Brewer Fanatic

Graduated College and Can't Find a Job!

bobbledude25
there's always the chance that Jessica Alba will decide she needs a pasty-skinned nerd in her life)

i suggest NOT writing her letters to that regard. trust me.

a lot of businesses will pay for all or at least a portion of your grad school, too. granted, it takes a ton longer to graduate, but you also don't have the debt. and if you're just out of college and single then you've got the time.

I agree with those who say get some work experience. I'm 28 now. I went to school for tool and die out of high school. I started going back part-time at 26 for a BS in mechanical engineering. I have a long way to go yet. When I started school again, I talked to the head of engineering at the company I was working for. He told me I will have no problems finding a job (when I finish), since I have a lot of job experience. Tool and die will help for engineering, but the main idea is that they want someone who shows they can handle a full-time job and take it seriously.

As previously mentioned, just having a degree should open a lot of doors for you. At my current employer, our quality control guy has his masters degree in sociology. I don't know how that helps, but it got him many jobs in that field.

You never know what you might end up liking. The best job I have had so far, was one I was convinced would be very temporary. Find something, put your heart into it, learn from it. After a while you will know if it is something you want to continue. If it isn't, you will have that important "real job" experience.

Every job has its ups and downs though. I can think of things I loved about each job I had. The first place was a small company. I shot through the ranks, and I had a lot of responsibility. It was the most fun I had working, and I learned a lot doing it. The downfall was they couldn't pay very competitive. I went to my "dream job" in 2003 when the economy was rough. I got downsized after 2.5 months. The next job I took, I was not excited about at all. It was a great company though. I eventually spoke up, and I got moved into a position I really loved. I had great pay and benefits, and eventually a very enjoyable job too. I decided to move to AZ to go to school. I don't have a very fulfilling job, and AZ pays poorly compared to WI, but they are very flexible with school. I should start seeing tuition reimbursement also. When I finish school, I will have to decide if I can move into a position I like, or else move on.

I guess the moral of my story is similar to what someone else said. You might not start in something glamorous, but the opportunity might come (even if you don't expect it to). I worked for my parents on their dairy farm growing up, so I don't completely understand typical jobs for students. I do know that it probably gives you some good experience, but employers probably don't take it serious. Any job now is going to help you a lot. Whether it is moving up at the company, or building the experience part of your resume.

One thing I have noticed, and I was guilty of it: When you are young and fresh out of school, more often than not you are going to think your first job is the worst ever. Many people I know have felt this way, but a couple of years down the road, you realize it wasn't so bad. Maybe you just become broken down as you grow older! I think most of us are just too picky to start out though.

You'll do fine. Hopefully down the road, you will have a few opportunities come your way that you never thought were possible. You just need to get yourself in there to make it happen.

I agree with those who say get some work experience. I'm 28 now. I went to school for tool and die out of high school. I started going back part-time at 26 for a BS in mechanical engineering. I have a long way to go yet. When I started school again, I talked to the head of engineering at the company I was working for. He told me I will have no problems finding a job (when I finish), since I have a lot of job experience. Tool and die will help for engineering, but the main idea is that they want someone who shows they can handle a full-time job and take it seriously.

As previously mentioned, just having a degree should open a lot of doors for you. At my current employer, our quality control guy has his masters degree in sociology. I don't know how that helps, but it got him many jobs in that field.

You never know what you might end up liking. The best job I have had so far, was one I was convinced would be very temporary. Find something, put your heart into it, learn from it. After a while you will know if it is something you want to continue. If it isn't, you will have that important "real job" experience.

Every job has its ups and downs though. I can think of things I loved about each job I had. The first place was a small company. I shot through the ranks, and I had a lot of responsibility. It was the most fun I had working, and I learned a lot doing it. The downfall was they couldn't pay very competitive. I went to my "dream job" in 2003 when the economy was rough. I got downsized after 2.5 months. The next job I took, I was not excited about at all. It was a great company though. I eventually spoke up, and I got moved into a position I really loved. I had great pay and benefits, and eventually a very enjoyable job too. I decided to move to AZ to go to school. I don't have a very fulfilling job, and AZ pays poorly compared to WI, but they are very flexible with school. I should start seeing tuition reimbursement also. When I finish school, I will have to decide if I can move into a position I like, or else move on.

I guess the moral of my story is similar to what someone else said. You might not start in something glamorous, but the opportunity might come (even if you don't expect it to). I worked for my parents on their dairy farm growing up, so I don't completely understand typical jobs for students. I do know that it probably gives you some good experience, but employers probably don't take it serious. Any job now is going to help you a lot. Whether it is moving up at the company, or building the experience part of your resume.

One thing I have noticed, and I was guilty of it: When you are young and fresh out of school, more often than not you are going to think your first job is the worst ever. Many people I know have felt this way, but a couple of years down the road, you realize it wasn't so bad. Maybe you just become broken down as you grow older! I think most of us are just too picky to start out though.

You'll do fine. Hopefully down the road, you will have a few opportunities come your way that you never thought were possible. You just need to get yourself in there to make it happen.

thanks for the encouragement. I just dont understand how people can say well you graduated w/history so know wonder why you cant get a job. I can think of at least 3 members of my family who have graduated college and are workingat a place that has nothing to do at all with there degree.

As for going back to school...it just doesnt seem like an option right now. It took me 6 years and three colleges to graduate due to constantly being involved in sports and not being able to take as many credits as I would have like but I have no regrets although I am happy to be done.

thanks for the encouragement. I just dont understand how people can say well you graduated w/history so know wonder why you cant get a job. I can think of at least 3 members of my family who have graduated college and are workingat a place that has nothing to do at all with there degree.

Well it would help somewhat if you knew what you would like to do, or at least what you are interested in. It would just be unfortunate to pay all that money to go to college and then get a job that pays $8.00 an hour. I think History would be incredibly interesting to major in, but like many, including myself, have pointed out, it doesnt develop a skill that employers are looking for, or least not one that would get you a job that you could get without that skill.

If your resume reads like this it's no wonder you're having problems.

No offense, more a try at humor. A thread about having problems finding a job includes a post from the originator that has at least four typo's. Followed closely by a post with a terrific 3 line run-on sentence. It made me laugh.

I understand typing in a forum is obviously different than a resume.

If your resume reads like this it's no wonder you're having problems.

No offense, more a try at humor. A thread about having problems finding a job includes a post from the originator that has at least four typo's. Followed closely by a post with a terrific 3 line run-on sentence. It made me laugh.

I understand typing in a forum is obviously different than a resume.

Your last sentence...bingo. Obviously, I'm typing fast and could care less if I make a spelling mistake on here buddy. thanks you made me laugh to! Quote: " No offense, more a try at humor." Spelling out four but followed closely by "3" not spelled out. Nice

Us History majors need to stick together on this one. No offense to some of the other posters but a lot of this stuff has been really terrible advice. Just interview a lot of places and throw your resume out to places even if you think you arent qualified or the posting says you arent. My job requires an Business Agriculture degree and i couldnt have named a single course in that major when i got the job. The better you get at interviewing, the more likely you are to get a potential employer to take a chance with you

Us History majors need to stick together on this one. No offense to some of the other posters but a lot of this stuff has been really terrible advice. Just interview a lot of places and throw your resume out to places even if you think you arent qualified or the posting says you arent. My job requires an Business Agriculture degree and i couldnt have named a single course in that major when i got the job. The better you get at interviewing, the more likely you are to get a potential employer to take a chance with you

I agree w/you. I've heard someone say this to me before

The most miserable time of my life was the nine months after I graduated and getting my first "real" job. I worked in a couple of bars and spent most of that time being bitter and anxious and generally a grouch. So, I understand where you're coming from.

My only advice is to remember that nobody owes you anything, and prospective employers don't give a rip about your situation. Your job is to impress them that you're skilled, flexible, hungry and motivated. Allow for the possibility of relocating and on-the-job travel, and you stand out even further.

And also know that first "real" job is still likely to be just resume fodder for the next one, and the next one after that.

Good luck and remain positive, even when your instincts tell you not to.

Brewerfever, it actually would go by the initials SP. Are you familiar with it or do I work with you and not know it?
I work for Pat at HP with Jason, Chuck, and Sally, so I've heard alot about SP. I was taken back when I read your reply in this thread...small world. And you're right, it is a pretty great job.

Another thing I would like to add when job hunting: Take a good look at the employee base. Are there a lot of older people that have been there a long time? Is there a lot of turnover? The job I said I thought was the best, had a lot of people that were there for 10+ years. That usually means they treat their employees pretty well. I know when I started there, I thought there was only one position I really wanted. Everyone has so much experience, and I thought I wouldn't be able to move to that area. I did end up getting that position, even though I originally thought I had no chance to ever get it. It only took a little over 2 years to get there too. As long as you speak up and let an employer know where you want to go, that will stick in their minds. I probably would have got the position I wanted sooner if I had been more aggressive. My first place was so small, and I was used to having everything fall into my lap.

At my current job, I applied for a lead position. I knew I had no chance for it with my schedule. I just wanted to emphasize that I didn't move here for the job I had. I want to move up when opportunities arise. I just wanted to keep my name and goals in their minds. I think it will pay off when I can put more effort into work rather than school. They still told me that they were seriously considering giving it to me, because they liked the attitude and initiative I showed.

I guess my point is don't limit yourself to just the jobs you want if you are having a tough time. Look for a place that has a position you would want in the future(even if it is currently unavailable). When you interview let them know your goals. You can gain some very valuable experience, and hopefully relatively soon after, get the position you desire. Sometimes all you need is a foot in the door.

I hope you can find a job you love off the bat, but be open to realize sometimes you have to put a little extra time and effort to get there. I am sure many here can agree with that. Not all of us were able to land a job we love right away, but we eventually get there. You still can get to where you want to go with the right attitude. Best of luck!

Archived