Brewer Fanatic

Good computer speakers?

And That
I've had the same computer speakers for around 8 years, and while they've worked wonderfully for a long time, I need a new set. I haven't even looked at computer speakers in some time, so I was wondering if any of you audiophiles out there had any suggestions. My minimal requirement is that the set is 2.1, with a powered sub. 3.1 or 5.1 suggestions would also be welcome, but I'd rather get a really good 2.1 set than a good 5.1 set. Thanks in advance!

Part of the thing that bothers me a lot about computer speakers is that a lot of what of glanced at seems to be made by computer companies, not sound companies. It is good to hear that a company like Logitech makes good speakers, but that's still a little dubious to me. FWIW, my current set are a mishmash of harman/kardon and Cambridge Soundworks speakers.

Logitech routinely gets high marks for making very good inexpensive speakers. Don't write them off so quickly Toby.

Expense isn't a large issue here. If someone came up with a pristine set of $200 computer speakers (if they even exist), I'd be fine with that. I need to hear Elliott Smith in full quality. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

FWIW, I ended up getting these:

Soundsticks. I had forgotten about them, because back when they first came out, they were Mac only and I was PC only. Now they work on PCs also, and I have a Mac. So that worked out well. That Bose set mentioned earlier did sound really good. The Klipsch's were decent, but didn't work the best at low levels, and had a subpar midrange.

Archived