Brewer Fanatic

The new Star Trek film/any other Trek fans out there?

And That

If there were any further proof needed that I'm a dork, I've been a life-long Star Trek fan. While I grew up on TNG, I love TOS (I have all the series discs coming up shortly in my Netflix queue), and have watched most of DS9 and Voyager. Though I've not seen much of Enterprise, all of the series have their charms and I'll be sad when the day comes that the Roddenberry's universe no longer exists on the silver screen or on TV.

I've also become fascinated with the making of the new Star Trek movie. It's an attempt by Paramount to resurrect the franchise after Enterprise bombed, and also as a result of the dwindling returns since the Star Trek: Generations film. If you haven't been following it, J.J. Abrams (Lost, Alias, MI:3) is directing and a non-Trek writing team (who claim to be following canon to the letter) is writing the script (their last movie was Transformers - take that for what you will).

The film takes place before TOS, and will feature a combination of Christopher Pike and James Kirk. Another thing that's become almost bizarre to follow is the casting process for the movie. For instance, Simon Pegg as Scotty is sheer genius, while Chris Pine as Kirk himself seems to be a reach. The guy who plays ultra-villan Sylar on "Heroes" is Spock. There's even a rumor that Tom Cruise is going to play Pike. James Cho (of "Harold and Kumar Go To White Castle" fame) is going to play Sulu, and apparently Anton Yelchin, who is one of my favorite young actors, is going to play Chekov. Karl Urban might play McCoy.The project is rumored to be budgeted at over $150 mil, and will be released on Christmas 2008.

Whew. Is there anyone else as interested in this as I am?

I'm interested! *YEA* for a Star Trek thread! I'm a dork too because TNG is one of my favorite tv shows ever. I've heard about the movie, but did not hear that Simon Pegg was also in it. I *heart* him. I haven't really been interested in other Star Trek series, although I have tried. A good friend of mine from high school is a big original fan, and to debate the best capitan I watched a couple seasons and the movies. I did enjoy them, but not so much Voyager, Entereprise, etc.

I can't post anymore right now because I love New York is on, but I'll be back. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

I am a big Star Trek fan as well. I watched the original series in reruns when I was younger and was a huge fan of TNG. I was so mad when Paramount killed it in it's prime. I tried, but could never really get into DS9 or Voyager. Too much of a soap opera. I got into Enterprise, but it was still lacking. I think Rick Berman strayed too far from Roddenberry's vision as time went on.

I'm looking forward to the new movie, but it will be odd seeing new actors playing such well known characters. Hopefully, this will breathe some new life into Star Trek.

J.J. Abrams (Lost, Alias, MI:3) is directing and a non-Trek writing team (who claim to be following canon to the letter) is writing the script (their last movie was Transformers - take that for what you will).

Another thing that's become almost bizarre to follow is the casting process for the movie. For instance, Simon Pegg as Scotty is sheer genius, while Chris Pine as Kirk himself seems to be a reach. The guy who plays ultra-villan Sylar on "Heroes" is Spock. There's even a rumor that Tom Cruise is going to play Pike. James Cho (of "Harold and Kumar Go To White Castle" fame) is going to play Sulu, and apparently Anton Yelchin, who is one of my favorite young actors, is going to play Chekov. Karl Urban might play McCoy.The project is rumored to be budgeted at over $150 mil, and will be released on Christmas 2008.

Wow... it looks like they even got the relative ages of the actors right based on canon, with the exception fo John Cho (who's 35 but looks 25). Given that... thing... known as Transformers, this can be seen as at least a step in the right direction...

I am really pumped up about this. Also Leonard Nimoy is playing the older spock, while Zach Quinto is playing the younger one (obviously) so the rumor is that they are playing with timelines abit. This also suggests a theory that I read on another message board, but I don't want to post it here, unless there is a good way of hiding potential spoilers. Is white font good enough? Any suggestions?

I also love the four lights reference, definitely one of my favorite TNG episodes, probably behind the borg/loqutus cliffhanger... Fire!

Interesting... i was reading an article a few weeks ago that mentioned that Star Trek TNG basically invented the "Season Finale" Cliffhanger with the "Borg Episodes" in the arc over Season 3 to 4. I had heard for awhile that Matt Damon was rumored to be interested in playing Kirk, saying that it was his "dream role". Maybe, however, his character is too type-cast as Jason Bourne. Given his other high profile movie success however, its possible he might be able to pull it off. Certainly James Bond did a great job casting Daniel Craig, who IMHO was largely an unknown at the time, as 007.

Anyways, i think DS9 is definitely my favorite series of the bunch, and i think this could be a great project

James Bond: Reinvented

Batman: Reinvented

Might as well try to reinvent Star Trek

I'm watching season 3 of DS9 right now. I love Star Trek. DS9 was my favorite Star Trek show as well. The writing on DS9 rivaled B5 and in my opinion was among the best Sci-Fi ever written.

This project is definitely interesting. The casting will be key. I can't wait to see the movie.

DS9 lost me after the 2nd year. It was good stuff...just didn't hook me.

I saw most of the Voyagers, but was never a big fan.

TOS and TNG are cool, but it seems to me that TOS hold up better over time.

All the movies were cool, for some unknown reason, I really liked VI.

This movie could be seriously good. Lot of risk/reward here.

I know that prequals are about the only direction left, but I'd be thrilled if TNG storyline could be advanced with an Enterprise-E.

I win my geek-points for the day!

You know I wonder how they are going to incorporate the Capt. Pike story into it. I gotta admit, all I know is he got injured and burned badly at some point and confined to his roller thing - is that the reason why Kirk took over? I like ST trivia, but I don't know the obscure part of the canon.

Tom Cruise as Pike would be an interesting choice, but I would like to see Ray Liotta, I can see the similarities. I also watched the original Pike pilot and it really popped out how chauvinistic he was.

Also I am thinking about buying TOS on DVD, I just love the digital enhancements they made to it by making it better without it being too distracting and useless like another big sci-fi franchise that shall remain nameless http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

Interesting... i was reading an article a few weeks ago that mentioned that Star Trek TNG basically invented the "Season Finale" Cliffhanger with the "Borg Episodes" in the arc over Season 3 to 4.
Wasn't who shot JR the original cliffhanger? Either way this one is probably the best cliffhanger for a season. Although the hatch on Lost is close behind!

I'm watching season 3 of DS9 right now. I love Star Trek. DS9 was my favorite Star Trek show as well.
Originally I thought DS9 was ok, until the story lines with the dominion came up and then it really turned it on for me. I loved it! I gotta say Voyager didn't capture my attention like I thought it would, but the doctor was funny!
Why did they have to kill Data? Why?

Yeah losing Data Sucked, but Brent Spiner was getting a little older and a little pudgier and I think he was tired of playing data and decided that it needed a rest. Not like Data could age, although I suppose the writers could have come up with an pinicchio-like idea to make him human, but that would defeat the point of the character - someone who tries to be human but could never be.

DS9 lost me after the 2nd year. It was good stuff...jsut didn't hook me.

Seasons one and two were the first act of DS9. They were there to set up the main storyline that began in season three and went into full bore in season four. The real main storyline of DS9 didn't really go into high gear until season four. You should really consider going back and watching the third and fourth seasons. After that you should be hooked.

The hatch that wasn't even resolved during the first episode of the next season? Yeah, that was great as the ridiculousness of that finally convinced me to kick Lost to the curb.

I'll agree that the first two seasons of DS9 were pretty much a prelude to what the series really was about. Would have been nice if they got to it a little quicker, but that series really should be looked at more like a slow burn. And once it reached full intensity, it sustained it for a remarkably long time.

Everything I have read about the new movie is that it is supposed to take place during Academy training for the original crew. So Pike shouldn't be that much older then the rest of the cast, pretty much eliminating Liotta and probably Cruise as well.

Archived