Brewer Fanatic

Red Sox (Best Comeback Team Ever)?

EDIT: I'm rephrasing

If Boston completes this comeback, they will have come back from 3-0 and 3-1 within 4 years to reach back to back World Series. Is this pure luck, good managing, or great composure by veteran teams?

With the early lead tonight, I now think Boston will win the series. I think that Cleveland needed to slam the door shut in Cleveland to advance. Boston is just too good at Fenway and seems to have regained their stride. (Assuming Boston wins tonight), who are the pitching probables for Game 7?

Dice-K would start for the Red Sox, while the Indians would probably start Jake Westbrook. Talking to the Red Sox fans I know, they had next to no worries of getting to Game 7 with Beckett throwing Game 5 and Schilling throwing tonight in Game 6 -- it was Game 7 with Dice-K on the mound that they were worried about. It seems like he hit a wall late in the season and hasn't really been anything special lately.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

they have made a habit of performing well in critical situations

Check the history on that one, not just one or two situations involving extreme luck (and, yes, some good play, too). Heck, they could go out tomorrow and lose or win - tonight wasn't game 7.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Really, why would you expect a team to play differently in game 1 of a series than in game 6? To me, if a team has a 60% chance of winning the game, they'll have a 60% chance of winning each game in that series. The fact that they lost 3 then won 4, and this year may win 3 after losing 3 of 4, says little to nothing. Its just the order they happened to win 4 times over a small number of games.

The year they won the World Series,the were down 3-0 to the Yankees.In that extra innings game,there were two balls hit by the Yankees that i still remember were about an inch or two foul that would have won the game and sent the Red Sox packing.Either ball hits the chalk line instead of being an inch or two foul,suddenly they aren't so clutch and Red Sox fans are left feeling they are cursed and the Yankees own them.

The year they won the World Series,the were down 3-0 to the Yankees.In that extra innings game,there were two balls hit by the Yankees that i still remember were about an inch or two foul that would have won the game and sent the Red Sox packing.Either ball hits the chalk line instead of being an inch or two foul,suddenly they aren't so clutch and Red Sox fans are left feeling they are cursed and the Yankees own them.

In the epic 5-4, 14-inning Red Sox win in Game Five, the repositioning of Fenway Park for Ted Williams paid off as Ruben Sierra was on first and Tony Clark ripped a ground rule double to right field that almost kicked off the wall but instead bounced into the seats. If it had kicked off the wall, Sierra would have easily scored, thus giving the Yankees the lead and likely the win. The ball cleared the wall by an inch or so.

You'd have no Bloody Sock, comeback, etc. Go Indians!

I predicted this Thursday night. I was in a bar full of Indians fans in Montana when Old Man Lofton tried to psyche Beckett out on his way to the dugout. That was a huge gamble. I said "This is the turning point. If the Indians lose tonight, they will lose the series on account of that." I was roundly poo-pooed. How sweet it is. I hope our young roster was watching & learned something from that little lesson.

I predicted this Thursday night. I was in a bar full of Indians fans in Montana when Old Man Lofton tried to psyche Beckett out on his way to the dugout. That was a huge gamble. I said "This is the turning point. If the Indians lose tonight, they will lose the series on account of that." I was roundly poo-pooed. How sweet it is. I hope our young roster was watching & learned something from that little lesson.

What lesson is that, drunk people say funny things? You honestly believe they went on to win 4 games in a row because of that one play?

What lesson is that, drunk people say funny things? You honestly believe they went on to win 4 games in a row because of that one play?

Or our young players should learn not to make the same youthful mistakes that cocky Lofton kid makes?

Archived