Brewer Fanatic

Estrada Article in MJS--Played hurt most of year

mikerollins
So Sheets and Estrada both come off disapointing, injury plagued seasons. Both will be entering contract years. Both need to get in better shape. Hopefully, they'll both work their butts off in the offseason to get in shape. That could be a big key to next year's success.

We got about what I expected out of Estrada offensivley. I was really dissapointed by his defense. I reserved judgement untill I watched him play and I was not impressed. It wasn't his runners thrown out % that bothered me as much as him not "putting his nose on the ball." I reserved judgement on his defense this year and will assume he sucks untill he proves me wrong.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Goodness knows I nitpick his work enough, both here and to myself, but this was worth complimenting.

I'll actually share Mass' sentiments about The Prince of Darkness; I'm definitely one of his more outspoken critics around here. But I'll give him praise where praise is due here, both in the article and the follow-up blog entry. Probably the best article I've read on JSOnline about the Brewers in some time.

Tom, if you're reading this, articles like this are exactly what us Brewers fans are looking from you at the Journal Sentinel. May this be the beginning of giving your readers an endless stream of such writing.

This is nice to hear from Johnny, it's refreshing to hear something like this coming unexpectedly from Estrada, rather than hearing Menchkins complain about platooning. I was hard on Johnny this year, mainly for the hustle issues and his lack of ability to throw out baserunners. I do agree, however, that he is pretty much the best option out there for us and was when we picked him up, so I try to limit my criticisms to his lack of hustle.

If this apparent lack of hustle is related to playing injured, it's somewhat forgivable if a. it's true, which I believe it is, and b. he shows up to spring training in somewhat noticeably better shape.

in another thread, a poster cited a ML scout saying something to the effect of, "This guy just gets fatter and lazier every year," regarding Estrada. Hopefully that pattern (if it is indeed a pattern) will not continue.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

"Beyond a strained hamstring that made the already-slow Estrada even more tortoise-like, he played with a bone spur in his right elbow that prevented him from getting any zip on his throws as well as making it painful to swing the bat at times."

Well, I don't think we have to worry about Johhny stealing any tacos, either http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/laugh.gif

Seriously, I believe this. When he was healthy in April, he looked like an All-Star. I say get the elbow fixed, rehab the hammy, get on the exercise bike, and give him another chance in 2008. He was batting 300+ and was truly clutch early in the year. Stay healthy, Johnny!

Maybe someone should have limited his play or shut him down. Not like Johnny filled out the lineup card.

I realize this is probably for another thread, but I cannot resist. Yours is an entirely reasonable expectation under the circumstances. We have no reason to believe that such judgement will improve in 2008. This (more than anything else) concerns me deeply and casts a shadow on my hopes for the upcoming season.

I realize this is probably for another thread, but I cannot resist. Yours is an entirely reasonable expectation under the circumstances. We have no reason to believe that such judgement will improve in 2008. This (more than anything else) concerns me deeply and casts a shadow on my hopes for the upcoming season.
From one catcher to another, if he's not playing with at least one injury he doesn't deserve to wear the mask.

In any case, I'm looking forward to not having to take a double-take to see if it's Prince or Johnny at the plate.

I can't help but think a gimpy hammy would hinder his ability to get in front of balls in the dirt to some extent. I wasn't impressed with his reaching for the ball instead of blocking with his body. Given his hammy problem it makes sense moving around in a sqatting position would be problematic. Perhaps he should have had it taken care of sooner but I don't think the decision to try medication first can all be layed at his feet. They do have some of the best doctors in the world giving advice to both the player and the team. Had the Brewers had viable alternatives to take a larger portion of the catching duties I ted to think they would have. I like Miler as much as any 38 year old catcher. The problem is 38 year old catchers will see a huge decline in production if used too much. Which was why Melvin felt the need to get another starter. I don't think Miller would have been any more productive, and probably less, than Estrada if he would have caught more this year.

Estrada was not a great player defensively or offensively last year. When healthy he's shown himself to be above average overall. If we could have an above average catcher next year without trading or overpaying that should make it all the easier to take care of some of the other problems.

Overall good article and good news.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

"...in April, he looked like an All-Star...he was batting .300 and was truly clutch..."

The only thing true about that statement is that he was batting .300 as late as May 15th, and he had a few key hits here and there but I wouldn't call him "clutch" at any point during the season. In April with RISP, he hit .174/.296/.403 and had just 7 RBI the entire month (77AB) despite batting 5th almost entirely In May with RISP, he hit .174/.174/.174 (that's right, all singles, no walks), He did hit 5 HR that month, they were all solo shots.

He disappointed me both defensively and offensively. He hit an empty .278, and drove in a measly 54 runs, 8 of which came on 2 swings.

Yost should never have batted him 5th either like he did for half the year especially if he knew he was hurting.

He disappointed me both defensively and offensively.

Yeah -- and my beefs are things that really I don't think had anything to do with his aches/pains. I am glad though Estrada realized that his results in 2007 were not stellar.

Yost should never have batted him 5th either like he did for half the year especially if he knew he was hurting.

I keep thinking that Yost has bone-spurs in his head. He should get a MRI for that.

Archived