Brewer Fanatic

Downhill Skis

TwinsBrewersWorldSeries

Hey all,

Its been awhile since I was a regular downhill skier (probably 8th/9th grade or so)... I had some Fischer Skis back then IIRC, but I snapped one at Sunburst Ski Area North of Milwaukee. A buddy of mine was involved in a collision that night (broken leg) and my track coach put a "ban" on downhill skiing until we finshed high school http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

I didn't have much time during college/grad school/first year of my professional gig, but now I have the interest/financial ability to make a nice purchase. I'm probably looking at skiing 1-2 times/week this winter and would prefer to have a decent pair of skiis so I don't have to rent.

I figured if I invest $300-400 in a ski pass and $500-$600 in Skis/Boots, that I'll probably "break even" (assuming I go skiing 20 times this season), but if I can keep the skis in good condition I figure thats a good investment long term.

What brands should I look at, (order online versus a Lackey & Joys)? I'd say my budget is around $500-$600 for Skis, Boots, & Poles. Is that a decent budget, or can I get better value by increasing that a bit?

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!

Its late at night so I will keep this brief for now, but some quick advise I can give you is to spend the majority of your money on Boots. This is by far the most important purchase. In fact, I would go so far as to recommend you spend all your money now on boots, and rent/demo until the end of the year when you can pick up a demo pair of skis or just find something on clearance. I have had my boots for quite a while now, but I go through skis rather quickly as it seems ski technology is changing every year.

In terms of the type of ski you want to demo (or buy if you have your mind made up that way) you have to say what type of skiing your interested in...park, fast, cruising, powder(if you go out west), ect...

Archived