Brewer Fanatic

Catcher - the fastest ticket to the big leagues?

splitterpfj

J R Towles began the 2007 in high A ball, and ended it with the Houston Astros. At age 23, he climbed through A+, AA and AAA in one season, and is expected to be the Astros' starting catcher next year. Towles

Jonathan Lucroy is 21 right now, so just a bit younger then Towles, if he follows the same path, he'd hit Milwaukee in September of 09. If your kid doesn't throw with his left hand, put catcher's gear on him!

I loved the selection of Lucroy the minute I heard it, it's aggressive, but I think he could follow that same path. How awesome will it be when the Brewers actually have a home grown catcher to add to the mix?

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I remember an interview with Charlie Moore and his dad taught him to play catcher because it was the fastest path to the bigs....and that was 30 years ago. I played catcher in high school and loved it - couldn't hit worth a lick but I loved gunning guys out trying to steal and I was 'in' on every play. I think parents shy away from putting good athletes at catcher because they think the wear and tear on the knees will hurt them. Well maybe when they get on the wrong side of 30 but by then who cares?
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

It takes a special type of athlete to want to be a catcher. If you ask any catcher of course they love it, citing that they handle the ball on every single play, being in the middle of the action. But yes, it wears on an athlete, which is reason enough to play another position if one is able.

Plus, considering catchers typically have very strong arms, many prospective catchers are groomed as pitchers, which is the main reason I think there are no left-handed throwing catchers (if a lefty has a good enough arm, he is given every opportunity in the world to prove himself until his arm falls off and/or dies).

But I definitely agree, it is the one position that you will always have an increased opportunity for work. Servicable catchers are always needed, even in the minors, and especially at spring training, and often these type of players can turn their careers into a bullpen catcher, which seems to me to be about as sweet of a job one could get.

I thought my own son would have a pretty good chance of being a lefty since my wife and I both are, but he's throwing most stuff with his right hand these days, so maybe I'll have to get him some catcher's gear for x-mas.

I think a left handed catcher would have a tough time throwing out runners trying to steal third since they'd have to pivot their bodies. Kinda like there are no left handed infielders (1st baseman notwithstanding).

And if I had a son I'd get him catching gear and teach him a change up. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

And if I had a son I'd get him catching gear and teach him a change up. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

And his name would be Johnny Estrada!

Has it actually been proven that catchers make it any more quickly? It would seem logical, though certainly not the case recently in the Brewers' system.

Actually I thought catchers actually took the longest. The Chad Moeller, Johnny Estrada path where they don't get really playing time until their late 20s. It could just be that teams stick with catchers much longer than players outside of pitchers.

Yeah, I don't know if it's a 'fast' path to the majors but it's like being a left handed reliever - you almost always have a job no matter how bad you are.

I understand that a left-handed catcher would have a hard time pivoting to throw out a runner at third, but I always thought there weren't that many left-handed catchers due to the difficulty when throwing when there is right handed batters (which there are more of then leftys). Just a thought.

I think C is a lot weaker now than it was even a few years ago. That said, Estrada was behind a veteran solid C in ATL, so that can happen anytime.

Well that and the fact Estrada couldn't really hit.

As a 25 year old in AAA in 2001: 290/.319./389

As a 26 year old in AAA in 2002: .279/.322/.417

Neither is screaming Philly is blocking me!

Archived