Brewer Fanatic

Intersting ESPN column about Wally Backman

PKBadger

LINK

A couple of thoughts:

1. It sounds like he got kind of a raw deal. Billy Martin, anyone? And regarding the incident in Anderson, SC, I'm not really surprised that he reacted that way. If I was a World Series champion with a successful managing record and some 22-year-old kid fresh out of college called me an "embarrassment" on the radio, I would be pretty pissed off.

2. This guy studied under the best (I know that BTA is a big fan of Davey Johnson disciples) and it sounds like he's an awesome tactician. Everyone raves about his decision-making. If he were to turn it around, maybe manage a season in AA, would you consider him as a replacement to Yost (assuming that things don't get better)? I understand that he has a lot of work to do repairing his reputation, but something tells me he's going to get a shot someday and do very well and leave me wondering why the Brewers couldn't have gotten a guy like that.

from what I heard, many in the Dbacks organization were furious he was hired from A ball without giving excellent AAA manager Chip Hale an interview. Throw in that Backman supposedly had several run-ins with the law and was known for alcoholism, and you can see why many in the organization were shocked by his hiring

I personally respect Wally Backman and think the game needs more people like him. We give a walk or a short suspension to all of the players that can't stay out of trouble, yet this guy somehow committed career suicide because of a drinking problem and some outbursts.

Even though he may not live the most straight and narrow life of any manager around, all of his issues wouldn't even make page 6 of any New York paper most days. He is a hard working, influential coach that was willing to take much less than he deserved in order to get another chance to fullfill his dream. How many coaches would scoff at the idea of taking less than they viewed as worthy. Instead he is coaching in some bush league for free hot dogs just trying to chase his dream.

I would take an in game tactician that would make bold moves; that you would see a direct correlation to victories (Les Miles) than a coach that tries not to lose games just holding on for dear life. Players feed off of a coaches confidence and I think this team is seriously lacking in that facet.

I want to like Wally Backman. And it does stink how he got screwed by the Diamondbacks.

However, over the course of time there are reasons some prospects pan out and some don't. Same goes for minor league managers & coaches -- some rise up to the majors, and many don't.

But over time the "whole" picture of a guy becomes pretty known. The best guy for any job isn't necessarily the guy who wants it the most. Wally wants it badly. But by your actions over time you often seal your fate. So far that's what it looks like for Backman as a manager.

My folks live next to Prineville -- It's an interesting town that evolution has seemed to miss.

I don't feel like Backman got screwed by the D'Backs at all -- He should have disclosed his issues to the Diamondbacks, bankruptcy, arrested for assault etc.

Now, if he had disclosed them and explained what happened (failed business venture, overblown assault charge etc) the Dbacks may have given him the job.

Where the D'backs screwed up, is that they were not very diligent in checking Wally's background -- and that was egg on their face. What probably should have happened, is that the D'backs would have done the background checks and then not offered Wally the position.

It is not if Wally was fired for a DUI or bankruptcy -- rather because he did not disclose it at the hiring -- and that is pretty standard operating procedure for any business.

As far as a 2nd chance goes -- It's not as if MLB manager positions are a growing industry/job market -- or even minor league gigs.

Archived