is the cheaper models come with a lot of stuff optional that I'd want on my car, which would drive the price up. I'm also not sure how many used I'll find.

I have a 2004 Toyota Matrix. Love the car, very versatile and can fit a LOT of stuff in it with the seats down. When I test drove it, I intentionally sat in back (6', 275) and I was quite comfortable. Not that I've ever sat in the back. I was just in Florida this weekend for my sister's wedding and rented a Nissan Sentra. VERY impressed with the trunk space and the room in it. Those are my recommendations. I rented a Mazda this past spring, I think it was the 3, and I really liked it as well.

Archived