Brewer Fanatic

Give me Something!

jhpc12

This as been the longest 2 1/2 weeks of my life. Last year at this time there were so many unknowns that there was always something to discuss or argue about. I consider myself a baseball fanatic,but I'm not really excited about the playoffs, there just a TV feeler during the week to get to Football on the weekend.

Last year the board was full of opinions. Starting outfield (moving Hall to center, what to do with Jenkins in left, and how long before they gave Corey the chance he deserved), starting infield ( was Consell or Graf going to be able to handle third, how soon to bring up Braun), pitching rotation (who was going to be our 3rd, 4th and 5th starters), & the pen (little to talk about here we thought that this was the strong part of the club. MAYBE NOT) Shoot we talked about the pitching rotation for months.

Now the future is bright, with just a few unknowns. I don't really see the Brewers doing much, pick up an outfielder, maybe a catcher, and definitely improve the pen.

But gosh fire another coach, catch a player in an unlawful act (just kidding of course), but the Brewers need to do something to give us something to talk about or I'll never make it through the end of October.

I'm also feeling fallout. I can't help but think that this postseason is a little boring. It's nice to see two small-market teams succeed, but nearly every game has been a blowout or lacking excitement.

This offseason will be the longest in recent memory.

For some reason I've actually enjoyed this post season more than usual. So, for me the, Brewer front is quiet but the basball front has been enjoyable.

I'm sort of expecting a quiet off season. Mostly because the better teams generally have quieter offseasons. No big changes in the front office and fewer holes to fill on the roster make for a boring offseason. I wouldn't be at all surprised if Melvin starts working on buying out a year of free agency with Prince and Weeks in exchange for more money next year. Even Boras should be interested in taking more money next year if it only cost him a year of free agency. After all is said an done the money would be comparable so why not take some of it earlier?

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

This as been the longest 2 1/2 weeks of my life. Last year at this time there were so many unknowns that there was always something to discuss or argue about. I consider myself a baseball fanatic,but I'm not really excited about the playoffs, there just a TV feeler during the week to get to Football on the weekend.

Wow, I couldn't disagree with you more.

It was great watching the Cubs fall flat on their behinds. It's been amazing to see the Rockies go on such an incredible historic run. It's been awesome to see the Yankees fall to the young and hungry Indians. It's been even more fun watching the Red Sox struggle because I am SO sick of that team. I love that we have some new teams in the postseason and that a Rockies vs. Indians series would give a new city a chance to enjoy a championship. Both towns seem electric right now and I can definitely feel that energy.

I agree, I have enjoyed the playoffs quite a bit already, particularly the Cubs getting swept.

After the World Series you're going to get a lot more meaningful news, other than "Steinbrenner holed up in Tampa Bay with Yankees brass" like right now.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

I think, as far as the Brewers are concerned, there was a lot more to talk about last year than this year. We had 6-7 starting spots that we didn't know for sure who would be starting last offseason. This year we have 1-2.

2006 catching

Would we pick up Miller's option year? Would Rivera start over Miller?

2007 catching

Will we offer Miller an extension? Can we find a better catcher than Estrada?

2006 infield

Who will start at SS? Will Weeks move to CF for Hall? Will Koskie come back? Will Hall get playing time somewhere on the infield?

2007 infield

Who is our 2nd backup infielder?

2006 outfield

Will we trade Jenkins and/or Mench? Will Hart get more playing time? Will Gwynn start over Clark in CF? Will Hall or Weeks play CF?

2007 outfield

Will/should we pick up Jenkins option?

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

I'm quite annoyed at this postseason. I don't have cable. So it's more or less like all the momentum for the end of the regular season stopped because there was no baseball games to watch on TV for over a week. And now it's down to just showing the occasional Cleveland- Sox game. I have an XM to listen to the Brewers, but I'm not interested in just listening to other teams play.

A lot has gelled for the Crew this year.

Hall and Hart have two OF spots locked up (CF/RF, LF/CF, CF/LF, or LF/RF). We're just kicking around who the third starting OF will be, and Gabe Gross may be the front-runner (and I think he'd do a good job in any of the spots).

IF? We're talking who the backup will be. Rottino (who may be the second catcher instead), Dillon, or some free agent.

C? Estrada's the starter, and he isn't bad, nor is he elite. Again, we're the beackup, be it Rottino, Rivera, Munson, or someone new.

I agree with what clancy wrote, other than the statement about Hall having an OF spot locked up. There seems to be more talk lately about Hall possibly moving back to the infield somewhere (maybe Braun moving to the outfield), or even being traded. Personally, I think one or a cominbation of Hall, Gwynn, or even Weeks are going to be traded this off-season. Both of those scenarios obviously open up a whole 'nother can o' worms, of course.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Out of all the moves that can be made, please let involve a catcher. Estrada had one good year with the Braves. At Philly he was very medicore and not much better in Arizona.

A .270 light hitting catcher that threw out only 7% of base runners is pathetic.

I went to the series in Atlanta and in the first game I believe the Braves stole 5 or 6 bases in the first two innings. His throws were late, short, long, wide, or wild. I can't believe we weren't ran on more.

So I hope the powers that be atleast give Rottino a long look because I believe that he can throw out 7% by accident and like Corey he gets better everytime he is given a chance. I don't believe he is an everyday player, but maybe a gap filler until somebody emerges from the minors or a deal can be made.

I agree with what clancy wrote, other than the statement about Hall having an OF spot locked up. There seems to be more talk lately about Hall possibly moving back to the infield somewhere (maybe Braun moving to the outfield), or even being traded. Personally, I think one or a cominbation of Hall, Gwynn, or even Weeks are going to be traded this off-season. Both of those scenarios obviously open up a whole 'nother can o' worms, of course.

I also feel there is a 90% chance one of Hall, Weeks, or Gwynn will go. 86% Gwynn, 2% Hall and 2% Weeks.

And who's talking about moving Hall back to the IF? I'd like to see him back in a super starter role, playing a lot of OF and then backing up the IF spots. But seeing as they signed on Counsell for the sum they did, I think they are commited to him being the top backup IFer. In all likelyhood, I see them sticking to all their commitments - Braun stays at 3B, Weeks at 2B, Hall in CF, Counsell as the top backup IFer...

Let the Palmisano Era Begin!

Will Prince Fielder Devour an Entire Goat in the Offseason?

Vinny Rottino is a Big Fan of the Blue Man Group. No. Really.

Who Would Make the Better Color Man: Dave Bush or Billy Castro?

Is it True that Joe Torre Fathered a Love Child While With the Brewers?

What's the Highest Classification Offense for which a Brewer Will Be Arrested this Offseason?

To Whom does Derrick Turnbow Pray?

Weak, I know, but dude wanted something to discuss.

Personally, I think one or a cominbation of Hall, Gwynn, or even Weeks are going to be traded this off-season. Both of those scenarios obviously open up a whole 'nother can o' worms, of course.

I disagree I think Melvin will pretty much sit tight other than replacing Jenkins and fixing the catcher and bullpen positions. I don't expect many major moves this year. Although moving Gwynn would not, IMO, constitute a major deal so that might happen but I don't think Billy and Ricky are going anywhere.

Billy won't go anywhere, he had the worst year of his career, after he changed positions and rushed back on a bad ankle and was all but benched as a result.

Gwynn, on the other hand, fresh off 1 hit off of Trevor Hoffman may be at his highest trade value ever. I could see him being moved (although he's not a bad option for a 4th OF).

So, who are the 5 starters next year?

Sheets, Suppan, Gallardo and?

Does Villanueva finally get his shot? Bush was our most consistent pitcher in the second half of the season, does he stay in the rotation? Vargas? Capuano?

Can we go with a rotation without a lefty? What about Manny Parra?

5 starters for 2 spots. Sounds like a battle royale!

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

The postseason has been pretty boring for me also. But that has to do with having my heart broke by the Brewers (and in real life) so I just can't seem to get excited about baseball right now. But I did watch the Cubs' 3rd game. I wasn't going to miss that for the world.

I also can't see Hall being traded. You don't trade someone that just had their worst year. And I want TGJ off this team so bad so people stop thinking he should be handed a starting job because of his pappa. TGJ will not be an elite MLB hitter! Having a famous dad and being able to run fast does not make you great at baseball.

The only big thing that could happen is that we will probably deal from our SP strength. I don't expect them all to leave, but having that many #4's allows you to add some to a trade to get some value back.

The poster previously known as Robin19, now @RFCoder

EA Sports...It's in the game...until we arbitrarily decide to shut off the server.

Archived