Brewer Fanatic

Mitchell steroid probe; Latest - Clemens headed to Court; Congress

jaybird2001wi

Here is the schedule of the news conferences announcing the unveiling of the investigative report Thursday, all times CDT:

1 p.m. - George Mitchell will release his report/findings

3:30 p.m. - Baseball Commissioner Bud Selig's response

5 p.m. - Major League Baseball Players' Union response

Here is an update of the report:

Sources: Players, owners to share blame in Mitchell Report

• Replies 482
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Pedro Martinez

C'mon? Really? Pedro weighs like 170 and has his entire career. I believe his arm couldn't handle throwing high 90's with that small of a makeup. I'm sure his name is as good as anyone's out there who's had success, but I highly highly doubt his name will be mentioned at all tomorrow. If it is, and I ever see you in the line at McDonalds, a double cheeseburger is on me.

I'd be surprised if Clemens wasn't on the list. (I just read an AP report claiming that the report "fingers MVPs and All-Stars.")

But, as mentioned earlier, what's the penalty? Anything specific, in terms of suspensions, or just public shaming?

Wasn't it just a report that named Jose Guillen and Jay Gibbons which resulted in their suspensions? Just being named in this report may be enough to equate with a failed drug test, depending on what MLB/Selig decides to do.

Gruber Lawffices

I thought I heard that Mitchell, himself, in his report was going to recommend penalties for the players involved. I don't know if it will be individual or as a group... and I don't know if MLB will adhere by his recommendations, but if Selig has asked him to recommend penalties, I'm guessing there is going to be something.

I hope the report doesn't lamely fizzle out with MVP and All-stars being Ken Caminiti, Jose Canseco, Jason Giambi, and a bunch of has beens or never was players. I want to see a bunch of current and recent superstars so the MLB, the media, and fans have to confront that this issue wasnt' limited to a few slugging HR hitters. It was pitchers, it was little guys, it was medium sized guys, size of the arms didn't matter and it was widespread beyond Bonds, McGwire, and Sosa.

I am just afraid all this build up is just going to list the 70 or so players everyone already knows about.

for anybody who thinks weight is a factor, I will point to Marion Jones. What did she weigh? 120 pounds max? I remember five years ago, when people who supposedly knew everything and were former athletes came to this board and said no way would a pitcher ever do steriods. They said steriods don't help a pitcher because they affect the wrong muscles. Well, they were wrong. Five years ago, we all knew very little about steriods and HGH. the majority of players caught have been pitchers.

As a fan, I'd rather the player admitted his use than to hear his name called out tommorow and then listen to him denying it. I will know he's lying.

As for the amount of users, you have to realize the majority of players said absolutely nothing to Mitchell. he got the vast majority of his names from the former mets club house attendant and FBI case files.. I would suspect the 60-80 names represents about 1/4th of the actual amount of users.

Going just for some big names that I am pretty confident on that some may not have mentioned...

Vladmir Guerrero - Very Confident on this one. He is absolutely HUGE when you see him in person. He was always the skinny dominican player but he is rediculously big

Travis Hafner - Should be playing LG for the Packers

Roger Clemens - Pretty much positive on this one also

Jeff Bagwell - Compare pics over the years, injury bug, Caminiti

Jim Edmonds - Injury history, HR increases, played with Big Mac

Don't feel like explaining more but some more names: Curt Schilling, Ivan Rodriguez, Gary Sheffield, Frank Thomas, Aaron Rowand, Jerermy Burnitz (yep), Jim Thome, Austin Kearns, Willy Mo Pena, Miguel Tejada, Vernon Wells, Mike Sweeney, Paul Konerko, Benji Molina, Bartolo Colon, AJ Pierzinski, Jaun Gonzalez, Cliff Floyd

There are some more but those are just the top of my head educated guesses along with

Most recent closers, I bet a lot of closers are on/were on teh juice and drummroll please....

Alex Rodriguez - yes the Arod, this one will devestate people, but I believe he juiced

Sure would be sad to see Weeks, Hardy, Braun, Fielder, Hart, Gallardo, or Villanueva on the list.....ya gotta hope our youngsters are playing it straight. On the other hand, I wouldn't exactly be disappointed to see Zambrano, Rameriz, Marmal and Derek Lee as headliners. I would assume Selig will HAVE to hand down some type of suspension to current players, definitely need consequences for cheating.

"After reading this thread, I do believe that Eugene McCarthy's spirit is still alive and well in his home state."

Minnesota? Ending the Vietnam conflict? Say it ain't so, Joe.

I don't think Frank Thomas will be on the list because he was always big and I don't think PEDs help that much with a gut expanding workout plan (So that means NFL linemen don't use PEDs, I guess, hmm...).

playmaker13, Frank Thomas?

did you see his press conference after his 500th homer? Maybe you should look at what he has said in the past, he speaks strongly against steroids, and though he is huge, he has said that he has done it the right way.

edit-- you know what, i could really care less about who is on the list, I don't even care anymore, I just want to watch baseball, so as long as they play, I'm fine with that.

I think Big Reed hit about a good point about the sources for the names being put out there. I'm going to assume that the names Mitchell puts out there are the ones where there is some actual evidence as oppose to speculation. And 50-80 names is really not a whole lot when you take into consideration that we're talking about a 15-20 year time period and we already know about a large group of names that will probably be in it. Bonds, Giambi, Sheffield, Segui, Alex Sanchez, Grimsley, Palmeiro, Caminiti, Canseco, etc... If it wasn't for the Balco investigation, I don't even know if Bonds, Giambi and Sheffield would likely be named in the report, without knowing if there is other evidence that didn't come from the Balco investigation.
So, there are going to be players that we might highly suspect, but there is no really evidence for other than speculation. Either because no one named them or there isn't some sort of paper trail. Otherwise, baseball would run the risk of losing law suits left and right.
In the end I think baseball will take a hit with the report, then take another hit from people being critical of the report itself. And with an election year coming, I would not be surprise if congress starts talking about having another hearing. Maybe with Mitchell doing the report, they'll hold off, but it would be a good way for politicians to get their names in the media during an election year.

Archived