Brewer Fanatic

Torre turns down 1 year deal

trwi7

I think you mis-interpreted what i was saying Danzig. I realize that White was a hall of fame player in his prime (whereas Torre would only be coaching and not actually on the field)... however, as a few illiterated earlier, I think Torre coming here would greatly change the mindset of players who had previously not considered Milwaukee as a possible FA stop.

It would still be expensive for Milwaukee to sign FAs.... but for example. In 2003, NY/BOS/LA offer Player A $50 million over 4 years. There Brewers would have needed to bid $60-65M over 4 years to get said player. With Torre in the fold, i think it shows players that the Brewers are serious about winning, are willing to make a significant financial investment in them and the team, and want to be a bigger "factor" in the league.

I'd have to imagine that the way to make the most money with a MLB franchise (or sports franchise for that matter is) to greatly increase the exposure to the team, even if it means taking a loss in the short term.

Lets say the Brewers "Break Even" is $80 Million Payroll and the team is worth $300 Million in 2007

We spend $3-4 million/season to bring in Torre, we bring in two elite players to complement our core, and we buy out a year of Arby for our young core and payroll goes up to $100 Million.

Over the next five years, we make the playoffs 3 times, win a world series, and sell out Miller Park every game the season following the World Series. Mark A negotiates a new TV deal, and we have a steady 4-5% ticket price increase.

I would theorize (5 years from now) that under that scenario, the Brewers "value" would nearly double.

If Mark A keeps the status quo going (the Selig Model), he might make $10-15M a season (with the Brewers hovering around .500), or he can take a $10-15M loss for a few seasons, and then cash in the team for a $300M gain. I think owning a major league franchise is like the stock market. Investing short term can be very risky, but long term, increasing the value of the team is the best way to maximize the return on your investment

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If I was a highly compensated employee, and I made twice as much money as anyone else in my field I would not be insulted if my boss asked me to take a pay cut if I failed to meet my goal for the last 7 years.
What if your boss cut your pay based on wether you could win 3 out of 5 coin flips? When you look at the post season the odds of winning a game are so close to 50% it is about the same as flipping a coin. I know more goes into it than that, but add the unpredictability of the playoffs to the minimal impact a manager actually has and asking him to take a paycut is very insulting.

That scenario would seem to imply that the manager has no impact over the outcome of the games. And he may not have a great impact, that's another question for another time. But if that is the case then why pay him all that money if he's just dead weight.

Torre didn't seem to have any problems picking up the big paychecks when he was winning in the postseason, now that he's losing he's some how insulted to find out managment is not thrilled with his performance. It cuts both ways. It seems a little naive to not realize the elevator goes up and down.

I also find this interesting

When granted his last contract extension - an unprecedented $19.2 million for three years - Joe Torre proclaimed himself a Yankee for life

This is the last major league team I'm going to manage," he told those gathered at a Yankee Stadium press conference. "And I'm very proud to say that, because this is a hell of a place to hang your hat.''

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/7351780

I guess $19.2 million doesn't buy loyalty like it used to, as Torre is already solciting job offers from other teams.

It would still be expensive for Milwaukee to sign FAs.... but for example. In 2003, NY/BOS/LA offer Player A $50 million over 4 years. There Brewers would have needed to bid $60-65M over 4 years to get said player. With Torre in the fold, i think it shows players that the Brewers are serious about winning, are willing to make a significant financial investment in them and the team, and want to be a bigger "factor" in the league.

I'd have to imagine that the way to make the most money with a MLB franchise (or sports franchise for that matter is) to greatly increase the exposure to the team, even if it means taking a loss in the short term.

Lets say the Brewers "Break Even" is $80 Million Payroll and the team is worth $300 Million in 2007

We spend $3-4 million/season to bring in Torre, we bring in two elite players to complement our core, and we buy out a year of Arby for our young core and payroll goes up to $100 Million.

Over the next five years, we make the playoffs 3 times, win a world series, and sell out Miller Park every game the season following the World Series. Mark A negotiates a new TV deal, and we have a steady 4-5% ticket price increase.

I would theorize (5 years from now) that under that scenario, the Brewers "value" would nearly double.

If Mark A keeps the status quo going (the Selig Model), he might make $10-15M a season (with the Brewers hovering around .500), or he can take a $10-15M loss for a few seasons, and then cash in the team for a $300M gain. I think owning a major league franchise is like the stock market. Investing short term can be very risky, but long term, increasing the value of the team is the best way to maximize the return on your investment

Holy moly. This is such a leap in assumptions I don't even know where to begin. Paying $3-4 mil. for a bench coach? A bench coach will help defray costs and lure 'high-profile' guys to Milwaukee? Hiring an average to above-avearage manager as bench coach means we're 'serious about winning'? We weren't serious before? The way to make money is exposure, and not TV contract/network + ticket & merchandise sales?

What?

if Mark A keeps the status quo going (the Selig Model), he might make $10-15M a season (with the Brewers hovering around .500), or he can take a $10-15M loss for a few seasons, and then cash in the team for a $300M gain.

What?

You greatly overvalue the impact of Torre. If you were arguing for him as manager, I'd be slightly less wow-ed. But not much.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

You greatly overvalue the impact of Torre. If you were arguing for him as manager, I'd be slightly less wow-ed. But not much.

TLB, I think a lot of people are totally over estimating an impact Torre would have on the Brewers. He is a good manager with an extreme amount of talent. Anyone here could go to New York and put a line-up out there with the players he had and win on a regular basis. I'm not going to go as far as say we could deal with King George, the media, or the egos but that is what makes Joe Torre good. Not his in-game management, because he does the same things Ned does... just like every manager does stupid things.

Ned was raked over the coals for his use of the bullpen and people say that is one of Torre's weak points. If Torre were to come to Milwaukee his strongest points would be unneeded (handling the owner, dealing with media, and egos) since he wouldn't deal with those same problems.

I don't think Torre is the answer to our problems and I don't believe getting rid of Yost will solve it either. I honestly think the difference between the two would be minimal and focusing on the manager as the problem only allows the players to get a free pass for their shortcomings. Ned would have looked a whole hell of a lot smarter if relievers would have hit their spots and our defense knew how to field. Those two are on Melvin and how HE built the team. Any manager can only work with what he has and Torre would be working with the same players Yost would. I didn't know that Torre had a magic wand that he can wave to make the players play better.

I think Torre coming here would greatly change the mindset of players who had previously not considered Milwaukee as a possible FA stop.

Best way to do that is win.

Archived