Brewer Fanatic

C Platoon...

TooLiveBrew

It seems this is the most obvious position where a platoon would be most efficiently utilized, since so many off days are needed to keep a backstop fresh. Is this simply a blatantly obvious reality? Or are there more nuances which would perhaps negate what seems to be the obvious answer here?

I'm not sure quite how this relates to the Crew specifically, since Estrada's 2007 splits (much more effective v. LHP, while even taking 2007 into account, his 3-yr. splits say just the opposite) are confusing. Just a thought, though, that a way to improve the offensive production from the C would be to target it as a platoon position - where your backup is going to get plenty of ABs even if you don't have it as a LH/RH splits platoon.

If this is simply obvious, please disregard. However, if there are more complex permutations to this notion, please drop your knowledge.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Well, they do like to play the backup on day games after night games, as I'm sure you know, and they'll sometimes keep pitchers and catchers together. So I think with catchers there's a lot more than offensive splits that goes into deciding who plays that day.

And I'm not really sure what to make of Estrada's splits. There might not be enough of a difference to justify using the offensive splits as a reason to start him over the factors mentioned above.

Well, they do like to play the backup on day games after night games, as I'm sure you know, and they'll sometimes keep pitchers and catchers together.

Right. To the first part, one thing that makes me wonder is whether or not a decreased 'everday' workload would lead to not necessarily needing to have off for a day game after a night game. In any event, even if that 'rule' still applies, both catchers should be more well-rested in general.

To your second notion, I agree, and that's one thing that didn't pop into my feeble mind whilst contriving my thread! http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/embarassed.gif

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I think in the case of the Brewers the time last year should have been split closer to 60/40. Day after night games plus splitting 4 game series 2 and 2 would give your starting catcher enough rest to be a little fresher at the end of the season and your backup enough regular playing time. Before this year Miller and Estrada had pretty similar 3 year stats.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Archived