Brewer Fanatic

I know its been a rough....

Watching the Brewers throw away games and lose but I just dont see how you can be down about this team.When this season started I didnt think we would be a first place team throughout most of the season, and that we would have a chance at the Central title. Personally I thought if we have a winning season and maybe the wildcard I would label this season as a success.

Now I am guilty of thinking at times if the Brewers dont make the postseason that this season is a wreck but you gotta know that the infield is a average of 23.5 years old, top that with a 24 year old right fielder thats 5 out of 9 players in the lineup that hasnt come close to reaching thier potential. This team is so young that it is forseeable that they will go through big ups and downs.

This team is very very talented and will only get better, and I cant wait till LaPorta gets here maybe next year or the year after but this team is gonna be amazing for the next 5-6 years. Most teams that are this young dont go that far because the young kids dont usually produce as high as this so take it as what it is.

And lastely how are the cubs keeping this up? I suspect a major collapse if this goes until middle August and drop off the face of the earth in Sept. So Im not overly concerned right now with the cubs catching us. They have to drop off somewhere.

Quote:
I just dont see how you can be down about this team.

You don't? Losing 6 games in the division in a month, the inability to play on the road and a 33-37 record since the 24-10 start is enough for me.

Quote:
And lastly how are the cubs keeping this up? I suspect a major collapse if this goes until middle August and drop off the face of the earth in Sept.

Why would you expect this? The fact that the Cubs haven't won in so long is no more relevant than the fact that the Brewers haven't been to the playoffs in 25 years. The players are all new, the coaches are new, etc.

The Cubs are a good team, no matter how much we all might wish they weren't. They have some good offensive players and some good pitchers. What's more, they have some very obvious weaknesses that if they can shore them up at all, they should improve. The Cubs have been not just bad but horrible at 4 positions this year: catcher, shortstop, center field, and right field. Any improvement the Brewers could make is not so obvious.

As for how someone can be down on the team, even if they are outperforming a person's expectations (as they are mine), it's because the Cubs gave them a chance to build an insurmountable lead and the Brewers have squandered it. Despite the fact that I thought that 2008 would be the team's breakout year, I stupidly allowed their hot start to give me some hope. Big mistake, as I should have known it would be. However, sometimes a person can't help but get excited.

The Cubs are going to collapse? That's pretty silly. Even after that white-hot streak, they're still three wins short of their Pythagorean. Them completely nose-diving is the least likely scenario. Stumbling, faltering, sure. Those are always possibilities when discussing the Cubs. But a nosedive does not appear to be in the cards.

The Cubs will hit a rough patch (may be in the midst of it right now), the only questions are how long/bad will it be, and will the Brewers be able to win enough games to take advantage of it. Cubs will not play .700 ball the rest of the way, but they will certainly win their share.

Archived