Brewer Fanatic

For all the lawyers/law students out there

thevaccinator27

I know I wanted to burn my Tax 2 book but ...

Indiana Law Student Shoots Real-Estate Finance Casebook

Posted by Peter Lattman

http://online.wsj.com/public/resources/images/OB-AS587_LB_cub_20071022123222.jpgAn Indiana Law 3L was arrested last week, accused of firing a rifle from his Bloomington apartment balcony. Jesse Sneed, 27, was charged with criminal recklessness in connection with the incident, in which no one was hurt. Sneed (pictured, top left) was summarily suspended on Friday and cannot return on campus, according to a university spokesman. Here are reports from TaxProf and ATL.

What jumped out at the Law Blog were reports that he was apparently aiming his rifle at his Real Estate Transfer Finance and Development casebook (pictured, top right). The book was found in the parking lot, shot clean through by two rounds, according to investigators. Sneed, who reportedly had an AR-15 and an AK-47 in his apartment, is reportedly set to undergo a psychiatric evaluation while awaiting a court appearance.

The Law Blog reached out for the authors of Real Estate Transfer Finance and Development, law professors Grant Nelson (pictured, bottom left) and Dale Whitman (pictured, bottom right). The book, now in its seventh edition, was first published in 1976. As far as we know, it's the first time it's been shot at.

"Are you serious?" said Whitman, the former dean of Missouri Law who is teaching this semester at Wash U Law. "Wow, he must not have liked that class very much." Pausing to reflect upon the meaning of all this, Whitman then added, "I've had people that say my scholarship is shot through with holes, but I've never had anyone prove it literally."

When Nelson called us back, he reported some news himself. The longtime UCLA Law professor is now at Pepperdine, where he said classes are closed today because of the Malibu Canyon fires. "I didn't even get my Wall Street Journal this morning," said Nelson, who lives on campus.

He said he thought we were calling him about the mortgage meltdown, but we explained that we wanted his reaction to the Indiana shooting, which he hadn't heard about. "That is so bizarre," he said. "But at least he went after our casebook instead of going after people. Thank god for small blessings." He then joked: "But it might not be so bad from West's perspective, because that's one used casebook now off the market."

http://blogs.wsj.com/law/

October 22, 2007, 12:52 pm

Archived