Brewer Fanatic

La Russa to stay in St. Louis

Didn't Jim Leyland bail on the Rockies after like one year because they sucked too much?

I'm certainly no insider, but Leyland left Co. after the 1999 campaign saw them finish 70-92. This was his only year managing the Rox. He'd gone straight from Florida in 1998. After his "tenure" with the Rockies, he didn't return to managing until '06, when he took over Detroit.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Backupcatchers

Is this really about disliking LaRussa or is this disliking LaRussa because he is somebody pointed out as being a far superior manager to Yost?

Why would I hate LaRussa because of that? If that was the case I'd have to hate every manager in baseball since people have pointed out that he's the worst manager ever. My dislike for LaRussa is based on his being an over rated pompus jerk. I've disliked him long before Yost was our manager.

As for the Leyland point I'm obviously off base. One thing I would like to point out though is he did take over a team that was an unknown commodity. There was no real way to know those young guys would com ein and do what they did as rookies. I think he does well with young teams and veteran ones. Which is my main point. But he did bail on teams as well. I still believe he's a better manager than LaRussa. But that's just my personal preference of managerial style.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

But he did bail on teams as well.

Just one. And at that point, coming off winning the WS just two years prior, I don't blame Leyland for not wanting any part of the Rox. Could he have tried to wait until this current crop of talent blossomed? Sure - but how likely is it that he would've lasted that long through the bad teams Colorado trotted out there?

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Archived