Brewer Fanatic

Badger baseball

colbyjack

I'm currently working on compiling information for a very long feature story focusing on the Wisconsin Badgers baseball program, particularly now that Oregon has brought back their program, with quite a splash I might add (luring Cal State Fullerton coach George Horton). I have a few leads on people involved with the Badgers athletic dep't. and a few former players (I hope) that could help give some insight on what it would take to bring the program back. This is extremely unlikely, as the Badgers clearly have shown no interest in doing so as quite a few people have already gone out of their way to prove that bringing baseball back is feasible.

Anyway, I know Brewerfan.net is a wealth of knowledge, and I welcome anyone that could provide anything that could add to this story. Links, stories, contacts, anecdotes, etc. Feel free to PM or email me (pebert@brewerfan.net), and thanks in advance for any and all help you can provide.

I attended UW when baseball got cut -- Tom Fischer was drafted by the Red Sox. I met him on a couple of occasions.... He was probably their last star.

I think he still lives in the Madison area.

I know another guy (he is my insurance broker) that actually played on the hockey team -- but he was recruited to play for the baseball team, and his dad played for the Badgers (baseball) way back when. If this is the sort of thing you are interested in -- let me know and I will forward you his contact info.

The other guy I know of off-hand is Red (Bob) Wilson -- who played on the FB team as well - and was a catcher for the Tigers and White Sox. He is in the Madison area, and is a 100% awesome guy. I think he managed a bank or something after retiring as a player.

EDIT#2: -- I keep thinking of more dudes -- Bob Poser -- recently passed away -- but both him and his (Chub?) brother played at the UW -- After retiring he opened the Poser Clinic in Columbus, and his son/nephew still operate the clinic. His nephew is our family doctor. He has a display in his office to his baseball prowess. Poser though was fascinating as he was a Dr. when he pitcher (I think). Sort of like Doc Medich.

Another guy -- Thorton Kipper, he recently passed away -- but I know he wrote a book about pitching.

Cy Buker -- He is in Wisc as well -- Greenwood I think -- I traded some correspondence with him awhile back -- he was a WWII callup as a lot of the regulars were serving overseas.

EDIT: Vern Geishert is another guy that lives in the area that played at the UW. Rick Riechardt as well -- they both played for the Angels at the same time I think.

I don't know much about the baseball program I was about 9 or 10 when it was dropped. But I remember my dad taking me and my sister out of class I was in 3rd or 4th grade IIRC to see the last baseball game. It was a great game. My dad recorded some of it and I still have that tape.

Thanks FTJ. I may hit you up for some contacts when I get the ball rolling a little better. I definitely want to speak to former players.

Zachlaka, I would gladly reimburse/reward you for a copy of that tape.

And yes, the program would definitely need a major donor, as it is going to take someone with a lot of money to support the return of baseball. I remember Alvarez mentioning it as well when he took over, although I seem to recall his response wasn't all that serious about bringing the program back. Bud Selig is the most obvious alum that has a vested interest in baseball, Terry Ryan could be another, and of course Herb Kohl has already dropped quite a bit of $$$ into the athletic dep't.

Are the Zucker brothers big baseball fans? http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

The Title IX excuse is beaten to death, when in reality it boils down to money.

They would need to add another womens sport to offset the Scholies, which would be a field hockey team or something similar in size. The problem is that you would be adding to non-revenue sports, with baseball being quite expensive having to put up the team for a month down south during the spring. The biggest problem with Title IX is that it counts football scholies against the mens number. If they took football out of the equation then there would be more sports at Universities. You have to remember football at most universities pays for the other sports. UW has the rare benefit of having 3 programs in the black(football, hockey and Mens BB).

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Suzy Favor Hamilton's husband was on the baseball team. You could probably reach her/him through US Track and Field.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Yeah, I have to agree with jwill. You can say that Title IX is just an excuse and that it really boils down to money, but I think that is somewhat of a redundant statement. If they could just add the Baseball program without having to worry about offsetting it with women's scholarships, then it might not be as big of a financial hurdle.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

There was a UW baseball player in one of my senior year classes, back in the day. FTJ has jogged my memory enough to make me about 90% sure it was Tom Fischer.

However, I did not really get to know him, so I guess I am not really helping your cause, colbyjack. But thanks, FTJ!

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

You can say that Title IX is just an excuse and that it really boils down to money, but I think that is somewhat of a redundant statement. If they could just add the Baseball program without having to worry about offsetting it with women's scholarships, then it might not be as big of a financial hurdle.

I do understand what you're saying, but Oregon added competitive cheer and dropped wrestling to make baseball happen for the Title IX ramifications. Seriously, getting past those parameters is the easy part if the university was serious about bringing baseball back (which unfortunately they're not). And ask anyone that was actually part of the baseball program back in the day and they'll tell you the Title IX excuse is a crock.

However, I did not really get to know him, so I guess I am not really helping your cause, colbyjack. But thanks, FTJ!

My story is going to require quite a bit of research if I do it the way I want to, so in an indirect way you may be helping me. It may even include a field trip to your place of employment.

It may even include a field trip to your place of employment.

Oh, duh, I guess so. http://static.yuku.com//domainskins/bypass/img/smileys/wink.gif I've been off this week, so research has not been on my mind.

Depending on what you wind up seeking, I'd plan to split your time in Madison between the Historical Society and the University Archives, which is separate. I don't know the extent to which the Athletic Department might maintain its own records (rather than turn them over to the UW Archives), but that's a third possible place to visit.

Why don't you PM me whenever you know what you hope to accomplish on campus, and I'll see if I can figure out which place(s) can be of most use. Some materials may be retrievable before you arrive, thus saving you time. Depends on what you'd be seeking.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

Colby, here is a website for you to check out:

http://dug-outclub.com/Members.aspx

Some names there that are fairly accessible:

Steve Land, the final coach for the team.

Tom Bennett, former player and former head coach at Madison Memorial, still a teacher.

For what it's worth, I could ask my Dad about some stuff if you'd like, he played for the Badgers from 1969-71 along with Bennett.

"His whole life is a fantasy camp. People should plunk down $2000 to live like him for a week. Sleep, do nothing, fall ass-backwards into money, mooch food off your neighbors and have sex without dating... THAT'S a fantasy camp."

I think I'd be wary about bringing back baseball to UW if it was up to me...There was an article last sping in one of the student papers about how Baseball here would be ideal...Friday night, sunny, tailgate in Lot 76, chill in the bleachers. I agree that would be awesome, and that it would work...for the first few years.

After the novelty of baseball at UW wears off, how can you guarantee that it would still be profitable? How do we know that we would sell as many tickets as we do for FB, BBall, and Hockey?

As a fan, I would still love to see it though.

Suzy Favor-Hamilton is a realtor now, here in Madison. Looks like her husband is too: http://firstweber.com/vp/AgentServlet?SITE=FIRSTWEBER&ScreenID=AGENT_DETAIL_P&cd_Agent=30920

Another name of note is Larry Hisle Jr. He never did much as an athlete, post-college, but his dad sure did. Both would have things to say on the subject, as the younger transferred away from UW (and a starting job on the b-ball team) when the program was cut.

wisconsinfan47 wrote:

After the novelty of baseball at UW wears off, how can you guarantee that it would still be profitable? How do we know that we would sell as many tickets as we do for FB, BBall, and Hockey?

As a fan, I would still love to see it though.

I can't promise it would be, however IIRC, very few of the sports are profitable, so if baseball isn't, is it really that big a deal?

( '_')

( '_')>⌐■-■

(⌐■-■)

Thanks to everyone for chiming in. Finding the names of former players really isn't a problem thanks to Baseball Reference and Baseball Almanac.

burniebrewer, thanks a ton for that link. I would imagine after talking to a few of those people that a trip to the library, and anywhere else, wouldn't even be necessary.

As for the novelty of baseball at UW, baseball would be a non-revenue sport, another reason why a huge financial donation specifically assigned for the return of the sport would be key.

burniebrewer, thanks a ton for that link. I would imagine after talking to a few of those people that a trip to the library, and anywhere else, wouldn't even be necessary.

No problem, Colby.

It still bothers me that they cut the baseball program at UW and I'm glad to help.

Would you please post or send me a message when the story is printed? I'd love to read it.

"His whole life is a fantasy camp. People should plunk down $2000 to live like him for a week. Sleep, do nothing, fall ass-backwards into money, mooch food off your neighbors and have sex without dating... THAT'S a fantasy camp."

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Off topic, but you'd be hard pressed to explain to someone that Suzy used to sell shampoo just because she was so gorgeous.

The years sure are unkind to women.

I've seen her in person recently. That pic does not do her justice (and really, she's pretty good looking in that pic anyway. Bad hair day maybe). She's still gorgeous.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

EDIT#2: -- I keep thinking of more dudes -- Bob Poser -- recently passed away -- but both him and his (Chub?) brother played at the UW -- After retiring he opened the Poser Clinic in Columbus, and his son/nephew still operate the clinic. His nephew is our family doctor. He has a display in his office to his baseball prowess. Poser though was fascinating as he was a Dr. when he pitcher (I think). Sort of like Doc Medich.

I am from Columbus and Bob Poser played in the Majors. It was a cup of coffee, but still as famous as our little city gets.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/p/poserbo01.shtml

Archived